• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shortest/Cheapest IEP Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eliottjames

Member
Joined
10 Feb 2015
Messages
41
I’m in London for a couple of days and would like to try out an IEP while I’m here. What’s the cheapest and/or quickest means of doing this?
I know there’s no guarantee which services will be run with an IEP but can keep an eye out if I know what route to look for! Thanks :D
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheAdelante

Member
Joined
14 Nov 2017
Messages
269
I’m in London for a couple of days and would like to try out an IEP while I’m here. What’s the cheapest and/or quickest means of doing this?
I know there’s no guarantee which services will be run with an IEP but can keep an eye out if I know what route to look for! Thanks :D
Erm. If you are an adult a £6 Cherwell Day Ranger is good for my brother and I (unlimited Reading - Didcot/Oxford/Banbury) trips.) £3 for under 16s :)

Edit I know they don’t go to Oxford or Banbury but they do run Reading to Didcot!
 
Last edited:

Eliottjames

Member
Joined
10 Feb 2015
Messages
41
Happy with standard class, from what I’ve heard, first class isn’t that much of an upgrade on a GWR IEP!
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,851
Location
Epsom
If you're on a Travelcard then a Boundary Zone 6 off peak return to Reading with a railcard is £7.80 ( so probably £11.70 without a railcard ) and you can easily get an IET both ways.
 

Eliottjames

Member
Joined
10 Feb 2015
Messages
41
Ooh, that sounds promising! I’ve just been using contactless on the tube, can I just ge a travel card from a ticket machine?
If you're on a Travelcard then a Boundary Zone 6 off peak return to Reading with a railcard is £7.80 ( so probably £11.70 without a railcard ) and you can easily get an IET both ways.
 

SwindonBert

Member
Joined
19 Feb 2017
Messages
187
Location
Swindon
I’m in London for a couple of days and would like to try out an IEP while I’m here. What’s the cheapest and/or quickest means of doing this?
I know there’s no guarantee which services will be run with an IEP but can keep an eye out if I know what route to look for! Thanks :D

Just to clarify, would you need to start & end at Paddington?
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,851
Location
Epsom
Ooh, that sounds promising! I’ve just been using contactless on the tube, can I just ge a travel card from a ticket machine?

I don't know because I always buy from a ticket office, but I would imagine they should sell them as long as they are a National Rail machine and not a TfL one - try the ticket office at Paddington; you'll have to go there anyway for the BZ - Reading ticket as you can't get those from machines.

Ideally yes, but I wouldn’t mind coming back on a different route/to a different station if needs be. Happy only using an IEP one way!

To answer the other point raised above, yes - a BZ - Reading return against a Travelcard would be valid for return on the Reading - Waterloo line, which would mean you could nip off at Clapham Junction and get a 707 as well ( same platform island at Clapham Junction and probably only a few minutes to wait... ).

By the way, it's IET for the trains; IET is the overall project.
 

BestWestern

Established Member
Joined
6 Feb 2011
Messages
6,736
If you like new stuff, IET Pad - Rdg and 700 Rdg - Waterloo might work. That's assuming the 700s at Reading are in service now, not just on test?

Alternatively, you could return from Reading on a 387 and bag two types of brand new GWR traction!
 

Eliottjames

Member
Joined
10 Feb 2015
Messages
41
I don't know because I always buy from a ticket office, but I would imagine they should sell them as long as they are a National Rail machine and not a TfL one - try the ticket office at Paddington; you'll have to go there anyway for the BZ - Reading ticket as you can't get those from machines.



To answer the other point raised above, yes - a BZ - Reading return against a Travelcard would be valid for return on the Reading - Waterloo line, which would mean you could nip off at Clapham Junction and get a 707 as well ( same platform island at Clapham Junction and probably only a few minutes to wait... ).

By the way, it's IET for the trains; IET is the overall project.

Lovely thanks, I’ll go to a ticket office at Paddington and ask.
Looks like I need to get my acronyms sorted out haha!

If you like new stuff, IET Pad - Rdg and 700 Rdg - Waterloo might work. That's assuming the 700s at Reading are in service now, not just on test?

Alternatively, you could return from Reading on a 387 and bag two types of brand new GWR traction!

Now that sounds like a plan to me! Thanks all for the info :lol:
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,851
Location
Epsom
If you like new stuff, IET Pad - Rdg and 700 Rdg - Waterloo might work. That's assuming the 700s at Reading are in service now, not just on test?

Alternatively, you could return from Reading on a 387 and bag two types of brand new GWR traction!

707s, not 700s...

Probably need to change at Clapham Junction, as i said, but there would only be a few minutes before one turned up...
 

GW43125

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2014
Messages
2,313
If you like new stuff, IET Pad - Rdg and 700 Rdg - Waterloo might work. That's assuming the 700s at Reading are in service now, not just on test?

Alternatively, you could return from Reading on a 387 and bag two types of brand new GWR traction!

707s don't currently do service trips to Reading- 458s do these instead. Sending them to Reading is just "running them in". You could change at Staines for a 707 from Windsor, however.
 

TheAdelante

Member
Joined
14 Nov 2017
Messages
269
707s don't currently do service trips to Reading- 458s do these instead. Sending them to Reading is just "running them in". You could change at Staines for a 707 from Windsor, however.
Hi,
They do one per day actually!
:)
 

GW43125

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2014
Messages
2,313
Hi,
They do one per day actually!
:)

They did
I came home on that turn last week and it was a 458.
With the current timetable requiring more 707s than they have, it's hit-and-miss as to whether the 19:35 is 458 or 707. I wouldn't bank on it being either.
 

TheAdelante

Member
Joined
14 Nov 2017
Messages
269
They did
I came home on that turn last week and it was a 458.
With the current timetable requiring more 707s than they have, it's hit-and-miss as to whether the 19:35 is 458 or 707. I wouldn't bank on it being either.
Hi - that still makes you wrong whether it happens all the time or not ;)

R :)
 

GW43125

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2014
Messages
2,313
Hi - that still makes you wrong whether it happens all the time or not ;)

R :)

Oi :P

My point still stands though, if you want a 707 your best bet is to get a 458 to Staines and wait for an ex Windsor.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,838
Location
West of Andover
Thames Branches Day Ranger gets you many trips between Reading & Paddington, to sample a 800 to compare it with a HST etc.
 

TheAdelante

Member
Joined
14 Nov 2017
Messages
269
Oh. I was definitely alive then haha! I thought they were a 2001 introduced train...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top