• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

High Dyke

Established Member
Joined
1 Jan 2013
Messages
4,997
Location
Yellabelly Country
Peter Williams (15 January 1723 – 8 August 1796) was a prominent leader of Welsh Calvinistic Methodism in the eighteenth century, best known for publishing Welsh-language bibles and bible commentary.

Williams was born at West Marsh Farm in Laugharne in Carmarthenshire, the son of Owen and Elizabeth Williams. In 1748, he married Mary Jenkins and settled at Llandyfaelog in Carmarthenshire.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DerekC

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2015
Messages
2,432
Location
Hampshire (nearly a Hog)
Mr Walter Davies, inventor of the "Stepney" spare wheel, once lived in Llandyfaelog.

Early cars did not carry spare wheels. Mr Davies and his brother invented a clamp-on "get you home" device which fitted over the existing wheel.

The technology has moved on, but the name has passed into language on the Indian subcontinent, where a spare wheel is still called a "Stepney".

Oh, and the name has nothing to do with Stepney in London. It refers to Stepney Street in Llanelli, Carmarthenshire, where Mr Davies and his brother had their factory.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

DerekC

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2015
Messages
2,432
Location
Hampshire (nearly a Hog)
In the early 17th Century the Separatists, a loose grouping of protestants who separated from the Church of England because they didn't believe in state interference in religion, formed a congregation at Babworth with the active support of Richard Clifton, the Rector. In 1605 Clifton was ejected from his position and moved to Scrooby, Nottinghamshire. Several members of the congregation subsequently emigrated to America on the Mayflower.
 

DerekC

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2015
Messages
2,432
Location
Hampshire (nearly a Hog)
The Mullard thermionic valve company once had a large factory just outside Padiham. The company was established by Captain Stanley Mullard, who learned the subject while leading research into high power valves for the Royal Navy in WWI. The company was sold to Philips of Eindhoven in the late 1920s but the trade name was still used until the 1980s. These days it is best remembered in the name of the Mullard Radio Astronomy Laboratory at Harlton, near Cambridge.
 

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Joined
25 Mar 2010
Messages
1,758
Location
Newport, South Wales
The parish church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Harlton contains a memorial to the wood-engraver Gwendolen Mary "Gwen" Raverat née Darwin (1885 – 1957). It is there at the church as family and friends donated to its restoration in her memory; it is believed the wood block print by Raverat, 'Harvest Feast' was based on The Manor Barn in Harlton. Gwen Raverat was born and died in Cambridge, and is buried in the Trumpington Extension Cemetery, Cambridge with her father.
 

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Joined
25 Mar 2010
Messages
1,758
Location
Newport, South Wales
The parish church at Hauxton has been dedicated to St Edmund (c841 - 869) since the 15th century, although was probably founded prior to the Norman Conquest. The present building is small and comprises a chancel, nave, and west tower. It has been largely unchanged since its construction in the 12th century, other than the addition of the three-storey tower in the 15th century.[5] The church is Grade I listed. There is some uncertainty about where and when Edmund was killed, but a stone cross at Hoxne in Suffolk marks one supposed location of his death. The monument records that it was built on the site of an ancient oak tree which fell in 1848 and was found to have an arrow head embedded in its trunk.
 

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Joined
25 Mar 2010
Messages
1,758
Location
Newport, South Wales
The church of St Peter, Athelington is medieval in origin and was majorly restored both internally and externally in 1873 –1874. Three bells hang in the tower, all cast in 1450, by John Magges of Norwich and are currently unringable; the largest weighs approximately 4.5 cwt and has a diameter of 28 inches. These were the lightest bells created by John Magges; the heaviest (weighing 14 cwt) is at All Saints Church, Laxfield, Suffolk.
 

Top