• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should kids talk to teachers like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Joined
13 Dec 2013
Messages
9,562
Location
UK
'should' not 'must'. There is a difference.

That inflexibility has caused conflict in your class. You have a responsibility for that whether you like it or not.

not my problem.

This is a girl in your classroom, you are responsible and it is your problem. Treat children with respect and they will respect you back.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,366
Location
Yorkshire
I get Lauren's point about discipline, and not wishing to disrupt or be seen as a soft touch by letting the kids go to the loo whenever... but as others have said, the kids won't be concentrating on their work if they need the loo, so if the only reason to not allow the child to go is to let them know who is in charge, then it's a Phyrric victory really. In almost every other aspect of life if you need the loo you can either go straight away or at least are in control enough to take steps allowing you to go.

For most kids in your classroom you won't be the one they fear, it's the judgement of their peers that frightens them. Hence the fake bravado of saying "I'm on the rag" rather than a more delicate "but miss, it's the, ahem, time of the month".
 

GB

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
6,562
Location
Somewhere
...has anyone mentioned the possibility of bullying during brakes in this thread? I remember both in primary and secondary school the toilets were the place the not so nice bigger kids hung out and wasn’t a very nice place to be in.
 

radamfi

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2009
Messages
9,267
...has anyone mentioned the possibility of bullying during brakes in this thread? I remember both in primary and secondary school the toilets were the place the not so nice bigger kids hung out and wasn’t a very nice place to be in.

Bullying will happen somewhere, even if it isn't in the toilet. We all remember what school was like. School isn't a nice place for either teachers or pupils.
 

Bayum

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2008
Messages
3,298
Location
Leeds
Yet, you are human. There will inevitably be the day when you just have to go, despite your best intentions. I hope your headmaster doesn't stand at the classroom door and tell you to hold it.
You'd be even more surprised...
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,586
Location
LBK
I can hardly recall anyone ever going to the toilet during lessons when I was at school. I don’t even think we’d have asked.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,730
Location
Scotland
I can hardly recall anyone ever going to the toilet during lessons when I was at school. I don’t even think we’d have asked.
We would ask if we needed to go. But it wasn't the 'done thing' generally speaking.
 

Pinza-C55

Member
Joined
23 May 2015
Messages
1,035
I don't think non teachers realise how many children fail to go when they get the opputunity.

I remember last year before an afternoon long assembly I let all the children go before heading to the hall. 2 minutes later a girl asked to go claiming to be busting. I told her that was too bad and she should have gone and to wait until hometime. She managed to wait and didn't wet herself.

I'm not a teacher but I was a kid once a long time ago and I can remember roughly what it was like. I think standards of behaviour by kids have probably dropped since then and I wouldn't want to be a teacher. Maybe you are in the wrong job ?
 

Antman

Established Member
Joined
3 May 2013
Messages
6,840
Bullying will happen somewhere, even if it isn't in the toilet. We all remember what school was like. School isn't a nice place for either teachers or pupils.

There was very little bullying at my school although back then bullies were given a dose of their own medicine, six of the best from the headmaster.
 

Miss lauren92

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2017
Messages
34
What if they wet themselves ? Why not simply treat them like adults and let them go when they need to. Being 'disruptive' is only because the Teachers make such an issue of it.

Hand up, miss can I go to the loo please ?
Yes Peter


He gets up and goes to the loo. There is minimal disruption. Yes they should go during break but they are still human. What if they don't need to go during lunch ? I find myself needing a pee at the most inopportune moment and I'm ... Also, if you were sitting there and needed a pee it becomes a primary motivator. You will think of going to the loo at the exclusion of all else. That is not conducive to learning and potentially more disruptive.

School is not a prison.

Or what happens more often is

Hand up, miss can I go to the toilet.
Yes Peter

Hand up, miss can I go to the toilet.
Yes Nichola, and so on....

Easier just to refuse as I said they can hold it.

Did you read post 93 that is proof they can wait.

If you can get someone to cover the class, then you can go. You have stated that you don't allow your students to go: 'there is no reason they cannot wait'.

What is the difference between me not being able to go because there is no supervision for the children or telling a child to wait until breaktime? same outcome
 
Last edited by a moderator:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
This is a very odd thread.
Did you read post 93 that is proof they can wait.

That is hardly scientific proof. I assume you This whole stance is a short cut to terrible pr and headlines in the local press. However, we have ruled out that the OP is not an English teacher or a science teacher.
What if they wet themselves ? Why not simply treat them like adults and let them go when they need to. Being 'disruptive' is only because the Teachers make such an issue of it.

