• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Seeking your advice and assistance regarding MG11.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eason710709

New Member
Joined
12 Mar 2026
Messages
4
Location
DARTFORD
Hello everyone,

First, thank you in advance for your help and advice.

I am seeking some help or advice today because I received an MG11 Statement receipt.
A SE group of rail staff was checking tickets, and I was stopped and checked. I used the monthly short tickets (Dartford to Slade Green) to Abbey Wood.

I was interviewed by the inspector and admitted to my mistake.
I didn't check properly when I bought the monthly online ticket in February 2025. It has been over 1 year.
I am ashamed that I haven't checked correctly while regularly purchasing my monthly tickets online for over a year due to automatic payment.

I told the inspector I would like to make amends by paying the fine and covering the costs.
Additionally, I corrected my mistake after returning to Dartford station by buying a cover seasonal ticket for future travel and purchasing the correct monthly ticket for next month.
This was my first offence, and I am determined it will be the last.

I often travel to London and sometimes buy a ticket only for part of my journey; this is often to save money or because I use my bank card and SE smart card on separate journeys to make things cheaper.

I am now very worried about being taken to court and would like to settle this outside court, move on, and buy a season ticket to prevent this from happening again.
I probably won't receive the letter for a couple of weeks, but I am anxious until then.
Any advice, please?

Appreciate your advice and help in advance.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
Southeastern doesn't offer season tickets by automatic payment. So you must have intentionally renewed a short ticket.

How did you get through the ticket gates at Abbey Wood without a ticket? Or did you continue by Elizabeth line?

Southeastern will be wanting payment for all of the fares you've skipped, so get saving up.
 

eason710709

New Member
Joined
12 Mar 2026
Messages
4
Location
DARTFORD
Southeastern doesn't offer season tickets by automatic payment. So you must have intentionally renewed a short ticket.

How did you get through the ticket gates at Abbey Wood without a ticket? Or did you continue by Elizabeth line?

Southeastern will be wanting payment for all of the fares you've skipped, so get saving up.
Thank you, island.

It appears that the website payment via my Apple Pay was automatically used as a one-click payment. Yes, I apologise for not noticing earlier. Super shameless.

I used my bank card to continue on the Elizabeth line.

I understand Southeastern may require payment for the fares I missed. Could you please advise me on the next steps? Will I receive a letter? Also, could you kindly explain how they determine the fare?

Thank you very much for your assistance.
 

Trainman40083

Established Member
Joined
29 Jan 2024
Messages
4,647
Location
Derby
Thank you, island.

It appears that the website payment via my Apple Pay was automatically used as a one-click payment. Yes, I apologise for not noticing earlier. Super shameless.

I used my bank card to continue on the Elizabeth line.

I understand Southeastern may require payment for the fares I missed. Could you please advise me on the next steps? Will I receive a letter? Also, could you kindly explain how they determine the fare?

Thank you very much for your assistance.
You should receive a letter, assuming they have the correct address for you. The fare is normally determined by the full single fare (doubled for a return) plus an administration fee of around £150.
 

eason710709

New Member
Joined
12 Mar 2026
Messages
4
Location
DARTFORD
You should receive a letter, assuming they have the correct address for you. The fare is normally determined by the full single fare (doubled for a return) plus an administration fee of around £150.
Thank you very much for your responses, Trainman40083.

I confirm that they have the correct address for me. I am really providing my information. Do you think I should send them an email before I receive the letter, as I have already admitted that this was my mistake? I want to settle the fine and the compensation fee.

Do you think that paying the compensation fee will still leave a record?

As I mentioned, I am very sorry for this mistake and would never repeat it. Can I still use my smart card for travel?

Will it affect my career history? And would you happen to know if they will contact my company?

Sorry for the questions, I am so nervous. What is the next?
 

Trainman40083

Established Member
Joined
29 Jan 2024
Messages
4,647
Location
Derby
Thank you very much for your responses, Trainman40083.

I confirm that they have the correct address for me. I am really providing my information. Do you think I should send them an email before I receive the letter, as I have already admitted that this was my mistake? I want to settle the fine and the compensation fee.

Do you think that paying the compensation fee will still leave a record?

As I mentioned, I am very sorry for this mistake and would never repeat it. Can I still use my smart card for travel?

Will it affect my career history? And would you happen to know if they will contact my company?

Sorry for the questions, I am so nervous. What is the next?
Never contact them before you get a letter. You may incriminate yourself, even admit something they had not spotted. I don't think you'll end up with a record, or affect your career history of that they will contact your company. Wait for the letter. You are lucky you weren't caught on TfL.
 

z444z

Established Member
Joined
17 Apr 2022
Messages
1,219
Location
London
I confirm that they have the correct address for me. I am really providing my information. Do you think I should send them an email before I receive the letter, as I have already admitted that this was my mistake? I want to settle the fine and the compensation fee.
No, do not contact them, wait for them to contact you. This could be weeks or as long as 6 months. Just to clarify, what you want is an out-of-court settlement, not a fine. A fine is issued by a court and that’s precisely what you want to avoid.
Do you think that paying the compensation fee will still leave a record?
Southeastern will have the case in their records and will know about this case if you’re caught again in future. Other than that, no.
Will it affect my career history? And would you happen to know if they will contact my company?
No - even if you’re prosecuted and convicted your employer wouldn’t be contacted unless the fine is unpaid and it starts being taken from your pay - but if you are prosecuted/convicted you may have an obligation to inform your employer, you’d need to check your contract. However prosecution can very likely be avoided with our help.

You just need to wait to be contacted. Come back here when that happens, and if it doesn’t, come back in around 6 months so we can help you figure out why that might be.
 

eason710709

New Member
Joined
12 Mar 2026
Messages
4
Location
DARTFORD
Never contact them before you get a letter. You may incriminate yourself, even admit something they had not spotted. I don't think you'll end up with a record, or affect your career history of that they will contact your company. Wait for the letter. You are lucky you weren't caught on TfL.
Thank you very much for your responses. I will wait for the letter.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

No, do not contact them, wait for them to contact you. This could be weeks or as long as 6 months. Just to clarify, what you want is an out-of-court settlement, not a fine. A fine is issued by a court and that’s precisely what you want to avoid.

Southeastern will have the case in their records and will know about this case if you’re caught again in future. Other than that, no.

No - even if you’re prosecuted and convicted your employer wouldn’t be contacted unless the fine is unpaid and it starts being taken from your pay - but if you are prosecuted/convicted you may have an obligation to inform your employer, you’d need to check your contract. However prosecution can very likely be avoided with our help.

You just need to wait to be contacted. Come back here when that happens, and if it doesn’t, come back in around 6 months so we can help you figure out why that might be.
Thank you for your detailed responses. I will wait for the letter.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top