ChiefPlanner
Established Member
Bad enough doing a hill start on that road with a decent car - I dread to think how a tram would cope.That hill would be no problem for trams (the Sheffield system has sections just as steep), but the narrow streets would be a problem -- as would getting trams into Watford town centre.
I am very familiar with St Albans , (30+years here) I have run services as a manager on the Abbey line and have equally good credentials for Thameslink. A complete and utter non starter. As is a suggestion for using the Alban Way - the ex GN route to London Road.
Plus the Sheffield tram-train costs came out as about £75m - hardly a crashing success - and one that only just survived being built at that cost.
In good times - the Abbey line just about washed it's face at about a 1000 passengers a day. (or less) It will take a long time to get even that level of business back.
