• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should rail staff give first aid to passengers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
Surely not stopped between stations, would it not be better to get the train held at the next station by activating the alarm upon the train stopping?

That's true. On a train, you're best to wait until you're at a station before activating the alarm, because then a paramedic can get to you. Out of curiosity, if you were on a limited stop service, would the guard/TTI be able to contact the driver without stopping the train to tell him/her to make an additional stop at the next station?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,904
Location
East Anglia
That's true. On a train, you're best to wait until you're at a station before activating the alarm, because then a paramedic can get to you. Out of curiosity, if you were on a limited stop service, would the guard/TTI be able to contact the driver without stopping the train to tell him/her to make an additional stop at the next station?

On a 170 for example the pass-com has an in-cab over-ride foot press (mushroom) allowing the driver to carry on to the next suitable stopping point without a pointless & inconvenient stop to re-set & continue.
 

scotsman

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2010
Messages
3,252
On a 170 for example the pass-com has an in-cab over-ride foot press (mushroom) allowing the driver to carry on to the next suitable stopping point without a pointless & inconvenient stop to re-set & continue.

Voyagers, Meridians (presumably) and Mk4s all have this in some form.
 

O L Leigh

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2006
Messages
5,609
Location
In the cab with the paper
Surely not stopped between stations, would it not be better to get the train held at the next station by activating the alarm upon the train stopping?

Well obviously. But then they could just as easily send someone else off to find the conductor or some other member of staff (if there is one).

There is a little sticker on our Cl315's telling passengers to contact the driver if they require use of the first aid kit "...using the passenger alarm if necessary". I wasn't even aware they carried one and wouldn't know where to start looking for it.

O L Leigh
 

CarterUSM

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2010
Messages
2,495
Location
North Britain
Well obviously. But then they could just as easily send someone else off to find the conductor or some other member of staff (if there is one).

There is a little sticker on our Cl315's telling passengers to contact the driver if they require use of the first aid kit "...using the passenger alarm if necessary". I wasn't even aware they carried one and wouldn't know where to start looking for it.

O L Leigh

I would have thought it was in the emergency equipment cupboard with the rope and ladders? If the 315 has such a cupboard?
 

Traveller

Member
Joined
22 Sep 2010
Messages
17
I'm not First Aid trained and am not likely to want to be as I rather let the paramedics get on with the job that they have been highly trained for - I don't know a passengers's medical history nor can easily check but a paramedic easily could.

How will a paramedic know a person's medical history?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I also agree that FCC was a little silly by saying staff should give first aid only to other members of staff. Clearly the person who said that was a believer of all the same myths.


What they said is correct. Employers have a duty to provide first aid to their employees. There is no responsibilty to provide it to the public, although in reality a first aider is unlikely to refuse.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,955
Location
UK
Yes, they do have a duty (can't remember the number of first aiders per xx staff) but they were wrong to say what they did. They should have said that it was up to the member of staff that had the training.

Any first aider can still refuse to give first aid and not get into trouble (unlike in France).
 

O L Leigh

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2006
Messages
5,609
Location
In the cab with the paper
I would have thought it was in the emergency equipment cupboard with the rope and ladders? If the 315 has such a cupboard?

You have discovered the root of my confusion.

I think I accidentally stumbled across a first aid kit when prepping a Cl315 once, but I don't recall where I'd found it. All I remember was being very surprised to find such a thing in the place I was looking at the time, so clearly they aren't somewhere obvious.

O L Leigh
 

CarterUSM

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2010
Messages
2,495
Location
North Britain
You have discovered the root of my confusion.

I think I accidentally stumbled across a first aid kit when prepping a Cl315 once, but I don't recall where I'd found it. All I remember was being very surprised to find such a thing in the place I was looking at the time, so clearly they aren't somewhere obvious.

O L Leigh

Well, i do hope i don't find myself in need of a sticking plaster, if i ever have the pleasure of travelling on one of said units with yourself at the helm .:D
 

Traveller

Member
Joined
22 Sep 2010
Messages
17
Yes, they do have a duty (can't remember the number of first aiders per xx staff) but they were wrong to say what they did. They should have said that it was up to the member of staff that had the training.

That just puts the blame on the staff. They should have just said they're under no obligation to provide first aid.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,955
Location
UK
That's the same thing though. Nobody can be forced to give first aid.

In any case, the staff will be blamed by the public and media regardless.
 

Traveller

Member
Joined
22 Sep 2010
Messages
17
I meant the company shoiuld state that the company has no obligation, rather than putting the blame on the staff.
 

The_Stig

Member
Joined
20 Jan 2009
Messages
364
Voyagers, Meridians (presumably) and Mk4s all have this in some form.

Most newish rolling stock will have this.

334's have it, it allows the driver to talk to whomever pulled the Pass Comm to determine the best course of action.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top