RailWonderer
Established Member
As a spinoff thread from this one,
www.railforums.co.uk
I had the idea that some guard operated trains should sell tickets on board in exchange for a permit to travel and cash/card payment instead of having a machine at a station in order to cut costs of installing them. I'm thinking of desolate or little used stations where the trains that serve are often not DOO and have guards on board to serve customers. If the guard has not the time to sell one or refuses for union reasons, a permit to travel ticket and cash could be exchanged for a ticket on a machine installed on a train.
I think this has come up before but was not sure what the consensus on the idea was.
Ideas? This is common in Europe but not the done thing in the UK - with reason?
Should Every Station (& every Platform) Have a Ticket Machine?
Some stations are located in very isolated places so those machines could be liable to be opened up by thieves.
I think this has come up before but was not sure what the consensus on the idea was.
Ideas? This is common in Europe but not the done thing in the UK - with reason?