• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sheffield - Lincoln line, pre pacer days

Status
Not open for further replies.

bladesman123

Member
Joined
7 Jul 2009
Messages
89
Location
Sheffield
If i was for example going from sheffield to worksop on the sheffield-lincoln line before pacers/DMUs, does anyone know what type of traction would have got me there?

Thankyou

Dave
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Masbroughlad

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2011
Messages
1,847
Location
Midlands
Summer in the late 70's/early 80s-you could have got anything on a rake of mark ones on a Sheffield to Skegness train. Happy memories of 31s, 37s and the ocasional 40 if I remember correctly!
 

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
On the Skegs/Yarmouths you got loco hauleds, but pre-Pacers it was nearly all DMUs. Mainly Derby Heavyweight class 114s based at Lincoln if memory serves me correctly.
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,243
Location
UK
Could we get those 114's back. I honestly think they would be better than pacers :/ Or even those Mk1's with a heritage loco (get some extra cash for hertiige lines, and two coaches and max of 60mph, the strain on them wouldnt be too hard)
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,805
Location
Central Belt
As you specifically mention pacers the 101s and 156s were on the route in the early 90s before the 153s took over. The pacers started once the route was joined up to the Huddersfield service.
 

trentside

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2010
Messages
3,391
Location
Messroom
Yes, I remember the arrival of the Pacers. I was only fairly young at the time and all I wanted to do was get on a 'red train' (a 144). As soon as I managed it, I hated it! In truth, these days, I don't actually mind what turns up. Though I wouldn't have minded a chance to try out the 114s back when they were in service.
 

9K43

Member
Joined
1 May 2010
Messages
558
In the mid 80's Class 31 s were used on these trains, and displaced Transpennine units.
 

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2010
Messages
6,906
Location
Richmond, London
Could we get those 114's back. I honestly think they would be better than pacers :/ Or even those Mk1's with a heritage loco (get some extra cash for hertiige lines, and two coaches and max of 60mph, the strain on them wouldnt be too hard)

All very well but who shuts the door when you get off the train? At least pacers take care of themselves.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top