Hello. I was curious when exactly did electrical lamps on semaphores become common on british railways. After asking this question to an AI I didn't really get a response, I've only been told that it was 'around early to mid 20th century' and that 'old semaphores usually kept their oil lamps'. This answer doesn't quite satisfy me. In fact from my personal observations many mid-20th century stations still had oil lamps (based on the fact that many of the signal boxes had the lamp in/out indicators). Also the AI told me that some newer electric lamps used a lower voltage (?) or something like that in order to achieve the old green aspect (this happened because of blue lenses & the burning paraffin's color). But I haven't confirmed this yet and AI sometimes makes things up. Perhaps you could share your observations, I'm sure there will be even some stations that haven't changed to electrical lamps for a long time.
Some photos
Famous Exeter West Signal Box
Normal picture of an upper quadrant semaphore
Signal gantry, most of the signals are of old GWR design
Some photos


