I recall that Russia is the only country currently running broad track gauge high speed rail (250kph) based off widened Velaro bodied stock. The seating layout if I recall when I traveled on it last year was still the standard 2+2, and 2+1 in Business class. Certainly roomy, but not particularly different.
Of course they've gone down that route due to the existing track infrastructure in Russia, which is broad gauge, but the costs of acquiring custom gauge stock will always be higher than standard gauge stock which can be bought off the shelf.
The Russian gauge is only 85mm greater, at 1520mm, than standard at 1435mm. Not that significant at approx. 106% of standard
Larger frontal CSA (cross sectional area) is significant for air resistance at very high speed. For wide body jet aircraft, that is a fairly minor concern in the thin air at 40 thousand feet. For a similar size vehicle at ground level, I think the thick air would cost a lot of drag at HS rail speeds. Probably better to go for the longest trains with traditionally profiled trains, i.e no bigger than typical European double decker HS stock. Note Japan with slightly larger possible loading gauge on the Shinkansen has moved away from DD stock in recent years as they speed up their network. The DDs were slower than some of the latest single deckers. I wonder whether part of that limitation was the the effect of the large CSA on aerodynamic drag with the power available.