• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Security Checks Hand Baggage Mandatory at UK Airports ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
I only ask as flying from Tiree to Glasgow this Afternoon there were none.

No X-Rays , No scanners to walk through - a refreshing change which seems common in the smaller HIAL Airports from my experience.

The inference is that it is not mandatory for inter UK travel ?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

joncombe

Member
Joined
6 Nov 2016
Messages
869
I can remember at Alderney that was the case indeed you could sit outside on a bench in the sun until called for boarding. That was about 10 years ago, not sure if it's still like that but I suspect so.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
I can remember at Alderney that was the case indeed you could sit outside on a bench in the sun until called for boarding. That was about 10 years ago, not sure if it's still like that but I suspect so.

Same in Tiree - I was smoking till minutes before boarding (outside)
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,743
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I only ask as flying from Tiree to Glasgow this Afternoon there were none.

No X-Rays , No scanners to walk through - a refreshing change which seems common in the smaller HIAL Airports from my experience.

The inference is that it is not mandatory for inter UK travel ?

If you arrive at a UK airport* on a UK domestic flight you indeed don't need by law to pass security again before departing, though depending on the layout of the airport sometimes it happens anyway.

Or if you mean you didn't have any at all, I half recall it's not mandatory for aircraft below a certain size?

* Some other countries e.g. Switzerland also trust the UK, but the UK doesn't trust any other country.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
If you arrive at a UK airport* on a UK domestic flight you indeed don't need by law to pass security again before departing, though depending on the layout of the airport sometimes it happens anyway.

Or if you mean you didn't have any at all, I half recall it's not mandatory for aircraft below a certain size?

* Some other countries e.g. Switzerland also trust the UK, but the UK doesn't trust any other country.

I think hold bags may go through a machine although I didn't witness this and there were bags in the hold.

With hand luggage only there is no security you just walk straight onto the plane with bags and person unmolested.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,743
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I think hold bags may go through a machine although I didn't witness this and there were bags in the hold.

With hand luggage only there is no security you just walk straight onto the plane with bags and person unmolested.

Unsurprisingly I can't find this written down but I'm almost certain it's not required for smaller aircraft. Certainly I never went through any when I did a trial flying lesson. I half recall the threshold being somewhere around 20 seats.
 

crablab

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2020
Messages
1,299
Location
UK
Certainly I never went through any when I did a trial flying lesson.
A flying school doesn't have an AOC and nor do instructors require a CPL nowadays - it's an entirely different regulatory regime.

I am chortling at the idea of an x-ray at Fenland though ;) Most airfields you're lucky that there's a hut with a cup of tea! Bonus if there's someone around to do the radio.
 

Cloud Strife

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2014
Messages
2,964
No X-Rays , No scanners to walk through - a refreshing change which seems common in the smaller HIAL Airports from my experience.

It's the CAA rule that small passenger aircraft don't require full security checks. I don't know exactly what the rule says, but it's probably up to 19 passengers, which would cover the Twin Otter used from Tiree.

If you arrive at a UK airport* on a UK domestic flight you indeed don't need by law to pass security again before departing, though depending on the layout of the airport sometimes it happens anyway.

Interesting, I didn't know that it was mandatory to go through security again if you transit through the UK, thank you for that! I suppose with the huge amount of transit through airports like Heathrow, it's easier just to funnel everyone through security than to separate them in some way.

* Some other countries e.g. Switzerland also trust the UK, but the UK doesn't trust any other country.

Off topic, but I had an interesting experience once in Zurich Airport when staying in the Transit Lounge hotel. It was 9pm, everything had shut down in the airport and I was exploring the non-Schengen area. The whole area was deserted, and somehow I ended up having to go through security although I hadn't actually left the airside area. They were quite confused why I showed up with nothing but a t-shirt, a pair of shorts, a phone and my room key!
 

westv

Established Member
Joined
29 Mar 2013
Messages
4,411
Oh for a world where there was no need for airport security checks and you could arrive within an hour of departure. I can but dream.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,743
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Oh for a world where there was no need for airport security checks and you could arrive within an hour of departure. I can but dream.

You can arrive an hour before departure at most airports if checked in online and only carrying hand baggage. Manchester is the only one I can think of where that might be dicey.
 

westv

Established Member
Joined
29 Mar 2013
Messages
4,411
You can arrive an hour before departure at most airports if checked in online and only carrying hand baggage. Manchester is the only one I can think of where that might be dicey.
i have never been able to get 2x packing for 1 or 2 weeks in handluggage
 

Elwyn

Member
Joined
5 May 2014
Messages
568
Location
Co. Antrim, Ireland
There are no security checks on the inter island flights in Orkney & Shetland, nor for Oban to Coll and Colonsay. These are 8 seater aircraft (Islanders usually) and I assume the powers that be know that the risk is low and that if every passenger had to pay a passenger tax for what is sometimes a 10 minute flight, the routes would simply not be viable.
 