Hand up, miss can I go to the loo please ?
Yes Peter


He gets up and goes to the loo. There is minimal disruption. Yes they should go during break but they are still human. What if they don't need to go during lunch ? I find myself needing a pee at the most inopportune moment and I'm ... Also, if you were sitting there and needed a pee it becomes a primary motivator. You will think of going to the loo at the exclusion of all else. That is not conducive to learning and potentially more disruptive.

School is not a prison.

Is, of course, the right answer.

That said I am sure we all used any excuse ( including going to the toilet and trying to spend all period there) to try and duck out of lessons we didn't like or to get away from boring or dull teachers. I know I did. I am sure that this must have a vast negative impact on your educational performance and I was just lucky that I left school with 11 gsce's, 4 A levels, an A/S level and went on to get a degree and professional qualification. Just plain luck.
 

Antman

Established Member
Joined
3 May 2013
Messages
6,840
Or what happens more often is

Hand up, miss can I go to the toilet.
Yes Peter

Hand up, miss can I go to the toilet.
Yes Nichola, and so on....

Easier just to refuse as I said they can hold it.

Did you read post 93 that is proof they can wait.

Exactly, let one go and suddenly they all want to go probably just to have a mess about and the lesson is seriously disrupted.
 

Antman

Established Member
Joined
3 May 2013
Messages
6,840
This is a very odd thread.


That is hardly scientific proof. I assume you This whole stance is a short cut to terrible pr and headlines in the local press. However, we have ruled out that the OP is not an English teacher or a science teacher.


Is, of course, the right answer.

That said I am sure we all used any excuse ( including going to the toilet and trying to spend all period there) to try and duck out of lessons we didn't like or to get away from boring or dull teachers. I know I did. I am sure that this must have a vast negative impact on your educational performance and I was just lucky that I left school with 11 gsce's, 4 A levels, an A/S level and went on to get a degree and professional qualification. Just plain luck.

No it is of course the wrong answer and you've explained yourself why.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
No it is of course the wrong answer and you've explained yourself why.
I would rather that than front page news in the Crapsville echo about "evil teacher forced my 9 year old daughter to wet herself" coupled with a social media storm. That isnt going to play well or look good on your record and the head wont back you when the reputation of the school is being destroyed.

Discipline is very important, obviously, but that doesn't stem from pettiness but from respect.

Thinking of our "hardest" teachers the worst of the lot would let you go to the toilet whenever but woe betide anyone caught messing about or swinging the lead. Respect for him came not because he didn't let people go to the toilet but because he knew all the tricks and could & would make life very difficult for you. The younger teachers thought that they were being "hard" because they stopped you going to the toilet and were following the discipline manual closely. They missed that such a view lost them respect and made their lives more difficult.
 

Antman

Established Member
Joined
3 May 2013
Messages
6,840
I would rather that than front page news in the Crapsville echo about "evil teacher forced my 9 year old daughter to wet herself" coupled with a social media storm. That isnt going to play well or look good on your record and the head wont back you when the reputation of the school is being destroyed.

Discipline is very important, obviously, but that doesn't stem from pettiness but from respect.

Thinking of our "hardest" teachers the worst of the lot would let you go to the toilet whenever but woe betide anyone caught messing about or swinging the lead. Respect for him came not because he didn't let people go to the toilet but because he knew all the tricks and could & would make life very difficult for you. The younger teachers thought that they were being "hard" because they stopped you going to the toilet and were following the discipline manual closely. They missed that such a view lost them respect and made their lives more difficult.

Maybe 9 is a bit young but certainly when I started secondary school it was made clear that break times were for visiting the toilet and we wouldn't be able to go during lessons although I'm sure an exception would have been made in an emergency but I don't recall there ever being a problem.
 

Miss lauren92

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2017
Messages
34
I *really* hope you don't teach science if that is what passes as proof to you.

The girl I mentioned in post 93 did wait all afternoon though despite pleading she was bursting. A child who is bursting cannot wait 2 hours, she did. Too be honest I'm not bothered if she hadn't had been able to wait she had been given ample time.

Exactly, let one go and suddenly they all want to go probably just to have a mess about and the lesson is seriously disrupted.

Precisely it always amazes me how many children claim to be desperate during lessons but I never get any ask during golden time or P.E.

I would rather that than front page news in the Crapsville echo about "evil teacher forced my 9 year old daughter to wet herself" coupled with a social media storm. That isnt going to play well or look good on your record and the head wont back you when the reputation of the school is being destroyed.

Discipline is very important, obviously, but that doesn't stem from pettiness but from respect.

Thinking of our "hardest" teachers the worst of the lot would let you go to the toilet whenever but woe betide anyone caught messing about or swinging the lead. Respect for him came not because he didn't let people go to the toilet but because he knew all the tricks and could & would make life very difficult for you. The younger teachers thought that they were being "hard" because they stopped you going to the toilet and were following the discipline manual closely. They missed that such a view lost them respect and made their lives more difficult.

