• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Semi-Quarter Life Career Crisis (Need Advice)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Glasgow

Member
Joined
18 Jul 2018
Messages
45
Location
Edinburgh
Hello all!

This is my first post on here as I've been thinking where is best to have a chat about it, this forum seemed about right.

So basically as of right now I'm a semi-successful freelancer in photography and video production but this wasn't a career I always had envisioned from a young age.

Originally as i was growing up i was obsessed with the idea of working in the railways but then i took some media classes in highschool and the idea of working in the railways was put on the back burner. I'm at a point now that i'd have to essentially give up the years I've put into my freelance work if was to investigate working in the railways which i'm not sure I want to do as of yet.

Part of me would love to have a ride along/work shadow a shift as ultimately I wanted to work as a driver. I play simulations often and know my way about most cabs from the likes of a 156/158, Turbostars, HSTs, Pendolino and many others. Failing that as I know security is extremely strict, even just a walk about a depot/sitting in a cab or actual real life simulator would be great just to get an idea as to what it'd be like. I'm probably sounding like an enthusiast more than someone that wants to seriously look at it as a career but this isn't the case. I attended a few career open day conventions and back then LNER and a few other companies were present and we had a great chat albeit that was other 10 years or so ago and things have changed for me.

I dont know if its worth mentioning but my family did have a history of working in the railways with my grandad working right from the wartime steam period to diesel and breifly into electric before retiring. Sadly he passed away before i was born so i never really got to chat to him about working in the railways and I've never really had the opportunity to have a real chat about the prospect of working in the railways.


Anyways, if you've made it this far, thanks for taking the time to read what i've had to say and if anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to get back to me.


Thanks,
Ben
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ben Glasgow

Member
Joined
18 Jul 2018
Messages
45
Location
Edinburgh
Just a quick thanks to the mod/admin that moved my post from General Discussion to here, I wasn't sure at first if I should have posted in here with just joining the Forums so soon. :D
 

Sirgerbil

Member
Joined
19 Sep 2012
Messages
357
Just keep an eye out for trainee driver positions! apply and see how it goes.

I will however say that "enjoying" playing simulators does not translate that you will enjoy a career as a driver. Even if you did secure a cab ride, this again is not a true reflection of the job. You need to take into account that you will be working shifts at both extremes of the day and night, usually be unable to attend social events and spending time with your family will be difficult.

Becoming a driver is one of the hardest things I've ever done, at the same time I know I could lose my job at any minute due to something as simple as a lapse of concentration!

Either way, I wish you the best of luck on your journey!
 

Ben Glasgow

Member
Joined
18 Jul 2018
Messages
45
Location
Edinburgh
Just keep an eye out for trainee driver positions! apply and see how it goes.

I will however say that "enjoying" playing simulators does not translate that you will enjoy a career as a driver. Even if you did secure a cab ride, this again is not a true reflection of the job. You need to take into account that you will be working shifts at both extremes of the day and night, usually be unable to attend social events and spending time with your family will be difficult.

Becoming a driver is one of the hardest things I've ever done, at the same time I know I could lose my job at any minute due to something as simple as a lapse of concentration!

Either way, I wish you the best of luck on your journey!


Hey Sirgerbil!

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I definitely appreciate that there is more to the job compared to say a simulator sat at home etc as I appreciate there is way more pressure, much more roles and responsibility and the concentration required is 110%. Regarding shifts, at the moment my line of work is mostly events/clubs and albeit they are in social settings, my social life isn't exactly active at the moment, plus I have no family other than my parents and a few relatives so in that aspect, it'd not be a massive problem, plus the crazy hours some drivers end up working as I tend to work nights often anyways, right into silly o'clock.

Again touching on what I mentioned earlier in the OP, I'd love to arrange a sit-down or shadow if at all possible before I thought about applying for work in the railways. Just curious to see if there's any opportunities out there before fully committing.
 

LETHLFH

Member
Joined
9 Sep 2015
Messages
140
You'd be extremely lucky to get a cab ride, first of all you'd have to be given a red cab pass and you'd have to be accompanied by a green cab pass holder. The only people at my TOC I've seen with green can passes are the Driver Team Managers and Driver Instructors. Obviously due to the time and effort required to fulfill this in reality it's unlikely to happen when they already have such a high number of applicants per position already.
 

irish_rail

On Moderation
Joined
30 Oct 2013
Messages
4,529
Location
Plymouth
Do not repeat do not if u get an interview start talking about simulators. It is a huge red flag for employers and they will think spotter and run a mile. Think of what relevant real life experiences u can offer and if necessary make some up but do not talk about simulators or being an enthusiast.
Good luck
 

Ben Glasgow

Member
Joined
18 Jul 2018
Messages
45
Location
Edinburgh
Do not repeat do not if u get an interview start talking about simulators. It is a huge red flag for employers and they will think spotter and run a mile. Think of what relevant real life experiences u can offer and if necessary make some up but do not talk about simulators or being an enthusiast.
Good luck


I never thought of that actually. What’s the reason behind it being a red flag to employers?
 