Cloud Strife

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2014
Messages
2,964
Oh for a world where there was no need for airport security checks and you could arrive within an hour of departure. I can but dream.

Even a return to the pre-2001 situation would be nice, to be honest. I remember it well, as security in places like Luton was nothing more than a small room with a scanner and a very basic metal detector.

But it's still possible in many smaller regional airports. Wrocław for instance is no problem if you've got fast track booked, even with a well packed piece of hand luggage and with a non-Schengen flight. Even Luton can be quite fine if you've got an evening flight, and I've had situations there where I've been through security in less than 2 minutes.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,743
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I've gone through Luton outbound over 100 times and can only recall one long delay, which was caused by a motorway and railway blockage clearing at the same time causing a huge backlog of people to arrive at once. It has a bad press that really isn't justified.

If you wanted to criticise Luton, the inadequate inbound passport control and thus massive queues is what I'd criticise.

Manchester on the other hand...
 
Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
You can arrive an hour before departure at most airports if checked in online and only carrying hand baggage. Manchester is the only one I can think of where that might be dicey.
Even at Heathrow Terminal 5 for BA flights you can check in or bag drop 45 min before for short haul or 60 min before for long haul. Whilst I’d never risk arriving this close, I’ve never seen long queues in recent years at Terminal 5, and I travel almost exclusively during school holidays or on Friday evenings.

If you’ve checked in online and only have cabin bags then you can pass through the gates to security any time up to 35 min prior to departure.
 

mpthomson

Established Member
Joined
18 Feb 2016
Messages
1,383
Even at Heathrow Terminal 5 for BA flights you can check in or bag drop 45 min before for short haul or 60 min before for long haul. Whilst I’d never risk arriving this close, I’ve never seen long queues in recent years at Terminal 5, and I travel almost exclusively during school holidays or on Friday evenings.

If you’ve checked in online and only have cabin bags then you can pass through the gates to security any time up to 35 min prior to departure.
Terminal 2 for long haul is pretty good too.
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
I only ask as flying from Tiree to Glasgow this Afternoon there were none.

No X-Rays , No scanners to walk through - a refreshing change which seems common in the smaller HIAL Airports from my experience.

The inference is that it is not mandatory for inter UK travel ?

It’s a bit complicated. Security checks were removed at Barra, Tiree and Campbeltown in 2017, primarily to drive down cost. See here; https://www.independent.co.uk/trave...scotland-s-beach-airport-to-end-a7539086.html. All these airports are served by the Loganair twin otters which are exempt as they have less than 20 seats. You do go through security when boarding the twin otter flights in Glasgow though, unlike Kirkwall where they have security controlled area for the Scottish mainland flights and an area without security for Orkney flights. They could do that in Glasgow if they really wanted, but assume it’s not worth the cost and/or Glasgow would prefer to screen all flights departing their airport.

The only downside to the arrangement at the above airports is that you can’t connect to other UK flights in Glasgow without going through security and rechecking any hold bags. I know the HIAL airports served by the larger ATRs, Saabs and Embraers need to have security so that’s why it exists at Islay, Benbecula and Stornoway. Not sure about Oban or the other airports in the west as never been,

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I've gone through Luton outbound over 100 times and can only recall one long delay, which was caused by a motorway and railway blockage clearing at the same time causing a huge backlog of people to arrive at once. It has a bad press that really isn't justified.

If you wanted to criticise Luton, the inadequate inbound passport control and thus massive queues is what I'd criticise.

Manchester on the other hand...

I have flown through most UK airports up and down the country and apart from last year‘s post COVID rush always found the security process to be generally OK. Certainly quicker and more friendly than the USA. The only exception is/was of course Manchester which used to be my local airport and I would genuinely dread going through there (usually the “lovely” T3) as they seemed to go out of their way to make the process as unpleasant as possible.
 
Last edited:

Cloud Strife

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2014
Messages
2,964
I've gone through Luton outbound over 100 times and can only recall one long delay, which was caused by a motorway and railway blockage clearing at the same time causing a huge backlog of people to arrive at once. It has a bad press that really isn't justified.

Yes, I've even departed from Luton on a busy midday summer flight and only waited around 15 minutes to get through security, which was fine. The biggest issue at Luton right now is Wizzair's complete failure to actually employ enough people on the ground to handle their flights, causing ridiculous delays for baggage to be delivered to the belts. But that's not the airport's fault, but the airline.

