While I can't understand why anyone would buy those £300+ tickets on a low cost airline unless it was the ONLY seat available (once they get that expensive, you'd surely opt for a 'proper' carrier? Who would accept the poor treatment you get on a low cost airline when you've paid so much?), it's pretty obvious to anyone that they do exist - so why the media chooses to ignore that, I do not know.
If they didn't have those expensive tickets, the airlines would go out of business!
Even Metro today talked about the '13% fares increase' in the headline, with the 'up to 13%' bit in the body copy. Of course, it's true that there are 13% increases (for SET) but I do hate it when headlines aren't strictly true. Still, it's not going to change is it? Headlines are there to attract attention, and it's commonly accepted you can twist things as much you want.