• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should station lavatories in London accept Oyster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OLJR

Member
Joined
20 Apr 2011
Messages
225
Location
Pimlico
When I travelled through London Bridge last night I noticed, as I have at other stations, that a small fee is required to use the station lavatory.

The fare was 30p and you have to put money into a turnstile barrier. Which is all very well, but I hardly ever carry cash with me and if I do it is normally in the form of ten or twenty Pound notes.

I reckon that it should be possible to tap into and out of a London station lavatory with an Oyster card. Is there any substantive reason for TfL and the station operators not to do this?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Qwerty133

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2012
Messages
2,622
Location
Leicester/Sheffield
No, they should not charge.
On another note for a period (a couple of years ago, when the new? ones had opened but there was still female ones on the other bridge) Birmingham New Street had free toilets for females but all the male toilets were chargeable.
But seriously this could open up offers for toilet use, eg:7 day season for £1.20, half price/third off for railcard holders and children, annual pass (£20?)...
 
Last edited:

ASharpe

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2013
Messages
1,024
Location
West Yorkshire
They really shouldn't charge.

Train toilets can't be cleaned as frequently and some people will wait until they get on board to spend a penny.

For anyone else who resents having to pay at Kings Cross: you can walk across the road and use the Toilets at St Pancras for free.
 

6Gman

Established Member
Joined
1 May 2012
Messages
9,221
When I travelled through London Bridge last night I noticed, as I have at other stations, that a small fee is required to use the station lavatory.

The fare was 30p and you have to put money into a turnstile barrier. Which is all very well, but I hardly ever carry cash with me and if I do it is normally in the form of ten or twenty Pound notes.

I reckon that it should be possible to tap into and out of a London station lavatory with an Oyster card. Is there any substantive reason for TfL and the station operators not to do this?

What an excellent idea!

I know a lot of people object to a fee, but if it keeps them clean and well-stocked, and keeps out the undesirables, then 30p seems not un reasonable.
 

TheEdge

Established Member
Joined
29 Nov 2012
Messages
4,498
Location
Norwich
What an excellent idea!

I know a lot of people object to a fee, but if it keeps them clean and well-stocked, and keeps out the undesirables, then 30p seems not un reasonable.

Agree on all counts.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
I also agree with the suggestion. I can't see it happening yet, but it could one day.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,724
Location
Scotland
I also don't have a problem with a fee - but please, for god's sake, make sure the change machine takes folding money! Could've had a very bad start to a day a Liverpool Lime Street if not for the kindness of the toilet attendant.
 

PeterY

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2013
Messages
1,363
The toilets on the platforms at London Bridge are free. I try to avoid paying to use the loo but do make sure I carry some change... just in case.
 

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Joined
23 Aug 2014
Messages
2,544
If it wasn't for the scumbags who constantly vandalize them, then you wouldn't have companies taking the pee in charging now would you?
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,462
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
I also don't have a problem with a fee - but please, for god's sake, make sure the change machine takes folding money! Could've had a very bad start to a day a Liverpool Lime Street if not for the kindness of the toilet attendant.

Surely that have been a matter to have been in the discussions with the turnstile manufacturers prior to the purchase of them. Who do think will be then responsible for ensuring that there would be a much larger amount of change installed in the said turnstile money mechanism to give when a currency note was tendered than there would be if coins only needed to be tendered e.g. the 30p figure mentioned in two postings so far.
 

rebmcr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
4,005
Location
St Neots
For anyone else who resents having to pay at Kings Cross: you can walk across the road and use the Toilets at St Pancras for free.

Free and probably the nicest public toilets I've ever used. Plenty of decently-sized stalls to cope with demand, appear to have someone on cleaning duty at all times, no harsh lighting, and a layout that means you don't have to touch any door handles after washing your hands. Clearly designed by a smart person.
 

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2013
Messages
5,473
Location
London
Free and probably the nicest public toilets I've ever used. Plenty of decently-sized stalls to cope with demand, appear to have someone on cleaning duty at all times, no harsh lighting, and a layout that means you don't have to touch any door handles after washing your hands. Clearly designed by a smart person.

