• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sent a letter threatening me over court

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttt19

Member
Joined
6 Sep 2024
Messages
6
Location
brighton
I was travelling from Bicester north to Marylebone and didn’t purchase a valid ticket and was caught at barriers where I gave my details. Roughly 5 months later I received this letter “
Dear Parent/Guardian,

We are in receipt of a report, which advises that on 12/05/2024, a person giving your child's name and details was spoken to by railway revenue protection staff in connection with a journey between Haddenham & Thame Parkway and Marylebone, at the time they failed to show a valid rail ticket for the rail journey that they were making or had made.

Following them being spoken to; the Fraud Investigation Unit submitted a data access request Under Schedule 2 Part 1

Paragraph 2 of the Data Protection Act 2018 and GDPR Article 6 (1) (d), to various rail ticket retailers, which has revealed that they may have avoided the correct rail fare on other occasions.

If you have a valid railcard but were unable to produce it to the rail official on the day in question, please email a copy of any railcards you hold or previously held for us to review.

The purpose of this letter is to advise you of the report, of any action that may follow from it, and to provide you with the opportunity to inform us of any mitigation that you may wish to be considered. This can be sent to the address shown above, or via email; Fraud@chilternrailways.co.uk

The report of this incident indicates that further action can be justified. However, in line with Home Office guidelines, which suggest that cases involving young persons can be dealt with outside the judicial process wherever possible, this matter has been assessed and considered to be suitable for resolving by administrative disposal. This includes the fare(s) due, and an administration charge incurred in its recovery.


The company considers this a serious matter, and if we do not hear from you within 14 days of the date of this letter, a summons to a Youth Court hearing may be issued without further reference to you.”

I have previously travelled in south western railways twice only and this is where I got caught. I regularly travel in south eastern railway too. Please give me the best advice…
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

notmyrealname

Member
Joined
26 Oct 2023
Messages
502
Location
London
Hi.

I expect the forum experts will be here soon to help you and with questions.

They're likely to ask if you've travelled before with the wrong ticket. Please tell us what's been happening.
 

ttt19

Member
Joined
6 Sep 2024
Messages
6
Location
brighton
That seems to be very weird


You already got caught?
No I’ve only been caught this time in south western railway however after this incident I got caught on south eastern railway with the wrong ticket too :(

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Hi.

I expect the forum experts will be here soon to help you and with questions.

They're likely to ask if you've travelled before with the wrong ticket. Please tell us what's been happening.
I’ve travelled with the incorrect ticket many times in south eastern railway but hadn’t been caught in south eastern railway until after this south western incident. I’ve only ever travelled in south western railway twice before this and no issues
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,670
Location
LBK
Are you under the age of 18? That is, the letter has come for your parents but the child being referred to is you?
 

SuspectUsual

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2018
Messages
6,843
This is all a bit confusing (for me at least!)

We have "I" and "your child", and we have Bicester North and Haddenham & Thame Parkway

Can you clarify:

- who got caught
- when
- where
- what ticket (if any) was held
 

Adam Williams

Established Member
Joined
2 Jan 2018
Messages
3,623
Location
Warks
This is all a bit confusing (for me at least!)

We have "I" and "your child", and we have Bicester North and Haddenham & Thame Parkway

Can you clarify:

- who got caught
- when
- where
- what ticket (if any) was held
I'm also confused about the connection between SWR and Chiltern!
 

ttt19

Member
Joined
6 Sep 2024
Messages
6
Location
brighton
Are you under the age of 18? That is, the letter has come for your parents but the child being referred to is you?
Yes the letter was sent to me (under18) but my parents showed me it

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I'm also confused about the connection between SWR and Chiltern!
Maybe I’m mistaken I thought that Bicester north was south western railway but maybe it’s chiltern

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

This is all a bit confusing (for me at least!)

We have "I" and "your child", and we have Bicester North and Haddenham & Thame Parkway

Can you clarify:

- who got caught
- when
- where
- what ticket (if any) was held
I got caught at Marylebone in mid May and had a ticket from Wembley to Marylebone
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,670
Location
LBK
Sounds like you need to talk to your parents, as it it they who will end up having to deal with this. It'll cost them a substantial sum of money to deal with this - have you been short ticketing routinely on other train companies too?
 

ttt19

Member
Joined
6 Sep 2024
Messages
6
Location
brighton
Sounds like you need to talk to your parents, as it it they who will end up having to deal with this. It'll cost them a substantial sum of money to deal with this - have you been short ticketing routinely on other train companies too?
Yes I have. I told them I’m going to do some research for how to deal with it best and came across this website. Typically how do people deal with this situation?
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,670
Location
LBK
Yes I have. I told them I’m going to do some research for how to deal with it best and came across this website. Typically how do people deal with this situation?
You will essentially have to admit to all the short faring (they have already audited your ticket purchases anyway), and you will need to pay all the outstanding fares plus an administration fee. The company has already indicated that due to your age they aren't likely to prosecute you.
 

ttt19

Member
Joined
6 Sep 2024
Messages
6
Location
brighton
You will essentially have to admit to all the short faring (they have already audited your ticket purchases anyway), and you will need to pay all the outstanding fares plus an administration fee. The company has already indicated that due to your age they aren't likely to prosecute you.
Ok thanks appreciate your help
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,047
Location
Up the creek
Just to make it clear, although it might be irrelevant, Chiltern will investigate all your journeys with all train operators, including South Eastern, and may ask you to explain those that appear suspicious. However, Chiltern will deal with all cases and you will not need to deal with another company for anything discovered in this investigation.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,047
Location
Up the creek
Typically, how much is the administration fee out of interest?

Usually, it is £150, although it can be more for complex investigations, which this one probably isn’t. However, when a child is involved they have been known to charge less.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top