• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Security incident westbury 12/09/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,010
Location
London
Seen on gwr twitter
Wondering if anyone knows anymore on this, not something I’ve seen before

Probably a suspicious package left on the platform(s) and/or station building which is awaiting police attendance to give an all clear.
 

Stigy

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2009
Messages
4,969
It was an unattended suitcase apparently. Must have fallen foul of the HOT protocol quite significantly, as Westbury isn’t ordinarily somewhere that jumps out as a terrorist risk (relatively low footfall/traffic compared to large hubs).
 

mpthomson

Established Member
Joined
18 Feb 2016
Messages
1,383
It was an unattended suitcase apparently. Must have fallen foul of the HOT protocol quite significantly, as Westbury isn’t ordinarily somewhere that jumps out as a terrorist risk (relatively low footfall/traffic compared to large hubs).
The Army Officer Selection Board is based in Westbury and a good number of candididates still come by train (I spent 5 years as an assessing board member).
 

Deepgreen

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
7,481
Location
Gomshall, Surrey
The Army Officer Selection Board is based in Westbury and a good number of candididates still come by train (I spent 5 years as an assessing board member).
If it was a prospective Army Officer (and I have no idea, I'm only latching onto your comment), it doesn't say much for their security awareness!
 

Stigy

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2009
Messages
4,969
If it was a prospective Army Officer (and I have no idea, I'm only latching onto your comment), it doesn't say much for their security awareness!
I assume they are referring more to the security risk posts with having Army links at Westbury (which if not considered when I first posted).
 

mpthomson

Established Member
Joined
18 Feb 2016
Messages
1,383
If it was a prospective Army Officer (and I have no idea, I'm only latching onto your comment), it doesn't say much for their security awareness!
As Stigy states it's more about the security risks towards potential army officers. Recruiting offices etc have been a target for terrorism previously.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top