• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SeniorRailcard v Disabled Railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,532
Location
LBK
The Disabled Railcard isn’t necessarily linked to your ability to drive. There are myriad conditions which don’t impede driving but which attract the payment of PIP or other benefits which qualify you for the Railcard.
 

Vespa

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2019
Messages
1,733
Location
Merseyside
I have a disabled railcard, I've just renewed it, the website asked me to upload a photo as well, when I got my plastic card there is no photo on it.

Interesting to know the difference between senior and disabled railcards.
 

Class800

Established Member
Joined
5 Feb 2020
Messages
2,112
Location
West Country
I have a disabled railcard, I've just renewed it, the website asked me to upload a photo as well, when I got my plastic card there is no photo on it.

Interesting to know the difference between senior and disabled railcards.
Could inform Information Commissioners Office that personal data were requested and not used - as per GDPR, but depends if it's important to you
 

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Joined
29 Sep 2016
Messages
3,414
It does affect ability to perceive situations safely as a driver, such as approaching traffic at junctions, and approaching sirens
But you can still drive. The DVLA are happy for you to be deaf and be a bus or lorry driver too. Some insurance companies give you a discount as you have much more visual awareness and, statistically, are much less likely to have an accident.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
Photos are personal data, and as such under GDPR, should only be requested if there is a legitimate purpose - i.e. it will be put on the railcard
There is a legitimate purpose namely preventing and detecting crime by misuse of Railcards.

Whether that is spelt out properly and in a compliant way in their privacy statement is of course a separate question.
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,637
Location
Merseyside
It is totally inappropriate that they are asking for a photo for applications and renewals. It is not required and they are not doing this for telephone bills or postal renewals or applications. So yes a complaint does need to be put in about this and that the matter is not resolved he needs to go to the information commissioner's office
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,532
Location
LBK
I don’t get why this is actually a problem.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,673
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
It does affect ability to perceive situations safely as a driver, such as approaching traffic at junctions, and approaching sirens

It is however safely mitigable (is that a word?) - because if it wasn't the use of audio equipment in cars would be prohibited, or at least it would require a calibrated, regulated upper volume level. Thus it doesn't make driving considerably more difficult nor less safe.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I don’t get why this is actually a problem.

It's a GDPR breach to collect Personally Identifiable Information (which in this specific context a photo is) when you don't have a purpose for it. You can't collect data speculatively.

The fix is just to print photos on all Railcards. There is no particular reason not to and it reduces/prevents use by people for whom it was not purchased.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,532
Location
LBK
It's a GDPR breach to collect Personally Identifiable Information (which in this specific context a photo is) when you don't have a purpose for it. You can't collect data speculatively.

The fix is just to print photos on all Railcards. There is no particular reason not to and it reduces/prevents use by people for whom it was not purchased.
I get that it may be technically a breach, but if it is one that is solved by simply sending you back a photo of yourself on a card then I don’t see what actual problem there is. Some people here have too much time on their hands!
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,275
I get that it may be technically a breach, but if it is one that is solved by simply sending you back a photo of yourself on a card then I don’t see what actual problem there is. Some people here have too much time on their hands!
I agree, I don't personally think it's a problem, and would not be to me - it's just that it is now illegal I suspect (subject to their agreement wording terms I guess) due to GDPR laws. I don't think ATOC/National Railcards or whatever they are called now should be doing illegal stuff, and I doubt they think that really.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
It is totally inappropriate that they are asking for a photo for applications and renewals. It is not required and they are not doing this for telephone bills or postal renewals or applications. So yes a complaint does need to be put in about this and that the matter is not resolved he needs to go to the information commissioner's office
Let me know the outcome when you put in a complaint to the Rail Delivery Group.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,275
The Disabled Railcard isn’t necessarily linked to your ability to drive. There are myriad conditions which don’t impede driving but which attract the payment of PIP or other benefits which qualify you for the Railcard.
Yes, as I said up thread, I think it is more about a reflection on what people saw as a 'disability' back in the 1970s when the card was introduced and the eligibility criteria drawn up then, which has I suspect evolved since. Of course the link to things like PIP / Attendance Allowance etc creates a link to evolving definitions of disability as defined by Government / Parliament too.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
If wanting a GDPR breach resolved, the Information Commissioner would be the way to go. Most businesses run quite scared of them!
It's usual to address complaints to the business and give them an opportunity to resolve them prior to escalating to government bodies.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,770
If wanting a GDPR breach resolved, the Information Commissioner would be the way to go. Most businesses run quite scared of them!
Isn’t the first point of contact the organisation collecting the data concerned?
 