Who said anything about 9 year olds?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Miss lauren92

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2017
Messages
34
age used as an example.

Ok, I don't see why a 9 year old wouldn't be able to wait either. I would have the same rules no matter what year I taught except year 1. Once they get to year 2 or above they should be capable of holding their wee.

How many people have told their child to wait on a car journey? What is the difference between that and what I do?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,366
Location
Yorkshire
...has anyone mentioned the possibility of bullying during brakes in this thread? I remember both in primary and secondary school the toilets were the place the not so nice bigger kids hung out and wasn’t a very nice place to be in.
Quite. Now there's no way for us to know whether the pupil in question is a bully, or one who is bullied, or one of the lucky ones who is oblivious to whether bullying exists. But when I was at school teachers seemed wilfully ignorant to how cruel kids can be, even at age 9/10/11.

There was very little bullying at my school although back then bullies were given a dose of their own medicine, six of the best from the headmaster.
I find that extremely hard to believe. If you didn't experience it or even see it, then lucky you!

Exactly, let one go and suddenly they all want to go probably just to have a mess about and the lesson is seriously disrupted.
The obvious solution to that is for each teacher to have a token which is handed to a pupil to take with them to a toilet, and only one pupil from each class is permitted to go at any one time. Not foolproof but it's something that my school used to prevent large groups bunking out of lessons.
 

Miss lauren92

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2017
Messages
34
And with that, I'm out.

Just to point out the girl had been in the toilet 2 mins prior so chances are she didn't even need a wee or why would she have not gone?

When in a lesson I as the teacher have more important things to worry about than whether a child is desperate for a wee.

One other thing is I can face a backlash from slt for letting the kids go to to the toilet.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Antman

Established Member
Joined
3 May 2013
Messages
6,840
Quite. Now there's no way for us to know whether the pupil in question is a bully, or one who is bullied, or one of the lucky ones who is oblivious to whether bullying exists. But when I was at school teachers seemed wilfully ignorant to how cruel kids can be, even at age 9/10/11.


I find that extremely hard to believe. If you didn't experience it or even see it, then lucky you!


The obvious solution to that is for each teacher to have a token which is handed to a pupil to take with them to a toilet, and only one pupil from each class is permitted to go at any one time. Not foolproof but it's something that my school used to prevent large groups bunking out of lessons.

I don't why you find it hard to believe, the punishment for bullying was made very clear.
 

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2010
Messages
5,608
I don't why you find it hard to believe.

Probably because "bullying doesn't happen at this school" is a line said by teachers and headteachers time and time again to the victims of bullying at that same school. The exact phrase is usually used as a cop out to avoid dealing with the issues. So when someone else uses the same phrase, those of us who were victims of bullying find it very hard to believe.
 
Last edited:

Monty

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2012
Messages
2,373
Probably the most bizarre thread I've ever seen on this forum and that's saying something. My personal experiences at school were that if you needed to go all you had to do was put your hand up and ask. Towards the end of secondary school some of the teachers treated you like adults saying if you needed to go just leave the room quietly and there was no need to ask.

But since this is a railway forum I will pose this question to you all, if teachers are of the opinion it's acceptable to force young children to wait to use the toilets maybe it's time to remove toilets from most trains since as adults we should also be expected to wait? ;)
 

Antman

Established Member
Joined
3 May 2013
Messages
6,840
Probably the most bizarre thread I've ever seen on this forum and that's saying something. My personal experiences at school were that if you needed to go all you had to do was put your hand up and ask. Towards the end of secondary school some of the teachers treated you like adults saying if you needed to go just leave the room quietly and there was no need to ask.

But since this is a railway forum I will pose this question to you all, if teachers are of the opinion it's acceptable to force young children to wait to use the toilets maybe it's time to remove toilets from most trains since as adults we should also be expected to wait? ;)

Most people can go at least an hour or two without needing the loo unless they have a medical condition.
 

Antman

Established Member
Joined
3 May 2013
Messages
6,840
Probably because "bullying doesn't happen at this school" is a line said by teachers and headteachers time and time again to the victims of bullying at that same school. The exact phrase is usually used as a cop out to avoid dealing with the issues. So when someone else uses the same phrase, those of us who were victims of bullying find it very hard to believe.

These weren't claims made by the school it's my experience and my former classmates, many of whom I'm in touch with through social media, agree.

I'm not saying there was no bullying at all but when it was bought to the headmasters attention it was swiftly dealt with and the bully found out that they weren't quite as tough as they thought.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top