• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sheffield - Preston - Leeds - Sheffield tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthewluck

Member
Joined
6 Aug 2012
Messages
76
Hi

I would appreciate some help finding the cheapest ticket for the following journey on Monday.

Depart Sheffield 06:20 arrive Preston 08:25 with a change at Manchester Piccadilly.

Then taking the 09:37 from Preston arriving Leeds 11:22

I would then return back to Sheffield around 2pm, hopefully on the XC service, but I do have a South Yorkshire Travelmaster ticket too so could take the semi-fast Northern service through Barnsley if it is cheaper at all!

Thanks in advance
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,628
Location
Birmingham
Consider a return ticket from Sheffield to Accrington. Permitted routes include Sheffield - Manchester - Preston - Accrington, and Accrington - Leeds - Sheffield. There is no Any Permitted ticket available, but there are two routes (via Burnley and via Stockport).

Cheapest option is to buy the £24 via Burnley ticket, and when the guard comes round on your outbound journey, pay a £1 change of route excess to via Stockport (half the difference, as it's one direction you're changing, not both).

Simplest option is to buy the £26 via Stockport ticket which is also valid to return via Burnley (as a more expensive route is valid on a cheaper route*).

*technically subject to a free, zero fare excess being issued but nobody ever bothers to issue these
 
Last edited:

matthewluck

Member
Joined
6 Aug 2012
Messages
76
Thanks JakeF I will buy the £24 one and ask for a change of route excess on board the EMT service from Sheffield for the outward journey. Would the change of route excess also be available from Sheffield ticket office?

How did you find Stuttgart, (I notice in your signature) I've just come back from there on Tuesday after a stay in Munich, it was cheaper to catch the ICE and stay in Stuttgart a day than to fly back directly to Manchester. Much better rail network and ticketing over there!
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,628
Location
Birmingham
Thanks JakeF I will buy the £24 one and ask for a change of route excess on board the EMT service from Sheffield for the outward journey. Would the change of route excess also be available from Sheffield ticket office?
Yes, you can also buy it before travel at the ticket office. If you forget, or you're running late, or the staff don't know how to do it, there is no penalty for obtaining this excess onboard, ie it'll be the same price either way.

How did you find Stuttgart, (I notice in your signature) I've just come back from there on Tuesday after a stay in Munich, it was cheaper to catch the ICE and stay in Stuttgart a day than to fly back directly to Manchester. Much better rail network and ticketing over there!
I liked it so much I'm flying out again on the 6th :) When I went, there was a special offer on (€19 for an advance single anywhere in the country) - if only we could have that over here! I also visited Munich, unfortunately every single one of my trains ran late :lol:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top