• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Senior Railcard - proof of age

Status
Not open for further replies.

erk

Member
Joined
21 Nov 2012
Messages
129
An article in today's Daily Telegraph purports to summarise the elgilbility rules for various railcards. For the Senior Railcard it says "You need a valid form of ID such a a passport, UK driving licence or EEA national identity card with you when travelling to prove your age." (My emphasis.)

Is this a clause of the T's and C's I hadn't spotted (and have almost never complied with)? Or has the Telegraph made it up?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MarlowDonkey

Established Member
Joined
4 Apr 2013
Messages
1,880
Is this a clause of the T's and C's I hadn't spotted (and have almost never complied with)? Or has the Telegraph made it up?
It's some years since I first applied, but as far as I recall you only had to quote a passport number on the first application. You certainly need no more proof when ytravelling than a valid card. I suspect that many ticket inspectors would assume a valid card on sight anyway.

The Telegraph or its AI assistant has made it up.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,624
Location
LBK
Legacy media strikes again. No, you just need the railcard, which doesn't even have a photo on it let alone your date of birth.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,832
I wonder if they are managing to conflate the Senior Railcard with other age related discounts, such as Club 50/Club 55 and the like.
 
Last edited:

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,042
Location
Up the creek
As I remember it, you need proof of age when buying your first Senior Railcard and when buying a new one if you have let it lapse. However, if you are renewing before your old one has run out, I think that the old card suffices as proof of age. (N.b. I buy over the counter at a station.)
 

fandroid

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2014
Messages
2,569
Location
Hampshire
When I bought one over the counter at Glasgow Central, the staff member simply visually judged me to be eligible. But I feel 50 inside!
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
An article in today's Daily Telegraph purports to summarise the elgilbility rules for various railcards. For the Senior Railcard it says "You need a valid form of ID such a a passport, UK driving licence or EEA national identity card with you when travelling to prove your age." (My emphasis.)

Is this a clause of the T's and C's I hadn't spotted (and have almost never complied with)? Or has the Telegraph made it up?
Given the propensity of the Torygraph to embroider facts relating to anything that doesn't fit their agenda, I'm not surprised that they've put this frightener out.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top