Even Stansted in the morning seems pretty much fine these days, especially since they started opening up security between 2-3am. I remember the days of the mad rush at 4am, but last time I was through, they opened security just after 2am, meaning all the people staying overnight in the terminal were through before people started arriving for the first flights.

They could do that in Glasgow if they really wanted, but assume it’s not worth the cost and/or Glasgow would prefer to screen all flights departing their airport.

Probably also that they want people shopping airside, and if they didn't clear security, they'd have to be kept separated from other passengers.
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,938
Location
Mold, Clwyd
Manchester on the other hand...
T2 was a breeze last time I used it (Jet2), apart from the route-march to/from the long pier.
It also has a nicer multi-storey car park.
But the plan is to close T1 and move its flights to T2 (when more piers have been added).
 

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,507
Location
Cheshire
T2 was a breeze last time I used it (Jet2), apart from the route-march to/from the long pier.
It also has a nicer multi-storey car park.
But the plan is to close T1 and move its flights to T2 (when more piers have been added).
I'm going through T2 next week, would you mind telling me what time you went through. My flight is at 07:45 next Wednesday so it'll be interesting to know what it might be like!
 

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2018
Messages
4,173
I'm going through T2 next week, would you mind telling me what time you went through. My flight is at 07:45 next Wednesday so it'll be interesting to know what it might be like!
Can't comment on T2, but T3 was pretty smooth (shockingly) a week and a bit back, through in 10 mins. I still left 2hrs for check in and security, but overall OK.
 

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,507
Location
Cheshire
Can't comment on T2, but T3 was pretty smooth (shockingly) a week and a bit back, through in 10 mins. I still left 2hrs for check in and security, but overall OK.
So going through T2 for my flight wasn't too bad, I'd say a few hundred people in front of me at security. But with lots of shouting & reminding people of what needed to go into the trays we got through inside of 20 mins.
 

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2018
Messages
4,173
So going through T2 for my flight wasn't too bad, I'd say a few hundred people in front of me at security. But with lots of shouting & reminding people of what needed to go into the trays we got through inside of 20 mins.
Ah so not too bad. They're learning something, finally lol!
 

rf_ioliver

Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
1,028
Oh for a world where there was no need for airport security checks and you could arrive within an hour of departure. I can but dream.
It used to be that at Helsinki you could turn up 30 minutes before your flight, check-in (at a desk) and be through security with time to spare.

However these days, Helsinki Airport has rows upon rows of the most advanced scanners but too little staff so the queues can be very long; and the "en****tification" of Finnair's services means that checking in bags is an ordeal (and don't even try getting around their cabin baggage restrictions, it gets expensive)

Go read Bruce Schneier's excellent blog which has a lot of his (Famous Cyber-Security Guru) analysis of airport security (and how much theater there is versus any real security) and Cory Doctorow's term "en****tification" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/En****tification)
 

pitdiver

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2012
Messages
1,290
Location
Warsop Vale
I've gone through Luton outbound over 100 times and can only recall one long delay, which was caused by a motorway and railway blockage clearing at the same time causing a huge backlog of people to arrive at once. It has a bad press that really isn't justified.

If you wanted to criticise Luton, the inadequate inbound passport control and thus massive queues is what I'd criticise.

Manchester on the other hand...
Came back through Luton a week or so ago. I thoroughly agree with you and this particular incident our arrival time was 0100 approx. However we had to wait on the aircraft for about 30 mins for steps and another 30 mins approx for an ambi lift for my wife.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Came back through Luton a week or so ago. I thoroughly agree with you and this particular incident our arrival time was 0100 approx. However we had to wait on the aircraft for about 30 mins for steps and another 30 mins approx for an ambi lift for my wife.

Was there anyone on Customs when you arrived in the Terminal ?
 

Howardh

Established Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
9,796
Manchester security; I dread T1, only used T2 once recently and wasn't too bad, T3 can get a bit congested but fast-track @ £7 helps. T3, on the other hand, is - in my experience - fairly quick to clear immigration as the terminal's mostly Ryanair and not, like T1, getting three Jumbo's arriving at once!

However all that's about to change as T1 gets redevelpoed when T2 is fully open and T3 I think is due to disappear.

However, good news is that by then we should be able to go through security without unpacking, and more liquids allowed, I'll bey trying that system when next departing from Jersey where the new scanners are in place! I hope one day two things will happen; one is that you simply walk down a corridor with scans so you are inspected without even stopping and second iris/fingerprinting replaces physical passports (as is the case at Singapore I believe???), one less item to fiddle with and lose!!

