shredder1
Established Member
Severn Valley Railway Spring Steam Gala. Saturday 18th March 2017.
I did intend driving down and staying over the weekend, but couldnt find any realistically priced accommodation so instead opted for the train early Saturday morning. So it was up at 04.00 and a drive into Manchester for the 05.11 Cross Country service to Crewe, were I intended catching the 06.11 London Midland service to Galton Bridge, (Thomas Telford`s amazing structure), with a change for Kidderminster. However at 06.09 no less than two EWS Class 66`s passed through Crewe station in opposite directions and I couldnt resist a few pictures, but being next to my train, the doors closed at 06.10 and despite pressing the door button before it left, I was told I`d missed the train. Not all bad though, I returned to the café for a coffee and a dodgy looking bacon bap and no sooner had I returned to the platform, than the Nuclear Flash came through headed by a class 37 and 57 respectively, so another bonus.
I caught the next London Midland train down to Galton Bridge and made the change for Kidderminster, I had however missed the first train out on the Severn Valley by this time, but it was still a great day. I first took a the visiting Mickey Mouse tank, 41312 up the line on a shuttle service to Bewdley, and next the double headed GWR 0-4-2, Collett, 1450, and GWR 0-6-0PT, Collett Pannier Tank 7714 which I boarded to the top of the line, Bridgnorth. I returned from Bridgnorth to Highley behind BR standard 9F 92214 and caught another northbound service behind ex LMS Ivatt 4MT 2-6-0, 43106 to Hampton Loade.
From Hampton Loade I returned once more to Bridgnorth behind the Bulleid 92 Squadron, and left Bridgnorth on the Bulleid after its run round and watering, travelling south behind her to Bewdley. I finally caught re-built Bulleid Pacific 34053 Sir Keith Park back into Kidderminster.
Trains were running until late in the evening, but sadly I needed to head back North, the Severn Valley Railway put on an excellent event, a big well done to all. I bought some fish and chips across the road from the station and eat them on the train to Birmingham, changing at Birmingham Snow Hill and walking across the town to New Street Station to catch a Cross Country Voyager directly into Manchester Piccadilly and after the drive home arrived back just after 21.00. A great day out, and nice to catch up with a few friends at the gala.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/edit/a.1286990544681795.1073742694.100001125840218/
I did intend driving down and staying over the weekend, but couldnt find any realistically priced accommodation so instead opted for the train early Saturday morning. So it was up at 04.00 and a drive into Manchester for the 05.11 Cross Country service to Crewe, were I intended catching the 06.11 London Midland service to Galton Bridge, (Thomas Telford`s amazing structure), with a change for Kidderminster. However at 06.09 no less than two EWS Class 66`s passed through Crewe station in opposite directions and I couldnt resist a few pictures, but being next to my train, the doors closed at 06.10 and despite pressing the door button before it left, I was told I`d missed the train. Not all bad though, I returned to the café for a coffee and a dodgy looking bacon bap and no sooner had I returned to the platform, than the Nuclear Flash came through headed by a class 37 and 57 respectively, so another bonus.
I caught the next London Midland train down to Galton Bridge and made the change for Kidderminster, I had however missed the first train out on the Severn Valley by this time, but it was still a great day. I first took a the visiting Mickey Mouse tank, 41312 up the line on a shuttle service to Bewdley, and next the double headed GWR 0-4-2, Collett, 1450, and GWR 0-6-0PT, Collett Pannier Tank 7714 which I boarded to the top of the line, Bridgnorth. I returned from Bridgnorth to Highley behind BR standard 9F 92214 and caught another northbound service behind ex LMS Ivatt 4MT 2-6-0, 43106 to Hampton Loade.
From Hampton Loade I returned once more to Bridgnorth behind the Bulleid 92 Squadron, and left Bridgnorth on the Bulleid after its run round and watering, travelling south behind her to Bewdley. I finally caught re-built Bulleid Pacific 34053 Sir Keith Park back into Kidderminster.
Trains were running until late in the evening, but sadly I needed to head back North, the Severn Valley Railway put on an excellent event, a big well done to all. I bought some fish and chips across the road from the station and eat them on the train to Birmingham, changing at Birmingham Snow Hill and walking across the town to New Street Station to catch a Cross Country Voyager directly into Manchester Piccadilly and after the drive home arrived back just after 21.00. A great day out, and nice to catch up with a few friends at the gala.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/edit/a.1286990544681795.1073742694.100001125840218/