• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Short day trip to Inverness

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave87016

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2008
Messages
1,888
Location
Lancashire
Hi all on Thursday I am travelling from Preston - Glasgow then Glasgow - Inverness on the 10:08 HST ( hope they are not swapped ) I arrive at Inverness at 1325pm

Then il be getting the 1720 HST from Inverness to Aberdeen . On both HSTS which side offers the best views of the Highlands ? Do they have fast speed between Perth and Inverness and Inverness - Aberdeen?

Can anyone recommend any pubs very close to Inverness rail station ? For a tasty meal ( not expensive ) and a few drinks ?

Many thanks in advance for any help and recommendations
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dave87016

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2008
Messages
1,888
Location
Lancashire
https://www.blackislebrewery.com/visit-us/inverness-bar might suit you - a short walk from the station, open from noon, and they have some really good beer. They also do wood fired pizzas - not my thing but apparently they're decent
Thank you kindly for your suggestion I may pay that a visit at a later date it’s not quite my thing for such a short trip but around May /june il be in the area on a highlands rover so will give it a try then
 

Rab Smith

Member
Joined
7 Jul 2021
Messages
300
Location
Cardiff
Then il be getting the 1720 HST from Inverness to Aberdeen . On both HSTS which side offers the best views of the Highlands ? Do they have fast speed between Perth and Inverness and Inverness - Aberdeen
Perth to Inverness, sit on the right side of the train for best views of the Cairngorms
For your Aberdeen leg, won't really make a difference because it will be dark!
Not particularly fast trains.
 

dave87016

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2008
Messages
1,888
Location
Lancashire
Perth to Inverness, sit on the right side of the train for best views of the Cairngorms
For your Aberdeen leg, won't really make a difference because it will be dark!
Not particularly fast trains.
Thank you very much for your reply I shall take your advice
 

VT 390

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2018
Messages
1,753
Perth to Inverness, sit on the right side of the train for best views of the Cairngorms
For your Aberdeen leg, won't really make a difference because it will be dark!
Not particularly fast trains.

Thank you very much for your reply I shall take your advice

I agree with the right side in direction of travel for Perth to Inverness, although between Blair Atholl and Dalwhinnie I prefer the left.

For Inverness to Aberdeen if you are getting the 17:20 it should still be light for a short time after departure (I think daylight in Inverness is until around 17:40 next Thursday 26th February).
Because of this I would recommend sitting on the left side in direction of travel on departure from Inverness as you get some views over the Moray Firth a few minutes after departing Inverness.
 

dave87016

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2008
Messages
1,888
Location
Lancashire
I agree with the right side in direction of travel for Perth to Inverness, although between Blair Atholl and Dalwhinnie I prefer the left.

For Inverness to Aberdeen if you are getting the 17:20 it should still be light for a short time after departure (I think daylight in Inverness is until around 17:40 next Thursday 26th February).
Because of this I would recommend sitting on the left side in direction of travel on departure from Inverness as you get some views over the Moray Firth a few minutes after departing Inverness.
Thank you very much for your reply I shall follow your advice
 

Spaceship323

Member
Joined
24 Jan 2020
Messages
623
Location
Nuneaton Trent Valley
There's a good cafe at Inverness bus station (just around the corner from the station) for a coffee and cake, and an M&S opposite the railway station so good for some percy pigs!
 
Last edited:

dave87016

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2008
Messages
1,888
Location
Lancashire
There's a good cafe at Inverness bus station (just around the corner from the station) for a coffee and cake, and an M&S opposite the railway station so good for some porky pigs!
Thanks for your reply might give that cafe a go then go to the pub as long as the cafe isn’t close to closing at 1:30pm
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top