• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Seen any famous people on trains recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gingerheid

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2006
Messages
1,726
Part of the cast of the Rocky Horror stage show, if they count as famous. I have no idea what this is, but apparently I should have been very impressed...
 

Mintona

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2006
Messages
3,592
Location
South West
I have watched all of the following get on trains:

Manchester United football team + Sir Alex and some other helper sort of people.
Separate occasion: Ole Gunnar Solksjaer, David Gill and Sir Bobby Charlton
Kerry Katona + Mark Croft
Gabriela Irimia (one half of the Cheeky Girls. Interestingly, she had an Alderley Edge - Rye ticket so I may have seen her on the same day as the chap above!)

Apparently on my train the other day was the guy who presents Location Location Location, Phil Spencer or something? I didn't recognise him though :oops:
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,432
Location
Yorks
I worked with a guy who used to work on the dining cars on the Eastern Region who served Harold Wilson a couple of times.

He was also a chef on the Royal Train at one time so he's also met most of the Royals !
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
Frankie Boyle was on FSR service to Aberdeen (changed at perth with for Inverness, got lost in the station as well!)

I bumped into him in Costa Coffee in Central Station. I didn't realise it was him, though, until later. He'd grown his beard, so I knew I knew him from somewhere but couldn't put my finger on it. It wasn't until Mock The Week came back on that I realised who he was.

I also saw Annabel Goldie at Queen Street a few weeks back. (She's the Scottish Tory leader for those who don't know). She's actually extremely small, which may explain why the TV cameras zoom in on her face a lot.
 

Ilove165's

Member
Joined
23 May 2007
Messages
568
Location
Ruislip
Not on a train as such, but me and a friend bumped into a grumpy looking Tim Shoveller at St. Pancras back in August. We didn't realise until my mate said 'bloody hell, that was Tim Shoveller!'
 

O L Leigh

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2006
Messages
5,609
Location
In the cab with the paper
Not seen anyone famous recently, but I have seen a few.

Helen Mirren at Liv St getting off the StanEx.
David Suchet (actor who played Poirot on the telly) on my train from Stansted.
Peter Purves in the 1st Class lounge at Liv St.
Sir Richard Branston (he of the pickles) on one of our trains heading off to the airport.
James May when he was filming his Toy Stories series at Liv St.

I dare say there have been others, but I'm not very up on celebrities.

O L Leigh
 
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
79
Location
Exeter, Devon
I once had a nice conversation with Pete Waterman whilst stood on the platform at Dawlish Warren; The Dawlish Donkey was running at the time between Exeter and Newton Abbot, I think if I remember rightly it was 1450, (GWR 0-4-2T ).
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,658
Location
Hampshire
Not on a train as such, but me and a friend bumped into a grumpy looking Tim Shoveller at St. Pancras back in August. We didn't realise until my mate said 'bloody hell, that was Tim Shoveller!'

Ive seen that idiot richard bowker swan around Kings Cross shortly after NX took the east coast...he never actually spoke to anyone...just swanned around the place...was pretty thankfull that i didnt have to wait long for me FCC service...

Seconded! :)


Would have said the same until Humbug came out...Love Crying Lightning and my Propeller the most...
 

43106

Member
Joined
6 Jul 2008
Messages
384
Location
South-ish Edinburgh
I was waiting at Euston for the sleeper service to Edinburgh a week before Christmas, 1991. Standing next to me was Charles Kennedy (who was just an ordinary MP then), who was waiting for the Inverness Sleeper. I was delayed getting on my train, as Malcolm Rifkind (who, I think, was Minister of Defence, at the time) was whisked onto the train ahead of us proles. I got my own back - he was standing for the Tories in my constituency in the 2001 General Election. At the Polling Station, he tried to have a final word with me, and I just breezed past as if he wasn't there and voted Labour!
 

ungreat

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2006
Messages
964
Rory McGrath was a regular at Cambridge,and a nice bloke to chat to as well.

Seen the Queen one or two times(worked the Royal Train twice when on the MML)

Had Martin Clunes on a train once

Flaming Cheeky Girls at Peterborough,and Tony Blair there as well

Quite a few others that escape me right now
 

Hager98

Member
Joined
27 Sep 2009
Messages
53
I was waiting at Euston for the sleeper service to Edinburgh a week before Christmas, 1991. Standing next to me was Charles Kennedy (who was just an ordinary MP then), who was waiting for the Inverness Sleeper. I was delayed getting on my train, as Malcolm Rifkind (who, I think, was Minister of Defence, at the time) was whisked onto the train ahead of us proles. I got my own back - he was standing for the Tories in my constituency in the 2001 General Election. At the Polling Station, he tried to have a final word with me, and I just breezed past as if he wasn't there and voted Labour!


:D Funny, though be careful in case he planning his revenge.
 

AlexS

Established Member
Joined
7 Jun 2005
Messages
2,886
Location
Just outside the Black Country
Yes, they did, I was the guard, we had D1705 and a rake of coaches, and they played on a pipe wagon at Loughborough Central. I thought they were a bit rubbish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0tOzFZtUP4


Not quite, it was The Enemy and yes they were a bit rubbish.

I had the joys of a free show I didn't really appreciate that much as one of the station staff.

Pete Waterman seems to follow me around.

Seen the bloke from Catchphrase on a London bound Pendo also.

Have also seen Yorkie many times rofl.
 

Oswyntail

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
4,183
Location
Yorkshire
Travelled next to Keith Allen from KGX to Leeds a while back - he was wearing a bright pink Afghan Coat (remember those from the 70s - not pink - used to smell like a camel when wet). Thoroughly charming
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,194
Location
0035
I saw Raef off The Apprentice series 4 getting on an XC HST heading North at Birmingham New Street earlier in the year. He was in Standard class!
 

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
1,432
Location
South Liverpool
I saw Raef off The Apprentice series 4 getting on an XC HST heading North at Birmingham New Street earlier in the year. He was in Standard class!

He was awesome

I've seen the Queen getting on her train, but not been on it with her I'm afraid
 

Pumbaa

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
5,022
- Sat opposite and ate Breakfast with Pete Waterman on a Pendo to Brum earlier this year.

- Sat opposite Michelle MacManus from PopIdol on a Pendo going south from Glasgow a few years back. Miserable cow, refused to converse.
 

the sniper

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2007
Messages
3,498
I think* I saw comedian Andy Hamilton (often a guest on QI) on the northbound platform at Birmingham Moor Street while on work experience with Chiltern Railways in October 2008. I assume he must have been heading for somewhere in North Worcestershire like Kidderminster.

*It may have actually been another guest from QI, but my memory of seeing the person is very vague (I obviously wasn't star struck by the encounter :p ). I remember the guy had a distinctive look and I recognised him from QI, I think it was Andy Hamilton, I think... :lol:
 

attics26

Member
Joined
9 Jun 2009
Messages
193
Chris Tarrant has joined 1A45 1810 Newcastle - Kings Cross (Advance 1st) tonight.
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,658
Location
Hampshire
Not quite, it was The Enemy and yes they were a bit rubbish.

I had the joys of a free show I didn't really appreciate that much as one of the station staff.

Oh...The Enemy...Got there first album but never really been that keen on them...

Though i do like the advert for there 1st album We'll Live And Die In These Towns...

Remember these...i do...
 

Attachments

  • 5xrt75u.jpg
    5xrt75u.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 6

Kat_Bath

New Member
Joined
13 Nov 2009
Messages
3
Location
Bath
Christopher Biggins got my train from Bath a couple of months ago.

And I saw James May doing his toy thing when I was getting on a train at Barnstaple in August...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top