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2006
Messages
6,727
Location
Milton Keynes
I obtained my Disabled Railcard - now stored on my phone - by submitting a scan of my NHS hearing aid battery issue docket showing my name. No need for the prescription.

I don't have NHS hearing aids, I went privately, and I've found the documentation, so when my Senior Railcard ends next February, I'm good to go
 

David57

Member
Joined
10 Apr 2013
Messages
279
Location
Rural Northamptonshire.
I was informed on Wednesday at my local station (quite a large one), that they could process disabled railcards there and then, and needed to provide a photo. Once I had pointed out both those anomilies, the young lady came back and said that I seemed to know more about the subject than she did, and was most apollogetic!
 

mmh

Established Member
Joined
13 Aug 2016
Messages
4,287
The list of eligibility criteria is quite interesting - and I suspect a 'social document' in itself in that I wonder if it reflects a 1970s (when the card was introduced?) view of 'disability' - in as much as I suspect that, for example, hearing loss of the level required to obtain the Railcard may now be more common, given the larger number of people living longer and who may suffer from it for age related reasons maybe, than would have been the case back in the 1970s. Just speculating this on my part.
It's notable that the disabled railcard criteria are far more prescriptive than those to get a car blue badge. The railway.
 

lachlan

Member
Joined
11 Aug 2019
Messages
1,171
But you can still drive. The DVLA are happy for you to be deaf and be a bus or lorry driver too. Some insurance companies give you a discount as you have much more visual awareness and, statistically, are much less likely to have an accident.
You can still drive, like how you can still drive if you're blind in one eye, but it may be less safe. I find it interesting when drivers complain about pedestrians and cyclists wearing headphones yet deaf people are allowed to drive and most people will have their radio on.
 

Vespa

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2019
Messages
1,733
Location
Merseyside
You can still drive, like how you can still drive if you're blind in one eye, but it may be less safe. I find it interesting when drivers complain about pedestrians and cyclists wearing headphones yet deaf people are allowed to drive and most people will have their radio on.
Deaf people use their eyes more and do look out for things, those wearing headphones etc are in a world of their own not being aware of danger round them.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,770
Deaf people use their eyes more and do look out for things, those wearing headphones etc are in a world of their own not being aware of danger round them.
Maybe, but people in cars with loud music…
 

Blinkbonny

Member
Joined
16 Mar 2018
Messages
410
For what it's worth, my wife is quite deaf and uses hearing aids (and yes, she has a railcard!)

We were driving once down a small country lane when some idiot in a hurry came up behind us and started blasting his horn as he thought my wife was going to slow for his liking. My wife said to me, "Goodness, there's something badly wrong with his engine. He needs to get that seen to!"

She had totally misinterpreted the noise he was making. Hearing aids are exactly that - an aid. They don't restore proper aural functioning.

That limits her driving ability to an extent. Travelling by train, with it's myriad announcements and alarms, she functions. I'm happier when she has a companion.
 

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Joined
29 Sep 2016
Messages
3,414
Travelling by train, with it's myriad announcements and alarms, she functions. I'm happier when she has a companion.
I'm happier just taking my hearing aids out and not being told to see it say it sort it.
You can drive lorries & buses when you're deaf, the only requirement from the DVLA is that you can "use a phone in an emergency situation" but generally this relates more to speech, as you simply call 999 and state you're deaf that you can't hear any responses and you'll say everything twice.
 

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Joined
26 Sep 2016
Messages
1,605
Location
Kent
In theory I think it's meant to be related to whether the disability affects the person's ability to drive - but this is a bit nebulous.
I agree, the website does not make that very clear though

I have dyspraxia and cannot drive. Judging stopping distances and multitasking are both very difficult for me. Despite 3 different driving instructors I have never been able to get up to passing level. Although this alone does not make me entitled to a railcard. However I am going to see when I try applying later this year
 

3rd rail land

Member
Joined
30 Jan 2019
Messages
752
Location
Where the 3rd rail powers the trains
It's also available for some very minor disabilities, such as if you need a hearing aid in one ear (which is how my Dad has one, he'd not consider himself disabled). I'd rather have my hearing than a Railcard, but equally I'd rather have his lack of hearing in one ear than my post-thrombotic syndrome, which doesn't even qualify!
I wear hearing aids due to having mild hearing loss. The hearing aids give me the same level of hearing as someone without hearing loss and I don't consider it a disability. When my 26-30 railcard finally expires, I'm 31, perhaps I could apply for a disabled railcard. I don't feel like I should be entitled to one but a quick look on the railcard website suggests I am!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top