I must be going in different toilets at St Pancras then, as every time I've been in them they've been an advertisement for why they should be charging!

Though having said that, the ones at Euston haven't been much better when I've been in them, and those are pay per pee.
 

Saint66

Member
Joined
15 Dec 2013
Messages
826
Location
Herts
In my experience, the toilets at St Pancras have always been much nicer to use than the pay ones at Euston.

Somewhat off topic... I used Leeds' toilets for the first time on Friday... Why are they 40p, while most in London are just 30p?
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,311
Location
Bolton
Again, the toilets on the platforms at Leeds are free, although somewhat cramped!
 

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Joined
28 Dec 2010
Messages
2,087
Location
Ellesmere port
It would seem a sensible option, bit like how the octopus cards work in Hong Kong.

Although I don't believe in pay toilets so I simply find alternative such as a McDonalds or something.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,724
Location
Scotland
Who do think will be then responsible for ensuring that there would be a much larger amount of change installed in the said turnstile money mechanism to give when a currency note was tendered than there would be if coins only needed to be tendered e.g. the 30p figure mentioned in two postings so far.
It's not so much the turnstiles themselves, as the change machines that are often found close by. In most London terminals they take £5 notes, but the one in Liverpool Lime Street has had the note mechanism removed and only takes coins now.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
You could always touch your oister for different elimentts too? Touch once just to go, another for soap and water and another for a dryer? Joking! Agree it would be a good idea though, roll it out to LU Stations too?↲
 

DelayRepay

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2011
Messages
2,929
I think this is a good idea - and would probably benefit Network Rail by meaning they don't have to collect and bank a load of small coins.

Like the railway they could make you touch out when you've finished, and have the equivalent of a maximum journey time with a surcharge for anyone who takes too long.
 

306024

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2013
Messages
3,974
Location
East Anglia
Never mind Oyster, Octopus, or any other sea creature. Is not the latest technology a contactless debit card reader?

Hong Kong indeed had the Octopus card years ago, good in 7-eleven stores and other outlets. But even that is beginning to look like old hat.
 

spongsdad

Member
Joined
17 Sep 2013
Messages
160
I trust that there would be additional benefits for first class passengers: at the very least upholstered and freshly laundered seats.
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
Being prehistoric, this card-naming started many moons ago with the Goldfish card. Now it's gone full circle. The London Borough of Camden gents W.C.s at Holborn had goldfish in the tanks= I'm sure if you google you'll get full chapter and verse!
 

Searle

Established Member
Joined
4 May 2012
Messages
1,580
Location
Ladbroke Grove
Free and probably the nicest public toilets I've ever used. Plenty of decently-sized stalls to cope with demand, appear to have someone on cleaning duty at all times, no harsh lighting, and a layout that means you don't have to touch any door handles after washing your hands. Clearly designed by a smart person.

You haven't been to the arrivals at Gatwick, they are luxurious :lol:

Also when at Piccadilly, I usually just jump onto a Pendolino and use the toilet there, as they're pretty close to the concourse. If I'm travelling to Hertford from King's Cross, I'll happily get on a train to Finsbury Park, use the toilet there and then catch the Hertford train from there, just to avoid the 30p ;)
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
When I travelled through London Bridge last night I noticed, as I have at other stations, that a small fee is required to use the station lavatory.

The fare was 30p and you have to put money into a turnstile barrier. Which is all very well, but I hardly ever carry cash with me and if I do it is normally in the form of ten or twenty Pound notes.

I reckon that it should be possible to tap into and out of a London station lavatory with an Oyster card. Is there any substantive reason for TfL and the station operators not to do this?

So because you cant be bothered to carry small change, TfL, NR etc have to go to the expense of installing Oystercard readers on all the toilets!

Although I agree it seems to be a good idea would the increase in revenue (or any savings that may be possible) cover the costs of installation and maintenance?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top