• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SeniorRailcard v Disabled Railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,674
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Yes, it was in response to the comments about cyclists using headphones.

The point was that if hearing was essential to driving and cycling it would be illegal to drive or cycle with music (it isn't) and driving/cycling if deaf may not be allowed.

It clearly has an effect but must be regarded to be low, particularly when combined with the benefits it has of reducing driver fatigue issues.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I wear hearing aids due to having mild hearing loss. The hearing aids give me the same level of hearing as someone without hearing loss and I don't consider it a disability. When my 26-30 railcard finally expires, I'm 31, perhaps I could apply for a disabled railcard. I don't feel like I should be entitled to one but a quick look on the railcard website suggests I am!

I certainly would - it is the king of Railcards, having no time restrictions and being applicable to all First Class fares.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,770
The point was that if hearing was essential to driving and cycling it would be illegal to drive or cycle with music (it isn't) and driving/cycling if deaf may not be allowed.

It clearly has an effect but must be regarded to be low, particularly when combined with the benefits it has of reducing driver fatigue issues.
I don’t disagree with this.
 

Teflon988

Member
Joined
15 Mar 2022
Messages
36
Location
East Anglia
I have a Disabled Railcard, it's straightforward to apply online, quick to be dealt with and get the card sent back to you. Unless someone else has mentioned it, it can be purchased for three years as well. Its very handy that it can be used without time restriction, when I lived near Nuneaton it was possible to regularly get an advanced cheap ticket £7.45 for the 07:34 Nuneaton to London Euston (08:43)with Avanti West Coast so a peak service. For a few weeks after I moved to mid Suffolk in January 2022 it was possible to get an advanced cheap ticket with Greater Anglia from Stowmarket to London Liverpool Street for £6.60 on the 05:34 and 05:59 departures. Just lately however these particular tickets have disappeared.

The other advantage of the Disabled Person's Railcard is that it discounts Oyster fares at all times, unlike other railcards.

It's also worth noting that the Disabled Person's Railcard now requires a photograph (it never used to). I renewed mine online (also for a hearing impairment) and had to upload a photo.
Wow ! this looks like it's worth it's weight in gold then.
 

gtis

Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
260
Location
darfield sth yorkshire
Hi do you need to get a letter from you audiologist to get a disabled rail card
As they no longer have a battery book
Neil

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I obtained my Disabled Railcard - now stored on my phone - by submitting a scan of my NHS hearing aid battery issue docket showing my name. No need for the prescription.
I have two hearing aids but I don’t have a battery issue book I get them posted to
Me when required
Neil
 
Last edited:

3rd rail land

Member
Joined
30 Jan 2019
Messages
752
Location
Where the 3rd rail powers the trains
Hi do you need to get a letter from you audiologist to get a disabled rail card
As they no longer have a battery book
Neil

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


I have two hearing aids but I don’t have a battery issue book I get them posted to
Me when required
Neil
I suspect you will need a letter from your audiologist if you have no other evidence/a battery book.

I still have my battery book but because I now use a private company for my hearing aids I will submit a copy of the invoice they gave me when I got the hearing aids. It has my name and address on it and clearly states the make/model of the hearing aids so I suspect that will pass muster and be accepted as evidence.

Even when I used the NHS I didn't bother going to the audiology department at the hospital for batteries as I could buy a years supply online for £12 and if I remember correct they only give 4 packs, so 24 batteries, at a time which would mean going perhaps 3 times a year to restock on batteries and I couldn't be bothered.
 

Vespa

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2019
Messages
1,733
Location
Merseyside
Good thing about online applications is once you're on the system, renewing is quite straightforward just click renew railcard and pay, I usually renew for 3 years you save a bit more than annual renewal.
 

lachlan

Member
Joined
11 Aug 2019
Messages
1,171
In theory I think it's meant to be related to whether the disability affects the person's ability to drive - but this is a bit nebulous.
Reading the Railcard website, it says "The Disabled Persons Railcard is for people with a disability that makes travelling by train difficult". Reading the criteria the most noticeable omission is any kind of mental health condition.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,674
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Reading the Railcard website, it says "The Disabled Persons Railcard is for people with a disability that makes travelling by train difficult". Reading the criteria the most noticeable omission is any kind of mental health condition.

I'm not sure I'd dig too far with this - a proposal to review it would likely result in conditions being removed from the list, not added to it, e.g. having a threshold for hearing loss rather than just requiring production of a hearing aid book.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,532
Location
LBK
Reading the Railcard website, it says "The Disabled Persons Railcard is for people with a disability that makes travelling by train difficult". Reading the criteria the most noticeable omission is any kind of mental health condition.
Some (a few?) mental health conditions will be covered by PIP and hence qualify under that criteria.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top