• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shops selling at prices ending in 99p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter0124

Established Member
Joined
20 Nov 2016
Messages
2,753
Location
Glasgow
.99 purchases aren't too bad with cards cause it automatically deducts it whereas with cash you get 1p change.
 

Cdd89

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2017
Messages
1,779
I recall seeing some research that x.99p is still psychologically effective on people who mentally round up. It’s impossible to get the first digit out of your head once it’s been put there.
 

ComUtoR

Established Member
Joined
13 Dec 2013
Messages
9,562
Location
UK
Way back in my Retail days. I used to work in a shop where prices were all rounded to flat .00 This was in part to to a small but beneficial increase to income (those pennies really do add up) and it also provided less cash transactions, ease of purchase by the customer, clearer pricing policies and was deemed overall better for the customer.

As @Peter0124 states. This has less of an impact with card vs cash.
 

Giugiaro

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2011
Messages
1,314
Location
Valongo - Portugal
One of the things I like about buying from the major retailers in Portugal is that they now show the prices per kg, litre, or even sheet of toilet paper.

It's the thing I look at the most when buying my groceries, even if it's displayed in small print.

Though there are things that I buy for their quality/taste, more than how cheap they are, if there's more than one size or shape of the same product, then having that sweet €/kg or €/l is just incredible!
It also makes it easier to compare prices between different shops. I learned that a 1kg box of Gresso Frischkäse at Continente was almost twice the €/kg than the 100g package of Mercadona Frischkäse.

Also, I learned with my mother to round everything from 0,99 to just 1,00. I still can't avoid having to accumulate useless pennies.
 

william.martin

On Moderation
Joined
18 Oct 2022
Messages
857
Location
Telford
.99 purchases aren't too bad with cards cause it automatically deducts it whereas with cash you get 1p change.
I don't usually trust card, somebody in HR could easily block the entire system so you can't take out money and you would have to live of your collection of 2p's and mars bars.
With cash it is easy to keep physical money that can't be taken off you if there is a computational error.
 

Dai Corner

Established Member
Joined
20 Jul 2015
Messages
6,998
I don't usually trust card, somebody in HR could easily block the entire system so you can't take out money and you would have to live of your collection of 2p's and mars bars.
With cash it is easy to keep physical money that can't be taken off you if there is a computational error.
How do you obtain your cash?
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,892
It's not the card I don't trust, it's the bank being able to block all of my hard earned money.
somebody in HR could easily block the entire system so you can't take out money
I think you need to take the tin foil hat off. Or if you're really concerned have 2 bank accounts with different banks.
Just use the bank machine.
As others have said, if the bank's systems are down unlikely you can take any cash out, either.

And if you don't trust the bank to use card, why is it any different to give them your money and just take it back as cash?
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,738
Location
Croydon
I think you need to take the tin foil hat off. Or if you're really concerned have 2 bank accounts with different banks.

As others have said, if the bank's systems are down unlikely you can take any cash out, either.

And if you don't trust the bank to use card, why is it any different to give them your money and just take it back as cash?
OT but I keep a stash of cash for a rainy day. If the card system goes wrong I wont be trying to rely on the hole in the wall. Its happened to a friend where he could not buy anything including petrol.

99p, A nuisance but I always keep on top of my change in my pocket. I try to have less than £1 in coppers and silver. Then I keep it all in a plastic cash bag in my pocket to reduce the wear on the trouser pocket !.
 

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Joined
13 Feb 2011
Messages
3,275
I'm firmly of the opinion that any coins worth less than 10p should be abolished as they are worthless, wasteful and productivity-sapping, which would also have the convenient side benefit of doing away with the '.99' nonsense. Would firms then price at '£X.90' then do we think?
I disagree. Those odd pennies have benefitted charities across the country. I generally stick any change less than 5p in a charity box.
 

su31

Member
Joined
18 Feb 2015
Messages
71
Location
Romford
I've noticed more recently, if using a banknote to buy a £1.49 or £1.99 item for example, not receiving the 1p in my change, thereby unofficially paying £1.50 or £2.
 

Altrincham

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2011
Messages
276
I recall being told many years ago that the .99p on items was a throwback to the days when businesses wanted to make sure that the till drawers were opened and the transaction registered, with the purchaser waiting for their penny change.

I’ve often thought about this and wondered if it’s still relevant today, especially where a high number of payments are handled using debit/credit cards. I’d be happy to see a nice round figure. Most of my payments are by card these days.
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,726
Location
West Riding
I've noticed more recently, if using a banknote to buy a £1.49 or £1.99 item for example, not receiving the 1p in my change, thereby unofficially paying £1.50 or £2.
That’s quite normal abroad; in Italy for example

I recall being told many years ago that the .99p on items was a throwback to the days when businesses wanted to make sure that the till drawers were opened and the transaction registered, with the purchaser waiting for their penny change.

I’ve often thought about this and wondered if it’s still relevant today, especially where a high number of payments are handled using debit/credit cards. I’d be happy to see a nice round figure. Most of my payments are by card these days.
It’s still possible for a cashier to have a pile of 1p coins by the till, ready to give out to anyone who pays to the nearest pound. The customer gets their change as normal, but the transaction doesn’t go through and the cashier pockets the pound coins/note. Beware anyone with a small pile of coins near their till…
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,682
Location
Solihull
One of the things I like about buying from the major retailers in Portugal is that they now show the prices per kg, litre, or even sheet of toilet paper.

It's the thing I look at the most when buying my groceries, even if it's displayed in small print.
Thats quite common here in the UK too, its useful information.
 

