Because the only free method I know of of measuring station distances is signal.eu.org/osm, which gives distances in kilometres.Why are the measurements in kilometres? That's not generally how railway distances are measured in the UK.
Because the only free method I know of of measuring station distances is signal.eu.org/osm, which gives distances in kilometres.Why are the measurements in kilometres? That's not generally how railway distances are measured in the UK.
Because the only free method I know of of measuring station distances is signal.eu.org/osm, which gives distances in kilometres.
It is my own preference for personal use; if I were somewhat seriously* planning a railway construction proposal I'd definitely use miles.Nobody uses kilometres
Ironically, if you were seriously planning a railway construction in the UK, you'd do it in KM and then convert the operational distances to miles afterwards.It is my own preference for personal use; if I were somewhat seriously* planning a railway construction proposal I'd definitely use miles.
*somewhat seriously being that even if I could think of a halfway plausible scheme I have nowhere near the knowledge needed to properly plan one.
I don't believe this has been possible on (blue) Eurostars for many years.Lille-Europe – Bruxelles-Midi / Brussel-Zuid (107)
Lille-Brussels certainly is, unless there's a simultaneous Lille-Brussels and London-Brussels arrival into Brussels Midi next tuesday...I don't believe this has been possible on (blue) Eurostars for many years.
Yes - I had assumed we were talking about platform middle to middle, which is how I have always assumed inter-station distances are measured in the UK (I could have been wrong all these years of course).Comes down to definition, the entrances are long way away apart, because they are at furthest ends, but platform ends much closer. Similarly Kingston and Hampton Wick
The sectional appendix distances are generally buffer stops for terminals and Centre of platforms for through stations - however plenty of stations have been hacked around over the years but the position stays in the same place so it no longer lines up.Yes - I had assumed we were talking about platform middle to middle, which is how I have always assumed inter-station distances are measured in the UK (I could have been wrong all these years of course).
That daily Holyhead to Llanelli is a booked working, via the Swansea District line. It's not an unusual service.Holyhead to Swansea is 245.25 miles (I think!) which is 394.7 kilometres; it's currently going slightly further to Llanelli though, because of engineering. I think the distance for Manchester to Carmarthen quoted at 397 km may be too high - but Manchester to Pembroke Dock is, I think, longer than Holyhead to Llanelli / Swansea.
I agree, and most people use and understand miles to measure distances, rather than kilometres.Why are the measurements in kilometres? That's not generally how railway distances are measured in the UK.
Ironically, if you were seriously planning a railway construction in the UK, you'd do it in KM and then convert the operational distances to miles afterwards.
Miles and chains is the easier distance to quote as the authoritative sources use that format, such as the Sectional Appendix, and given rail stations can cover some 300m or more at times and some of your distances are not much more than twice that, being able to use a single point of authoritative location as a comparison may be helpful.
I'll add distances in miles to the table tomorrow; please can any further discussion of the respective merits of miles, kilometres and any other units of measurement be done in a separate thread?I agree, and most people use and understand miles to measure distances, rather than kilometres.
I've been measuring middle to middle using signal.eu.org/osm except for cases where it was tight enough that the exact location of the middle of the platform could have changed the result (to a different pair, not just changing the distance), and used end to end for those.Yes - I had assumed we were talking about platform middle to middle, which is how I have always assumed inter-station distances are measured in the UK (I could have been wrong all these years of course).
It looks right to me. That's ~250 miles and drawing straight lines between Carmarthen, Swansea, Cardiff, Hereford, Shrewsbury, Crewe and Manchester comes to ~200 miles.I think the distance for Manchester to Carmarthen quoted at 397 km may be too high
Manchester – Pembroke Dock's 517 km / ~321 miles.Holyhead to Swansea is 245.25 miles (I think!) which is 394.7 kilometres; it's currently going slightly further to Llanelli though, because of engineering. I think the distance for Manchester to Carmarthen quoted at 397 km may be too high - but Manchester to Pembroke Dock is, I think, longer than Holyhead to Llanelli / Swansea.
Railmiles agrees with you.Shortest Thameslink is City Thameslink - Blackfriars, not Farringdon - City Thameslink.
Devonport – Dockyard is 37 chains; Drayton Green – West Ealing is 41, to Castle Bar Park is also 37 so the latter could be in there.GWR - Drayton Green to West Ealing or Castlebar Park to Drayton Green could be in there
For Chiltern would Sudbury Hill - Sudbury & Harrow Rd or Northolt-Sudbury be in there in terms of shortest journey
Where are distances on the Glasgow Subway measured from? It doesn't change the length at all, but it seems a good place to start counting from.At the risk of splitting hairs, the 'any circular journey' for the longest on Glasgow Subway technically ought to be 'any clockwise circular journey', or, to take things further (literally), the thread rules don't explicitly rule out staying on the train for multiple laps....
From Buchanan Street station, I believe. And, yes, the 'Outer Circle' does seem to be marginally longer than the 'Inner Circle', by perhaps some 18 metres.Where are distances on the Glasgow Subway measured from? It doesn't change the length at all, but it seems a good place to start counting from.