• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Season Ticket Validity Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evenstar

New Member
Joined
17 Jan 2025
Messages
2
Location
UK
I currently have a delay repay claim rejected by Northern because they say my ticket wasn't valid. I have a weekly season ticket from Longton to Manchester, but I usually start my journey at Stoke-on-Trent. I buy my season ticket from Longton so I have the option of starting my journey or returning there, which is sometimes more convenient for me. I thought season tickets were valid to and from intermediate stations, so I was allowed to choose to start or end my journey at Stoke. I have also never been told my ticket is invalid when it is checked on the train - I am usually travelling earlier than the first train from Longton, so it would be obvious I hadn't started my journey there. Have I got the validity wrong, or would my ticket be valid to start / end my journey at Stoke-on-Trent?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,174
Location
Wilmslow
Your season ticket is valid for unlimited travel between all stations along its permitted routes, which includes Stoke to Manchester. Heaton Chapel to Bramhall is similarly valid.
Anyone telling you otherwise is mistaken, misguided or making things up.
 
Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,817
Location
UK
Welcome to the forum.

You are entirely correct - your season ticket is valid for unlimited travel, including break of journey (starting, finishing or stopping off) at any intermediate station along a permitted route.

Stoke is therefore a valid station to start/finish your journey and there is nothing wrong with what you have done.

You should appeal your Delay Repay claim as the stated reason for rejection is incorrect.

Let us know what Northern say.
 

Evenstar

New Member
Joined
17 Jan 2025
Messages
2
Location
UK
Thanks for the replies. I thought that was the case but their reason for rejection of the claim made me panic that I'd been travelling without a valid ticket for I don't know how long!

I have appealed the delay repay claim, I will let you know how I get on.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top