Dieseldriver

Member
Joined
9 Apr 2012
Messages
1,020
Because the job is much more than a simulator (for starters, actually driving the train is 10% of the job. The 90% is learning/retaining masses of route knowledge, traction knowledge, rules and instructions and using all that knowledge correctly in a safety critical environment. It's also responding correctly to out of course, emergency and fault situations etc whilst managing your fatigue/monotony working an erratic and tiring shift pattern).
Driving on a simulator shows absolutely nothing and in my personal experience of people who use these simulators, they think they already know everything about Train Driving and may not grasp the seriousness of the training.
This isn't a pop at you but I think it's a fair post to show why the whole simulator thing isn't a great thing to shout about.
 

Ben Glasgow

Member
Joined
18 Jul 2018
Messages
45
Location
Edinburgh
Because the job is much more than a simulator (for starters, actually driving the train is 10% of the job. The 90% is learning/retaining masses of route knowledge, traction knowledge, rules and instructions and using all that knowledge correctly in a safety critical environment. It's also responding correctly to out of course, emergency and fault situations etc whilst managing your fatigue/monotony working an erratic and tiring shift pattern).
Driving on a simulator shows absolutely nothing and in my personal experience of people who use these simulators, they think they already know everything about Train Driving and may not grasp the seriousness of the training.
This isn't a pop at you but I think it's a fair post to show why the whole simulator thing isn't a great thing to shout about.



Ahhh no I totally get you. I mean, if I ever did have an interview it was never really an intention to really bring it up unless they asked about it or in passive talking/off the record I guess. Honestly for anyone reading through this, please don’t think I’m naive in thinking that simulators show what’s really involved, I know there’s waaaaaaay more to actual driving of trains in real life and such
 

Quote

Member
Joined
10 May 2018
Messages
43
You'll never get to shadow or the like. It's far too much hassle to arrange and if they let one they'll be inundated with requests, it's just not going to happen I'm afraid.
What you need to do is weigh up the theory of a train driving job vs the reality of what you currently do. It's a leap of faith for most applicants outside of the railway, including myself, but ultimately you need to be in a place where you're confident enough to take that risk. I would, politely, suggest you're not quite there yet. Get some experience that you can apply to the competencies they're looking for and go from there.
Good luck
 

Ben Glasgow

Member
Joined
18 Jul 2018
Messages
45
Location
Edinburgh
You'll never get to shadow or the like. It's far too much hassle to arrange and if they let one they'll be inundated with requests, it's just not going to happen I'm afraid.
What you need to do is weigh up the theory of a train driving job vs the reality of what you currently do. It's a leap of faith for most applicants outside of the railway, including myself, but ultimately you need to be in a place where you're confident enough to take that risk. I would, politely, suggest you're not quite there yet. Get some experience that you can apply to the competencies they're looking for and go from there.
Good luck

Yeah I think this is solid advice right here. And you’re right too, I think after giving it further thought, I’ve got a lot of thinking to do.
 

Ben Glasgow

Member
Joined
18 Jul 2018
Messages
45
Location
Edinburgh
Thanks so far for everyones input, hope I've not wasted anybody's time. As mentioned in the previous reply to Quote, I think I need to go away for a while and have a further think and such. If anyone else would like to give their thoughts and such, please let me know as any food for thought would be helpful.
 

scotraildriver

Established Member
Joined
15 Jun 2009
Messages
1,847
Have a read through the Scotrail trainee drivers thread, it will tell you everything about the role and what's involved. Like other have said simulators mean nothing. Even the actual simulator we train on is a million miles from reality. You'll need to grasp and demonstrate a total dedication to safety - it's all that matters. How would you deal with this? Or that? type of question. How do you prioritise safety in your current job. It's all a out your mindset and how you would deal with a situation. What about working alone for hours on end. You might hardly speak to anyone all day. It's a great job but not for everyone. It's a job you have to "want" to do and understand the role. People who see the money and think "anyone could do that" are rarely successful.
 

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,828
Location
Back office
Hello all!

This is my first post on here as I've been thinking where is best to have a chat about it, this forum seemed about right.

So basically as of right now I'm a semi-successful freelancer in photography and video production but this wasn't a career I always had envisioned from a young age.

Originally as i was growing up i was obsessed with the idea of working in the railways but then i took some media classes in highschool and the idea of working in the railways was put on the back burner. I'm at a point now that i'd have to essentially give up the years I've put into my freelance work if was to investigate working in the railways which i'm not sure I want to do as of yet.

Part of me would love to have a ride along/work shadow a shift as ultimately I wanted to work as a driver. I play simulations often and know my way about most cabs from the likes of a 156/158, Turbostars, HSTs, Pendolino and many others. Failing that as I know security is extremely strict, even just a walk about a depot/sitting in a cab or actual real life simulator would be great just to get an idea as to what it'd be like. I'm probably sounding like an enthusiast more than someone that wants to seriously look at it as a career but this isn't the case. I attended a few career open day conventions and back then LNER and a few other companies were present and we had a great chat albeit that was other 10 years or so ago and things have changed for me.

