• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Season Kintbury-Reading/Twyford anomaly

Status
Not open for further replies.

317362

Member
Joined
7 Sep 2017
Messages
356
I have had a Kintbury-Reading season for 5 years. I now have to go to Twyford twice a week so idly looked at the season ticket calculator.

I have found that whilst Kintbury-Reading is £2216 which I currently pay, Kintbury-Twyford is £2168, despite Twyford being beyond Reading.

So, given that I could use the Twyford ticket to Reading, is there any reason why I shouldn't ask for a changeover, and then always get a Kintbury-Twyford in future. Is this just one of those anomalies, (and if so, why?)

Shame about the £250 I have 'overpaid' over the years...plus several Twyford-Reading tickets due to family living there.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,541
Location
Yorkshire
For maximum value get Kintbury to Henley on Thames : http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?...ert=on&flow=1&multi=1&fare=4&rte=1000&tkt=7DS

Yes you can get a changeover and buy this fare in future.

As for why? Well GWR have probably increased Seasons to Reading at a higher rate, maybe? There was certainly a time, under the old "fares basket" system where they would increase lucrative fares at a greater rate than other fares.

If they are allowed to increase the Twyford/Henley Season to match, they will do now that they know about it, but I think they might struggle to do it under the current arrangements.

I would urge all Season ticket holders to consider the price of alternative fares either side of their origin/destination to see if the price may be similar and maximise value. Sometimes it may be a little more to go further but you may do more leisure journeys in that direction so can be worth it.
 

317362

Member
Joined
7 Sep 2017
Messages
356
Kintbury-Earley 2,120
Kintbury-Tilehurst 2,072

All as valid as my current Kintbury-Reading, but much cheaper. So if I lose the need to go to Twyford, buy to Tilehurst? Amazed/annoyed!
 

317362

Member
Joined
7 Sep 2017
Messages
356
For maximum value get Kintbury to Henley on Thames : http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?...ert=on&flow=1&multi=1&fare=4&rte=1000&tkt=7DS

Yes you can get a changeover and buy this fare in future.

As for why? Well GWR have probably increased Seasons to Reading at a higher rate, maybe? There was certainly a time, under the old "fares basket" system where they would increase lucrative fares at a greater rate than other fares.

If they are allowed to increase the Twyford/Henley Season to match, they will do now that they know about it, but I think they might struggle to do it under the current arrangements.

I would urge all Season ticket holders to consider the price of alternative fares either side of their origin/destination to see if the price may be similar and maximise value. Sometimes it may be a little more to go further but you may do more leisure journeys in that direction so can be worth it.
Thanks for confirming and yes, I now would too!
 

JB_B

Established Member
Joined
27 Dec 2013
Messages
1,564
Kintbury - Tilehurst now has different prices for seasons on route Any Permitted [00000] than for route Any - Permitted [01000]. (Quite a big difference in price for 1st seasons.)

What is going on there? Do they ever actually sell the more expensive tickets?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top