Fen Enthusiast
Member
I can recall a conversation I had with a group of other rail enthusiasts a couple of years back about the braking performance of Hitachi IETs and Flirts. Basically, it was about 755’s which I had recently used commuting home from work frequently slipping when breaking in poor adhesion conditions and feeling like being in an earthquake and about IETs struggling to stop or possibly even overshooting platforms in poor adhesion conditions. I can definitely recall the mention of that "they can't scrub their breaks". If someone could explain that to me as I don’t know what "scrubbing breaks" is I'd be grateful. Anyway, thinking back to that conversation, it occurred to me that Flirts and IETs are the only new trains I know of that struggle or seemingly struggle with breaking in low adhesion rail conditions. Living in East Anglia, I've often travelled on ElectroStars, TurboStars, Sprinters, class 755 Flirts and the recently retired class 317’s, but asides from the infrequent instances of it happening on ElectroStars, I can never really recall instances of other classes having trouble with wheel slip whilst breaking in low rail adhesion conditions. Is it a more newer train problem with poor breaking performance during poor rail adhesion conditions or is it more of a "break scrubbing" issues or other things resulting in this? I'd be very grateful for some more light to be shed on this thanks.