• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Severe Weather in Central Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
I would argue that is a slight exaggeration, turning at Busby is usually due to late running of ten minutes or more, and really isn't that common. The line generally runs extremely well all day every day. But cancellations are of course more prominent to passengers, than the countless times the service runs to a T!

Perhaps it was just bad luck, but I was placed in Hairmyres Hospital last year and for the first three sessions people were late because the train got cancelled at Busby :lol: Needless to say they soon decided to take the car.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CarterUSM

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2010
Messages
2,495
Location
North Britain
Perhaps it was just bad luck, but I was placed in Hairmyres Hospital last year and for the first three sessions people were late because the train got cancelled at Busby :lol: Needless to say they soon decided to take the car.



I think it was bad luck, I never seem to get turned at Busby, and that is bad luck for me! :D
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
Slightly old news but this is the first chance I've had to post them, attached are a couple of pictures.

One of which shows Waverley station at just after 5pm, with the ticket machines "Out of Order" to prevent people buying tickets they couldn't use, lots of rail workers around and a board full of woe! As I said before, the rail staff seemed to do a reasonale job as it appeared people knew what was going on and when trains were leaving, they very quickly got people through to the platforms and off the concourse. Not so useful with any other available transport where trains weren't running, though. The annoucements, however, were next to useless, as they echoed so much they were virtually inaudible.

The other picture shows page 1 of the departure boards that greeted us at just after 4.30...not good reading! Not sure I have ever seen anything so bad!

Spent in the end the best part of 2 1/2 hours on the "bridge" where the picture of the concourse was taken from. Odd trains came in and departed, but not many at all. Eventually got a CityLink bus back to Perth, taking over 2 1/2 hours due to the road closures etc.

Not an experience I would like to repeat any time in the near future, but it has to be said, it was an experience, which didn't turn out entirely negative. Had I been in a rush to get somewhere it may have been different, but just wanted to get to the hotel before the end of the night. It meant I didn't get to do all the Fife Circle but did some of it the day after (probably the better bit too as it was the coastal part)

I would have liked to have posted more on this at the time of being "in the mix" at Waverley station. Unfortunately my phone won't post on the forum (its a WAP service (old school, i know!) so whilst I can read the forums and click the "Post" button, I can't actually select the text box to type) and the only one I could post at the time was when I was "borrowing" WiFi from a stranded East Coast 225 sat in one of the through platforms!
 

Attachments

  • Edinburgh Waverley Disruption.JPG
    Edinburgh Waverley Disruption.JPG
    278.7 KB · Views: 26
  • EDB Departure Board.JPG
    EDB Departure Board.JPG
    227.2 KB · Views: 29

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,295
I think it was bad luck, I never seem to get turned at Busby, and that is bad luck for me! :D

I used to live in Busby and it did happen a fair few times ! Just luck ! There used to be a service that started at Busby at 823AM from Busby and a service to Busby only at 1652 . The 823 started from platform 2. East Kilbride Station is poorly serviced by buses hence the large car park at the station .
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top