Hello everyone,
I’m hoping someone can provide some advice here as I’m at a loss. This week my wife told me that she was stopped by undercover inspectors at Marylebone station last week for having a short fare ticket (Marylebone to Wembley and Beaconsfield to Princes Risborough). She was interviewed, her details taken and told she would expect a letter in a few weeks about prosecution.
However, she then broke down in tears and revealed that she had actually been short faring and avoiding paying for other journeys for the last 6 months. I was shocked as this is completely out of character for her. I’ve no idea why she has done this as we are not struggling financially (and she says she doesn’t know why herself), and whilst I am extremely angry and disappointed in her actions, I am worried about the repercussions from this as they will be auditing her travel history from her Chilterns app. And whilst she is currently an absolute wreck, she is still obviously completely at fault.
We’re still waiting for the letter to arrive, but I found this forum when looking into what happens next and have been reading similar threads that say she should prepare an itemised list of journeys she has made. Having now done this, I’ve worked out that in a worst case scenario she would owe around £2,600 (I included all the journeys she has made in the app as I don’t know which were fully paid and which were short fare as she does sometimes work in places that are on the Chiltern line and I have picked her up a few times from stations when trains have been cancelled or I'm in the area).
We’re in the thankful position that we would be able to pay this should they let us settle this out of court. I've read that Chiltern do accept OOCS but I’m worried that because of the scale of this, they would refuse a settlement and take her to court, leaving her with a criminal record that could potentially damage her career.
I guess my main question is what to do right now to try and calm my wife down? Should we wait for the letter to arrive first or should we be proactive and look into contacting a solicitor in the hope that they might be able to solve this out of court for us?
I’m hoping someone can provide some advice here as I’m at a loss. This week my wife told me that she was stopped by undercover inspectors at Marylebone station last week for having a short fare ticket (Marylebone to Wembley and Beaconsfield to Princes Risborough). She was interviewed, her details taken and told she would expect a letter in a few weeks about prosecution.
However, she then broke down in tears and revealed that she had actually been short faring and avoiding paying for other journeys for the last 6 months. I was shocked as this is completely out of character for her. I’ve no idea why she has done this as we are not struggling financially (and she says she doesn’t know why herself), and whilst I am extremely angry and disappointed in her actions, I am worried about the repercussions from this as they will be auditing her travel history from her Chilterns app. And whilst she is currently an absolute wreck, she is still obviously completely at fault.
We’re still waiting for the letter to arrive, but I found this forum when looking into what happens next and have been reading similar threads that say she should prepare an itemised list of journeys she has made. Having now done this, I’ve worked out that in a worst case scenario she would owe around £2,600 (I included all the journeys she has made in the app as I don’t know which were fully paid and which were short fare as she does sometimes work in places that are on the Chiltern line and I have picked her up a few times from stations when trains have been cancelled or I'm in the area).
We’re in the thankful position that we would be able to pay this should they let us settle this out of court. I've read that Chiltern do accept OOCS but I’m worried that because of the scale of this, they would refuse a settlement and take her to court, leaving her with a criminal record that could potentially damage her career.
I guess my main question is what to do right now to try and calm my wife down? Should we wait for the letter to arrive first or should we be proactive and look into contacting a solicitor in the hope that they might be able to solve this out of court for us?
