• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

seasonticket to london from brighton..help

Status
Not open for further replies.

redscouse

New Member
Joined
22 Nov 2010
Messages
4
hi there need some advice

looking to buy a season ticket from Brighton to City thameslink...by any route...can I get off the train at london bridge and not be penalised.

thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LexyBoy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
4,478
Location
North of the rivers
Welcome to the forum!

Quick answer: yes!

Slightly longer answer: A Season Ticket is about the most flexible ticket you can get. You're allowed to travel as much as you like during the period of validity anywhere on any allowed route between the stations on your ticket. Note that this doesn't have to be on a train which goes to City Thameslink, so you could for instance travel on a Southern Service from Hassocks to East Croydon if you wanted.
 

LexyBoy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
4,478
Location
North of the rivers
I've had a look at the tickets and it seems a bit more complicated than I thought...

Monthly to London Terminals via Any Permitted (i.e. FCC to London Bridge or Southern to Victoria) is £341
Monthly to London Terminals via FCC Only is £298
Monthly to City Thameslink via Any Permitted is £298

This will be because of the competition to London complicating things - I guess the City Thameslink fare is 'Any Permitted' because only FCC go there from Brighton.

So it's no cheaper to go to City Thameslink, but you get a more flexible ticket for the same price (not restricted to FCC trains).
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,583
Location
Crayford
I've had a look at the tickets and it seems a bit more complicated than I thought...

Monthly to London Terminals via Any Permitted (i.e. FCC to London Bridge or Southern to Victoria) is £341
Monthly to London Terminals via FCC Only is £298
Monthly to City Thameslink via Any Permitted is £298

This will be because of the competition to London complicating things - I guess the City Thameslink fare is 'Any Permitted' because only FCC go there from Brighton.

So it's no cheaper to go to City Thameslink, but you get a more flexible ticket for the same price (not restricted to FCC trains).

I'm struggling to see why anyone would buy the FCC only ticket here. City Thameslink is the northernmost London terminal station when travelling from the south, so that ticket will also allow travel to London Bridge and Blackfriars. Or am I missing something?
 

John @ home

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2008
Messages
5,148
that ticket will also allow travel to London Bridge and Blackfriars. Or am I missing something?
No, you're not missing anything. A season ticket Brighton - City Thameslink route Any Permitted is valid by map LB, which allows:
  • Brighton - Three Bridges via Lewes or Hassocks, then
  • Three Bridges - Croydon, then
  • Croydon - Blackfriars by a wide range of routes in south London, allowing travel to or via Selhurst, Streatham, Clapham Junction, Waterloo, Crystal Palace, Tulse Hill, Herne Hill, Peckham Rye, Forest Hill, New Cross Gate or London Bridge, then
  • Blackfriars - City Thameslink.
 

b0b

Established Member
Joined
25 Jan 2010
Messages
1,371
This seems like a real anomaly, I would have expected the ticket to be issued to LONDON TERMINALS and not City Thameslink. This is a really good find!

edit: same fare to Farringdon and London St Pancras as well, though the ticket is endorsed NOT UNDERGROUND - but asking for Farringdon should prevent your ticket seller trying to sell you the London Terminals ticket.
 
Last edited:

redscouse

New Member
Joined
22 Nov 2010
Messages
4
Does this mean I can still exit the station at London bridge? And not receive a penalty of any kind.

I'm planning on a Brighton to city thameslink via any route £3104 annual ticket and get off at London bridge.
 

John @ home

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2008
Messages
5,148
Does this mean I can still exit the station at London bridge? And not receive a penalty of any kind.
Absolutely! With a season ticket routed "Any Permitted" you can make as many journeys as you like between any pair of stations on any permitted route between the origin and the destination printed on your ticket.
I'm planning on a Brighton to city thameslink via any route £3104 annual ticket and get off at London bridge.
That's fine. But B0b has pointed out in post #8 above that a St Pancras - Brighton route Not Underground season ticket is the same price and gives additional availability City Thameslink - Farringdon - St Pancras. This is worth having even if you only use the additional availability once or twice during the validity of the season ticket. But, as B0b has pointed out, make sure that the origin (or destination) printed on the ticket is LONDON ST PANCRS, not LONDON TERMINALS.

With a season ticket routed "Not Underground" you can make as many journeys as you like between any pair of stations on any permitted route between the origin and the destination printed on your ticket, as long as you (normally) avoid travelling on London Underground.

I've had to add the word normally because, during the frequent weekend and late night closures of the Thameslink route through central London, passengers with tickets routed "Not Underground" are instructed to, erm... , travel by London Underground!
 

b0b

Established Member
Joined
25 Jan 2010
Messages
1,371
One thing I wonder, is a Brighton to Farringdon NOT UNDERGROUND valid to Victoria? I can't think it is, and maybe that's why its cheaper than LONDON TERMINALS.....

It might not matter to the OP though.
 

John @ home

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2008
Messages
5,148
is a Brighton to Farringdon NOT UNDERGROUND valid to Victoria?
Not in normal circumstances - see map LB.

But I think the ticket would have to be accepted at Victoria when the cross-London Thameslink route is closed.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top