• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should i work for Stagecoach or Go Ahead in London?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sherz

Member
Joined
24 Jan 2024
Messages
6
Location
London
I need help and advice. I'm from London and I recently got an offer from Stagecoach & an offer from Go Ahead. The more I read the 1 star reviews about both companies the more I have second thoughts about ɓeing a bus driver.

Do I have to pay back Go Ahead £3,000 if I leave within 2 years like you have to pay Stagecoach? .

Those who work in London for Stagecoach or Go Ahead, can you help me and tell me which company is better to work for and has better pay and hours? I'm looking for better pay & less work.

Should I accept the Stagecoach or Go Ahead offer. I've only passed my driving test a few months ago.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eyersey468

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2018
Messages
2,605
Do you mean you've just passed your car test or bus test? If you go to work for either company already with a bus licence you won't need to pay anything back if you leave within 2 years its only if they train you.
 

sherz

Member
Joined
24 Jan 2024
Messages
6
Location
London
Do you mean you've just passed your car test or bus test? If you go to work for either company already with a bus licence you won't need to pay anything back if you leave within 2 years its only if they train you.
I passed my car test I haven't got a bus license
 

Eyersey468

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2018
Messages
2,605
I passed my car test I haven't got a bus license
Congratulations on passing your car test. I'm Yorkshire based so can't say which is the better company to work for in London, the other thing I will add though is the amount to pay back decreases over time, so if you left after (say) a year it would only be half to pay back
 

Mwanesh

Member
Joined
14 May 2016
Messages
948
You have just passed your test and they have given you a chance. Just go for it. 2 years goes quickly.
 

Roger1973

Member
Joined
5 Jul 2020
Messages
859
Location
Berkshire
I believe that Go-Ahead, along with almost all bus companies, has a clause about paying back training costs if you leave within x amount of time - but I can't say how much, or what timescale, or if there's a sliding scale. They ought to tell you this as part of the job offer / before you sign a contract. The job offer ought also tell you what pay rate and hours a week they are offering. (Having said that, if you've got a job offer, and things aren't clear, it's not unreasonable to ask questions before you accept. It's not a case of negotiating / haggling, though, as it's a collective agreement.)

At most places, there's an hourly rate for trainees, then a rate for new drivers, then a scale that goes up a bit each year for a few years.

In terms of hours / pay, it's hard to say. Today's Go-Ahead London has been formed from several different former operations, including Metrobus (Orpington and Croydon), Docklands Buses (Silvertown), Blue Triangle (what's now River Road, Barking), First London (Northumberland Park), London General (South / South West London) and London Central (Camberwell, New Cross, Peckham) and Bexleybus (Bexleyheath.)

Historically, as separate employers, they all had their own pay rates, terms and conditions. I understand that some of the historic terms and conditions now only apply to staff who were there before they merged, but I believe there's still some variations.

Stagecoach is less complicated in this respect, although Lea Interchange, Walthamstow Avenue and Ash Grove were acquired from other companies so may be different to their other east London garages.

And some operators have ended up with separately negotiated pay / conditions deals at different garages.

Without knowing (for example) whether you're comparing GA Orpington with Stagecoach Bromley, or GA River Road with Stagecoach Barking, or what, it's hard to say. And I appreciate you may not want to go in to detail in public.

Another complication is whether there's a flat hourly rate, or whether there are enhanced rates for unsocial hours (very early mornings, late evenings, weekends) or for duties where the spreadover (total time from sign on to sign off) and / or time on duty (time actually worked) go over a certain threshold in a day. And whether breaks are paid, unpaid, or somewhere between the two (e.g. first 40 minutes of break is unpaid, any more is paid.) This makes it hard to translate the headline hourly rate in to what you can expect in an average week.

In practical terms, it's also worth thinking about how easy / time consuming it would be to get from your current home to the garage where the job is offered - bearing in mind you'll be doing this to get to early starts, get home after late finishes, and there will probably be some 'spreadover' duties where you have a few hours off (usually unpaid) in the middle of the day. And staff car parking is limited or not available at some garage locations.

Some operators have introduced remote sign on / sign off points, so you may start and finish a duty at different places, depending on whether you need to bring a bus from garage or back to garage - this can suit some people, but if you can and need to park your car at the garage, then it means the travel time between garage and the remote point ends up unpaid at one end of your duty.

Best of luck, whichever of these (or other) options you go for.
 

busesrusuk

Member
Joined
19 May 2020
Messages
418
Location
London
If you have any questions about the job offer, whether its regarding training bonds, average earnings, apprenticeship programmes etc. then ring them up or pop into the recruitment centre and have a further conversation with the interviewer and ask them to go over the terms again. Most of of it should be covered in the offer letter anyway but again, any doubts or you want clarification speak directly with the company - do not rely on advice on a forum where most will not be in a position to answer with any authority.

