• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Seeking advice, looking for jobs preferably with EMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jatos

Member
Joined
5 Oct 2012
Messages
108
Ok, I applied for a few trains jobs in the last 6 months. Two of which didn't get taken to assessment, those been Virgin and CC posts.

However a few months back, I did attend an assessment for pt/ Travel Advisor with EMT at Chesterfield/Sheffield and recently attended an interview for one of the famous 'Trainee Senior Conductor' posts with yes, you guessed, LM....

With the LM job, sent a thankyou email afterwards, got a no thankyou reply the next working day. In hindsite, I really did not manage a good interview at all!

Well anyway, with EMT, not quite sure why I was not taken on but I do not feel my interview was a complete failure, I hope I have not misjudged this.

Now I looked on their careers website, no posts besides qualified drivers up at the moment, well I am not a qualified driver so obviously cannot apply for that. However they have updated their website indicating they'd take speculative applications.

Well, I think I going to try and have another go at getting a post with them, and I am just trying to work how I could maximise my chances of obtaining a post with them. In any case, I am literally 10 minutes from Derby on my bike, so not too far away, and would be dropping of my speculative application by hand at their academy.

Any advice or suggestions anyone could offer, I would really like quite like a post working the trains and would be willing to make quite a bit of effort to be successful.

In particular, I am considering suggesting some trial work or something to that effect to see if it helps, how would this be likely to go down? I have also got a set of psychometric passes, Ticket selling/checking, GB and aptitude.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,827
Location
Back office
Your best chances of getting in with EMT is learning which buzzwords you need to use for the competency based questions. Your enthusiasm and experience will help you as far as reaching the interview stage - from that point onwards, they judge you on your ability to remain on topic.
 

Jatos

Member
Joined
5 Oct 2012
Messages
108
Your best chances of getting in with EMT is learning which buzzwords you need to use for the competency based questions. Your enthusiasm and experience will help you as far as reaching the interview stage - from that point onwards, they judge you on your ability to remain on topic.

Its the famous exploiter of loopholes to ze rescue!

What's the best way to go about learning the buzzwords?

Your advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jamie :)
 

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,827
Location
Back office
Ask them. If they provide feedback on the interview, there are ways of extracting the information on how the scoring is done.

I'm not a recruitment or psychology expert or anything, but it's a system that's open to abuse by those who are able to cotton onto the game and tell the interviews exactly what they know they want to hear.
 

Jatos

Member
Joined
5 Oct 2012
Messages
108
Ask them. If they provide feedback on the interview, there are ways of extracting the information on how the scoring is done.

I'm not a recruitment or psychology expert or anything, but it's a system that's open to abuse by those who are able to cotton onto the game and tell the interviews exactly what they know they want to hear.

I did request feedback, the guy who I contacted basically said he'd have to speak to the managers as he did not do the scoring, didn't hear back with any feedback :(

 
Last edited:

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,827
Location
Back office
I did request feedback, the guy who I contacted basically said he'd have to speak to the managers as he did not do the scoring, didn't hear back with any feedback :(


Try the recruitment department - they may be able to put you through to the relevant people.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top