But more relevant to the OP; looking forward to the day when I can do the Westray/Papa Westray flight with zero baggage check, on my bucket list as is Barra. One day I'll get around to it!!
 

hawthorn

Member
Joined
18 Nov 2023
Messages
6
Location
Surrey
I can remember at Alderney that was the case indeed you could sit outside on a bench in the sun until called for boarding. That was about 10 years ago, not sure if it's still like that but I suspect so.

Current picture at Alderney:

There are no x-ray scanners although there are hand held metal detectors. So when you arrive your hold luggage is weighed on "I speak your weight" type scales.

It is then manually searched in your presence and when cleared, taken through to be put on a cart airside

You then wait in the terminal landside, go through a slimline upright metal detector when called, and your minimal (laptop/handbag sized) hand luggage is searched.

Once airside, you are required to go into a portacabin where you watch the flight safety video, after which you remain there or can sit on the bench outside the cabin. You're still in a compound down some steps from the apron, so not exposed. When the flight is ready you walk to the plane (if you have a pet then you also take your dog or cat to the back of the plane yourself and it is loaded into the hold).

Once you arrive into Southampton or Guernsey, there is no direct transfer to the next flight - you have to clear arrivals and reclaim and then recheck your bag into the standard security pathway, to effectively enter the UK and international screened baggage system at that point. The manual checks at Alderney are only valid till you reach the first airport with standard scanners, in other words. This also seems to apply to pilots and crew who I have often seen scanned with metal detectors when they deplane at Guernsey on arrival from Alderney. This seems to mirror the discussion above about HIAL.

As an aside, there is no door or bulkhead into the cockpit on the Aurigny Dornier 228s so you can see the flight deck and pilots throughout. There is now a bulkhead between cargo/hold and the passenger cabin, compared to the BN Trislanders which often had the cargo just contained in cabin but held back by a net, so bags could in theory be accessed.

I first travelled through Alderney in the second half of September 2001 so witnessed first hand the improvised belt and braces security measures that had been introduced a week earlier. Very little has change since, mainly due to the constraints of the terminal. Alderney is likely to acquire a new airport in the next few years. This will mean a transition from the Dornier 228s (19 seats) to ATRs. Alderney's little airport will be missed by many, it's very much like being in a 1950s built primary school prefab.

As an aside, being so small a lot of Ridunians have second jobs, at one stage the chap that searched your bags at the airport also worked as the undertaker.
 
Last edited:

Howardh

Established Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
9,796
Current picture at Alderney:

There are no x-ray scanners although there are hand held metal detectors. So when you arrive your hold luggage is weighed on "I speak your weight" type scales.

It is then manually searched in your presence and when cleared, taken through to be put on a cart airside

You then wait in the terminal landside, go through a slimline upright metal detector when called, and your minimal (laptop/handbag sized) hand luggage is searched.

Once airside, you are required to go into a portacabin where you watch the flight safety video, after which you remain there or can sit on the bench outside the cabin. You're still in a compound down some steps from the apron, so not exposed. When the flight is ready you walk to the plane (if you have a pet then you also take your dog or cat to the back of the plane yourself and it is loaded into the hold).

Once you arrive into Southampton or Guernsey, there is no direct transfer to the next flight - you have to clear arrivals and reclaim and then recheck your bag into the standard security pathway, to effectively enter the UK and international screened baggage system at that point. The manual checks at Alderney are only valid till you reach the first airport with standard scanners, in other words. This also seems to apply to pilots and crew who I have often seen scanned with metal detectors when they deplane at Guernsey on arrival from Alderney. This seems to mirror the discussion above about HIAL.

As an aside, there is no door or bulkhead into the cockpit on the Aurigny Dornier 228s so you can see the flight deck and pilots throughout. There is now a bulkhead between cargo/hold and the passenger cabin, compared to the BN Trislanders which often had the cargo just contained in cabin but held back by a net, so bags could in theory be accessed.

I first travelled through Alderney in the second half of September 2001 so witnessed first hand the improvised belt and braces security measures that had been introduced a week earlier. Very little has change since, mainly due to the constraints of the terminal. Alderney is likely to acquire a new airport in the next few years. This will mean a transition from the Dornier 228s (19 seats) to ATRs. Alderney's little airport will be missed by many, it's very much like being in a 1950s built primary school prefab.

As an aside, being so small a lot of Ridunians have second jobs, at one stage the chap that searched your bags at the airport also worked as the undertaker.
Interesting! Of course when you arrive back at your UK airport you have to be taken through customs, so no direct transfers possible without that. Can't go through customs and stay "airside", so going through security (yet) again is necessary. **Same if arriving from Guernsey/Jersey @ Southampton/Liverpool/Gatwick etc)

BIB I thought the runway was to be increased, and that had been put on hold due to local objections; can't see where they would put a "new" airport, but I'm here to be educated!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top