I speak as the person who was responsible for the recruitment & training in one of the two companies you have applied to work for (but have been retired for four years so no longer in a position to give proper info on current terms and conditions).

Ask the questions, get the info, make an informed decision and with any luck it will be the start of a rewarding career whichever company you decide to work for..
 

greenline712

Member
Joined
2 Oct 2023
Messages
380
Location
Inside the M25
TBH most London operators are there or thereabouts with regard to pay and scheduling agreements ... if they weren't, then they would haemorrhage drivers to each other!!

Pay rates will differ ... some pay a higher basic rate but with no unsocial hours; some pay a lower basic rate but with early, late and weekend top-ups. On average, there isn't a huge difference (unless you do permanent lates or every weekend), but those rotas are usually for the senior drivers anyway).

Abellio (as was) are the least good; longer hours and lower hourly rate.

I'd go with the closest garage to your home .... no long journeys to/from work at 0400 or 0100 !!
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
I've got no answer to your question, but I subscribe to the YouTube channel of That London Bus Guy, who is a driver based at Stagecoach's Catford bus garage. They still operate the two bus routes I used to use to get to school in London in the 1960s(!!), hence my particular interest, but overall give quite a good idea of the working environment there. For all I know, a Go-Ahead driver may do something similar, and those two are certainly the dominant operators in S.E. London.
 

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,828
Location
Back office
Some people get themselves sacked on purpose to avoid paying the bond! Often the actions that lead to this mean it would have been cheaper just to let the person leave without enforcing the bond, but not everyone will play that way of course.
 

Bishopstone

Established Member
Joined
24 Jun 2010
Messages
1,690
Location
Seaford
Do Stagecoach still pay a lower rate at their Rainham (RM) garage than their other sites? When this unit was set-up I understood it was designed to operate at lower cost, to stem the loss of TfL contracts to Blue Triangle (Go Ahead) and Arriva (operating out of Grays, Essex) in the Havering area. But this was many years ago.
 

busesrusuk

Member
Joined
19 May 2020
Messages
418
Location
London
Some people get themselves sacked on purpose to avoid paying the bond! Often the actions that lead to this mean it would have been cheaper just to let the person leave without enforcing the bond, but not everyone will play that way of course.
Then those people would be very disappointed to learn that getting sacked doesn't get them out of repaying the bond. The documents were carefully written and the wording went something along the lines of:

"if you leave for ANY reason, including dismissal, you will be liable to repay the training bond".

Memory is a bit hazy now but it was many years ago when I last revised the document but as the author of such things in the company I worked for, I can assure you that dismissal was most definitely included (and I'm pretty sure it is the same in all the TfL companies that have a training bond).

This is why I strongly recommend to the OP that he talks directly to the company to get the facts on what he is signing up to.

As an FYI, if you do get yourself sacked for whatever reason, and intend to move to another London bus company, you will not be eligible to apply for your Licence for London which means that you will start at the bottom pay rate should another TfL operator decide to employ you. Any accrued service you have/had will not count to get the appropriate rate of pay that your accrued service would entitle you to at the next company.

Suggesting that you get yourself sacked for whatever reason is probably the worst advice anyone in any industry could give you...
 

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,828
Location
Back office
Then those people would be very disappointed to learn that getting sacked doesn't get them out of repaying the bond. The documents were carefully written and the wording went something along the lines of:

"if you leave for ANY reason, including dismissal, you will be liable to repay the training bond".

Memory is a bit hazy now but it was many years ago when I last revised the document but as the author of such things in the company I worked for, I can assure you that dismissal was most definitely included (and I'm pretty sure it is the same in all the TfL companies that have a training bond).

This is why I strongly recommend to the OP that he talks directly to the company to get the facts on what he is signing up to.

As an FYI, if you do get yourself sacked for whatever reason, and intend to move to another London bus company, you will not be eligible to apply for your Licence for London which means that you will start at the bottom pay rate should another TfL operator decide to employ you. Any accrued service you have/had will not count to get the appropriate rate of pay that your accrued service would entitle you to at the next company.

Suggesting that you get yourself sacked for whatever reason is probably the worst advice anyone in any industry could give you...

Nobody is suggesting anybody should do that. But people do do that and don’t end up paying the bond, despite what the terms say.
 

Edsmith

Member
Joined
21 Dec 2021
Messages
669
Location
Staplehurst
Different people will have different opinions, ask a Go Ahead driver and they'll probably point you towards Stagecoach and vice versa. I would imagine all operators have a similar condition that you have to reimburse them for some of your training costs if you leave within a certain period of time. You didn't mention what area of London? You mentioned that you read the reviews and the 'one star' probably tell you why there is such a shortage of drivers, then again you might love the job?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top