I dont know if its worth mentioning but my family did have a history of working in the railways with my grandad working right from the wartime steam period to diesel and breifly into electric before retiring. Sadly he passed away before i was born so i never really got to chat to him about working in the railways and I've never really had the opportunity to have a real chat about the prospect of working in the railways.


Anyways, if you've made it this far, thanks for taking the time to read what i've had to say and if anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to get back to me.


Thanks,
Ben

If you get as far as applying for a trainee driver role, don't mention anything about train simulators, cab rides or being an enthusiast.
 

Economist

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2013
Messages
558
As a freelancer, can the OP retain work contacts for a year or so on the understanding that the OP may be available for future work? I don't know how quickly things move in that regard in the photography/video industry. It would be nearly impossible to keep working in photography during training due to time constraints and energy (the shifts can take a while to get used to).

One thing to consider is that people who fail during training for reasons other than attitude/attendance are often offered redeployment options to the platform grade or similar. So, whilst it can be a jump into the unknown, there is a safety net of course.
 

Ben Glasgow

Member
Joined
18 Jul 2018
Messages
45
Location
Edinburgh
Have a read through the Scotrail trainee drivers thread, it will tell you everything about the role and what's involved. Like other have said simulators mean nothing. Even the actual simulator we train on is a million miles from reality. You'll need to grasp and demonstrate a total dedication to safety - it's all that matters. How would you deal with this? Or that? type of question. How do you prioritise safety in your current job. It's all a out your mindset and how you would deal with a situation. What about working alone for hours on end. You might hardly speak to anyone all day. It's a great job but not for everyone. It's a job you have to "want" to do and understand the role. People who see the money and think "anyone could do that" are rarely successful.

If you get as far as applying for a trainee driver role, don't mention anything about train simulators, cab rides or being an enthusiast.


Definitely understand now why it’s wise not to mention simulators at all even if it’s innocent banter/chat.

Again, I fully understand there is more to the role and would realise that understanding the mechanics, dealing of situations and stress and loneliness are all factors that come with the job. I’ve also taken into account that should I fail a driver application, I can always look at different positions which as you say can be a good safety net.
 

Ben Glasgow

Member
Joined
18 Jul 2018
Messages
45
Location
Edinburgh
As a freelancer, can the OP retain work contacts for a year or so on the understanding that the OP may be available for future work? I don't know how quickly things move in that regard in the photography/video industry. It would be nearly impossible to keep working in photography during training due to time constraints and energy (the shifts can take a while to get used to).

One thing to consider is that people who fail during training for reasons other than attitude/attendance are often offered redeployment options to the platform grade or similar. So, whilst it can be a jump into the unknown, there is a safety net of course.


Yeah I mean, I’d retain some contacts I reckon IF I did look for a career in the railways but I’d imagine should I be successful in an application, I’d probably be as well selling most of it off bar a few of the essential bits of kit just incase.

I reckon all that would be decided though depending how things went.
 

Johncleesefan

Member
Joined
4 Sep 2013
Messages
729
Hello, it’s never to late to apply. Life is too short for what ifs.... you should apply for a trainee vacancy when one actually presents itself and give 100 percent into bagging the job.
I’ve been a driver a few years now (how time flies) and honestly, I wouldn’t change it for the world. Everyone has the moans and quibbles but I never hear drivers applying for other jobs (unless other tocs to drive for) the job does not allow for mistakes and that is why the pay is the way it is.

As one of my instructors said “you are paid for the 95 percent of the things you will use 5 percent of the time” (something like that) basically the fundamental driving is the easy bit. It’s the knowledge you must retain you earn your crust for.
 

beavercreek

Member
Joined
18 Nov 2011
Messages
187
A really good effort, now everyone is laughing on another forum so come on it’s home time
 

Ben Glasgow

Member
Joined
18 Jul 2018
Messages
45
Location
Edinburgh
Hello, it’s never to late to apply. Life is too short for what ifs.... you should apply for a trainee vacancy when one actually presents itself and give 100 percent into bagging the job.
I’ve been a driver a few years now (how time flies) and honestly, I wouldn’t change it for the world. Everyone has the moans and quibbles but I never hear drivers applying for other jobs (unless other tocs to drive for) the job does not allow for mistakes and that is why the pay is the way it is.

As one of my instructors said “you are paid for the 95 percent of the things you will use 5 percent of the time” (something like that) basically the fundamental driving is the easy bit. It’s the knowledge you must retain you earn your crust for.


Good advice. I really appreciate the responses as it’s maybe put a new (but positive and insightful) light and perspective on things. Part of me wishes I’d have at least stuck it out after high school and at least applied but I ended up putting myself through college doing a audio/visual tech course which ultimately led me to going freelance as I ended up getting some crazy opportunities, still do when it comes to covering some events.

Without sounding like a broken record, thanks again guys for weighing in on what I should do or at least think about. This is really what I needed to be honest.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top