• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sealink Rolling Stock Question (past times)

Status
Not open for further replies.

03_179

Established Member
Joined
13 Aug 2008
Messages
3,867
Location
At my desk
Who remembers the old Sealink coaching stock?

I am after information:

What stock these were formed of?

What was the usual formation etc.?

The routes they ran on?

Usual loco that would haul these trains?

Thanks guys :)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hunslet

New Member
Joined
4 Aug 2015
Messages
2
I remember a Class 27 hauling the train to Stranraer on a few occasions. Northern Ireland Railways had one of their 70 Class DEMU 3 car sets painted in a matching livery.
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,579
Location
Macclesfield
It's difficult to overlook the Sealink stock, offering as it did a bright splash of colour at a time when the majority of coaching stock was still drab (but smart, except when (often) scruffy) blue and grey.

The Sealink stock was made up of mark 1s, allocated to Polmadie depot. Delving back into the mid eighties (somewhere I can usually be found loitering anyway), there were a number of corridor seconds (SK) in the form of vehicles 18385/369 and 24844/848/856/880/884/890/894/900, and BSKs 35069/070 in the livery. I think that this allowed for two rakes of six carriages (5 x CK plus 1 x BSK), often supplemented by a standard blue and grey BG luggage van.

Photos I have seen show class 47s being typical for traction and 37s not unusual. F'rinstance, see here for a typical formation:
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3308904

And here's a shot of Proto-Pacer haulage on the Irish train, just to prove that anything is possible. :lol: (Although in all honesty, it will have been the railbus that was being hauled).
http://www.geograph.ie/photo/2318080

There's a nice photo here (not mine) of the most part of the Provincial operated, Sealink liveried rolling stock being hauled by a Scotrail branded, Intercity Executive liveried loco on a tour towards the end of its' life that comes with a bit of additional information on the rolling stock:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/5695784860
 
Last edited:

03_179

Established Member
Joined
13 Aug 2008
Messages
3,867
Location
At my desk
Many thanks all.

Sprinter guy ... that is great. I remember seeing a photo of the stock in Rail mag many many moons ago, recently I was talking with someone about our old BR days and it stirred the memory.

:)

Thanks :)
 
Last edited:

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,579
Location
Macclesfield
Was 35072 not also in Sealink colours?
Apparently so, according to the caption on the final photo I linked to: There's a couple of vehicles listed there that must have been withdrawn by the time of publication of the 1987 Ian Allan pocket book I was reading from.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top