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Joined
23 Oct 2013
Messages
4,759
There seems to be much inconsistency. In Tesco the majority of items seem to be priced to a rounded amount but then they price some items, such as their own brand biscuits at 49p or similar. If it is worth charging (ie no negative customer feedback) a rounded 80p or £1.20 for fresh bread rolls (instead of 79p / £1.19) why not just charge 50p for the biscuits. One or the other please.

Poundland is the land where you paid a pound, and only a pound, for everything.
Poundstretcher is where the customer gets good value because their pounds are stretched, rather than the pound price being stretched to allow different prices. That's how I read it anyway.
 

DelayRepay

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2011
Messages
2,929
There seems to be much inconsistency. In Tesco the majority of items seem to be priced to a rounded amount but then they price some items, such as their own brand biscuits at 49p or similar. If it is worth charging (ie no negative customer feedback) a rounded 80p or £1.20 for fresh bread rolls (instead of 79p / £1.19) why not just charge 50p for the biscuits. One or the other please.
Perhaps they do it to appear above their rivals on comparison sites?

The think that annoys me is petrol stations, pricing petrol at £x.xx9 per litre. Why??
 

PeterY

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2013
Messages
1,363
I disagree. Those odd pennies have benefitted charities across the country. I generally stick any change less than 5p in a charity box.
I always ask the staff to put the odd pennies into their charity box. I know it's not a lot but all those 1p's soon add up, over a year, if the majority of customers do it, especially with large chain stores. :D
 

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2019
Messages
1,517
Poundland is the land where you paid a pound, and only a pound, for everything.
Poundstretcher is where the customer gets good value because their pounds are stretched, rather than the pound price being stretched to allow different prices. That's how I read it anyway.

Up in my neck of the woods there is a chain of bakeries called the Pound Bakery that are part of the Sayers/Hampsons group.

Up until 2020ish, most of their produce could be bought for £1 such as a small sandwich or 2 x pasties. Fastforward two and a bit years and there is literally nothing left on sale now for £1 or less, other than a muffin or ginger man for 75p.

I even commented recently that the chain should be named the One Fifty Bakery to reflect the rising price of inflation.

CJ
 

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Joined
23 Oct 2013
Messages
4,759
Up in my neck of the woods there is a chain of bakeries called the Pound Bakery that are part of the Sayers/Hampsons group.

Up until 2020ish, most of their produce could be bought for £1 such as a small sandwich or 2 x pasties. Fastforward two and a bit years and there is literally nothing left on sale now for £1 or less, other than a muffin or ginger man for 75p.

I even commented recently that the chain should be named the One Fifty Bakery to reflect the rising price of inflation.

CJ
Yes, we had one of those up Hanley Duck. Haven't been since Covid but many things had already gone beyond the £1 before that. You used to be able to get two potato pies for £1. The brand started when Sayers had a bit of a business wobble and 'pound' things were all the rage at the time.

The big benefit was that, come October they did a great Parkin, otherwise impossible to buy.
 

Ianigsy

Established Member
Joined
12 May 2015
Messages
1,348
I disagree. Those odd pennies have benefitted charities across the country. I generally stick any change less than 5p in a charity box.
I used to help out with door to door charity street collections at Christmas- after a while you learned which houses saved up a year’s worth of coppers for you to carry around for the rest of the evening, and avoided them!

Thinking about it, the penny must be worth about the same now as the Australian and Canadian cents when they were abolished (and probably has considerably less purchasing power than the decimal halfpenny had when it was done away with). I loathe the things myself, but we persist nevertheless…
 

scragend

Member
Joined
27 Feb 2016
Messages
211
I'm wondering if Poundland might rebrand. In Ireland it's called Dealz (as they obviously don't have pounds over there!) and recently I've noticed a lot more lorries knocking about with Dealz.ie on the side rather than Poundland. They might just be using more Irish lorries to deliver to the UK for some reason but, as fewer and fewer things in Poundland cost a pound anymore, perhaps the rebranding would make more sense.

If only they would spell it properly...
 

DelayRepay

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2011
Messages
2,929
I always ask the staff to put the odd pennies into their charity box. I know it's not a lot but all those 1p's soon add up, over a year, if the majority of customers do it, especially with large chain stores. :D
Is it just me, or are charity boxes themselves less common these days? I think most shops/cafes/pubs used to have a collection tin on the counter. I remember the RNLI used to have one where you'd slide the penny down a little lifeboat into the slot.

Nowadays I don't think they're as common. The exception being November when the Royal British Legion have the market cornered!
 

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Joined
23 Oct 2013
Messages
4,759
Regarding the inflation value of the 1p coin.

I've had a look online and a decimal half-pence, introduced in 1971 and withdrawn in 1984 would be worth 1p today (strictly 1.124p) inflated from 1984. Assuming that people accepted the loss of the half-pence then yes, it is time to remove the 1p coin.

Something would need to be agreed with banks though. The half-pence was never used in banking where things were rounded to the nearest penny, if the 1p were to be removed then it would also need to be removed from banking as they would be unable to honour an account of, say £10.01.

Calculator online at moneysorter. Trigger warning: contains a picture of Steve Wright.

Is it just me, or are charity boxes themselves less common these days? I think most shops/cafes/pubs used to have a collection tin on the counter. I remember the RNLI used to have one where you'd slide the penny down a little lifeboat into the slot.

Nowadays I don't think they're as common. The exception being November when the Royal British Legion have the market cornered!
Not just charity boxes but those door-to-door collection envelopes and street collections. The latter may not be quite as correct as I rarely visit high streets nowadays to really get a measure but it is a very long time since I had an envelope through the door.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top