• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement - ticket irregularity

Status
Not open for further replies.

752wcm

New Member
Joined
22 Jul 2024
Messages
2
Location
London
I was stopped by a member of GA staff at Stansted Airport 4-5 months ago for having the incorrect ticket (i.e. shorter than my actual journey), had travelled out of London and forgot that you can't tap out. I initially tried to maintain that my ticket was legitimate but was then told this is getting serious, was shown the inspector's badge and informed that the rest would be a recorded statement, at which point I told the truth.

I received a letter this week asking me to pay £100 plus fare to settle the matter. I thought others may be interested in this given that I spent a good few weeks immediately after the event worrying and checking this forum regularly.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

furlong

Established Member
Joined
28 Mar 2013
Messages
5,334
Location
Reading
Where did you start your journey? Liverpool St and Tottenham Hale are plastered with signs reminding you that you can't do this. There are usually verbal announcements on the train too.

What else would you like them to have reasonably done to act as a reminder and stop you making this mistake?
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,991
Location
Airedale
Thanks for letting us know the result, and glad the forum has been some use.

It seems a decent result in your situation - I hope that's your view too :)
 

752wcm

New Member
Joined
22 Jul 2024
Messages
2
Location
London
Where did you start your journey? Liverpool St and Tottenham Hale are plastered with signs reminding you that you can't do this. There are usually verbal announcements on the train too.

What else would you like them to have reasonably done to act as a reminder and stop you making this mistake?
I'm unsure of what you're attempting to achieve with this post. I don't expect them to do anything else - I am aware of the rules but it simply slipped my mind on the day, I've made the same journey many times without forgetting. This was just one of those times, I guess. I'm happy to remove this thread if you'd prefer - thought it may simply be helpful as a point of reference for others.
Thanks for letting us know the result, and glad the forum has been some use.

It seems a decent result in your situation - I hope that's your view too :)
Yes, I am pleased with the outcome and glad the settlement was presented upfront!
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,157
There is no need to remove this thread. While I don't recall a thread about your individual case, it is extremely useful to know the outcome of these cases so that we can assist people who ask for our help in similar situations in the future.
 

furlong

Established Member
Joined
28 Mar 2013
Messages
5,334
Location
Reading
I don't expect them to do anything else - I am aware of the rules but it simply slipped my mind on the day, I've made the same journey many times without forgetting.

So you think there is nothing more they could have done which would have reminded you to check and avoided what happened to you?

That's interesting. Currently signage and the other announcements is what the railway is attempting to do to stop people inadvertently arriving at Stansted after just touching in. Yet despite all the effort they put into this, they still catch large numbers of people like you at Stansted.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top