• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Season Ticket Options From Epsom to Guildford

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoneking

Member
Joined
3 Jul 2009
Messages
283
Am I correct in assuming that using this combination of tickets I can travel between Epsom and Guildford either via Dorking/Gomshall or Effingham Junction? Is there a cheaper way?

From BOX HILL&WHMBLE To GUILDFORD
Route ANY PERMITTED
12 months £2,604.00

From LEATHERHEAD To EPSOM
Route
12 months £884.00

Total = £3488

Would the ticket below be valid via Dorking/Gomshall?
From GUILDFORD To LONDON ZONES 5-6
Route VIA EPSOM
12 months £3,428.00
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,772
Location
UK
Am I correct in assuming that using this combination of tickets I can travel between Epsom and Guildford either via Dorking/Gomshall or Effingham Junction? Is there a cheaper way?

From BOX HILL&WHMBLE To GUILDFORD
Route ANY PERMITTED
12 months £2,604.00

From LEATHERHEAD To EPSOM
Route
12 months £884.00

Total = £3488
Yes, that's correct. A season from Epsom to Gomshall is quite a bit cheaper though, at £2292 per year, and is valid via both Guildford and Dorking.

Now, whether that's valid to pass through Gomshall non-stop is somewhat of an unanswered question (you aren't "splitting" per se, after all). But certainly there is no question you would be fine to take a train that stops at Gomshall.

Would the ticket below be valid via Dorking/Gomshall?
From GUILDFORD To LONDON ZONES 5-6
Route VIA EPSOM
12 months £3,428.00
I wouldn't have thought so. There is no permitted route which you can trace via Dorking and Epsom if you have to enter the Travelcard Zones via Epsom.

There are specifically routed 'via Redhill' fares, but these would only cover between Guildford and Dorking (in terms of the routes you're interested in).
 

zoneking

Member
Joined
3 Jul 2009
Messages
283
Thanks, It looks like Epsom to Gomshall is cheapest, I hope the ticket will work at Dorking Station gates, they reject a lot. If I wanted to travel on to Caterham I would have to get an extension Dorking to Caterham ticket, valid via Redhill
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,772
Location
UK
Thanks, It looks like Epsom to Gomshall is cheapest, I hope the ticket will work at Dorking Station gates, they reject a lot.
There's unfortunately no guarantee it will work the gates, as ticket barriers have to be manually programmed to accept tickets that aren't to/from the station in question. And it's fairly unlikely that they would have been programmed for such a minor flow.

If I wanted to travel on to Caterham I would have to get an extension Dorking to Caterham ticket, valid via Redhill
How often would you be travelling each of these destinations? Getting a Travelcard obviously makes more sense if you regularly travel to Caterham as it's covered "for free", being in Zone 6.
 

KeithMcC

Member
Joined
13 Nov 2020
Messages
147
Location
Surrey
Tickets to Shalford normally work the gates at Dorking without any problems, as changing there for the North Downs Line stations is very common. There is a departure display for Dorking Deepdene outside the ticket office at Dorking Main.
 

zoneking

Member
Joined
3 Jul 2009
Messages
283
I doubt the ticket would work at Dorking. My current ticket, which I will no longer need, is Gomshall to zones 4-6 any permitted. Despite being clearly valid at each, it does not work at Redhill, Dorking, Leatherhead or Epsom stations. Very annoying.
 

paul1609

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2006
Messages
7,992
Location
K
I doubt the ticket would work at Dorking. My current ticket, which I will no longer need, is Gomshall to zones 4-6 any permitted. Despite being clearly valid at each, it does not work at Redhill, Dorking, Leatherhead or Epsom stations. Very annoying.
Itll be because its a Southwestern priced ticket wheras the not Guildford one is priced by Southern. For reasons best known to the tocs they seem to have difficulty accepting each others tickets.
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,582
Location
Crayford
Now, whether that's valid to pass through Gomshall non-stop is somewhat of an unanswered question (you aren't "splitting" per se, after all). But certainly there is no question you would be fine to take a train that stops at Gomshall.
I'm pretty sure @infobleep managed to get authority to use such a ticket on a train which didn't stop at Gomshall. Perhaps he could confirm.
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
I'm pretty sure @infobleep managed to get authority to use such a ticket on a train which didn't stop at Gomshall. Perhaps he could confirm.
I had permission from First Great Western as they were then that if I had a season ticket that started from Shalford, I could pass through Shalford without stopping as there were multiple routes from Shalford to London, in both directions.

At the time I had either a Shalford to London Zone 2 to 6 season ticket or Shalford to London Zone 1 to 6 season ticket. I forget which is was as over time I had both kinds.
 
Last edited:

zoneking

Member
Joined
3 Jul 2009
Messages
283
Just to confirm, The Routeing Point Calculator does not allow routeing via Guildford for Epsom to Gomshall (only Dorking), but National Rail Journey Planner shows that routes via Guildford are the same price as via Dorking. And if no route is selected it gives options via Dorking or Guildford for the same price. So is this a safe assumption the route via Guildford is valid? The same applies to Sutton to Gomshall, which is cheaper as a single fare and as a season at £1716.
 
Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,772
Location
UK
Just to confirm, The Routeing Point Calculator does not allow routeing via Guildford for Epsom to Gomshall (only Dorking), but National Rail Journey Planner shows that routes via Guildford are the same price as via Dorking. And if no route is selected it gives options via Dorking or Guildford for the same price. So is this a safe assumption the route via Guildford is valid?
Going via Guildford is not a mapped route, but it is the shortest route wholly by rail and is therefore permitted without needing to refer to the Routeing Guide.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top