• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SE - Fearing of Prosecution

Status
Not open for further replies.

kidszalor1412

Member
Joined
6 May 2014
Messages
8
Hi all ...

I know this could be sound stupid but I'm really panicked, scared and tense. I travelled from Nunhead Station to Elephant and Castle without the ticket. Unluckily, at that moment, there were rail inspectors and when I saw them, I immediately turned my back around. One guy caught me and asked whether I had the ticket or not. Then, I was taken to another inspector and interviewed. I admitted that I turned my back around when seeing inspector and intention for fare evasion. The inspector then said that I could be prosecuted and criminal record. I apologised and gave them the details of my name and address. They will send me a letter in few weeks ahead.

What can happen with me at the moment? :( I've never tried avoiding the fare. I even have the weekly bus travel in the oyster. However, I had to travelled by train because of the urgent business today. I know I made a stupid mistake but I'm really tense and scared at the moment.

I'm really appreciate with any help from you :(
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

47421

Member
Joined
7 Feb 2012
Messages
686
Location
london
You will probably get a letter saying they are considering prosecution, and asking you if there is anything you would like to say about the incident. You can then write back apologising for your error and for not making sure you had a valid ticket and asking whether they would be willing to settle the case out of court. If you have not had any similar issues with the train co before, and you did not lie to the inspector or get aggressive with them, then there is a good chance they will be willing to settle out of court in return for a payment of the fare and costs, typically in the low hundreds of pounds. But there is no certaintly about that, sometimes these cases do result in prosecution and conviction.
Let us know what the letter says when it arrives
 

kidszalor1412

Member
Joined
6 May 2014
Messages
8
You will probably get a letter saying they are considering prosecution, and asking you if there is anything you would like to say about the incident. You can then write back apologising for your error and for not making sure you had a valid ticket and asking whether they would be willing to settle the case out of court. If you have not had any similar issues with the train co before, and you did not lie to the inspector or get aggressive with them, then there is a good chance they will be willing to settle out of court in return for a payment of the fare and costs, typically in the low hundreds of pounds. But there is no certaintly about that, sometimes these cases do result in prosecution and conviction.
Let us know what the letter says when it arrives

Thanks very much for your kind reply ... I hope it's fingercross :( just a short distance from Nunhead to E&C :( ...
 

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Jan 2010
Messages
3,581
Location
Bo'ness, West Lothian
........ just a short distance from Nunhead to E&C......

The distance you bunked usually does not make that much difference to the fine imposed by a court upon conviction*. It can have a bearing on the amount the TOC receives as I am sure in most cases they are at least offered the actual fare due.

*Therefore this also won't make that much difference to any out of court settlement offered.
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
So lets check we have got everything-

Attempt to fare dodge? Yep.
First time, never done this before? Yep.
Tried to hightail it out of there when you saw the RPI block? Yep.
Silly mistake? Yep
Rude RPI? Nope, you seem to have missed that one off! ;)

The way I read your post (forgive me if I am a bit harsh)-

You attempted to travel fraudulently and got caught (where I believe its your first time is irrelevant but I dont ;)), When you saw the RPI block you realised you were in the shi um smelly stuff and tried to backtrack out the way but were intercepted by another RPI, this shows that you knew what you were doing so wont have done you any favours.
On being questioned you were truthful and polite at all times (if you lied at all or lost your rag then tell us because it will have an effect on what the company do) and you it will alter the advice you are given on here.

Anyway, the company will send you a letter asking for your side of the story, dont bullsh+t them (they have heard it all before) but be truthful and honest, apologise and tell them you have learned your lesson (if you have) and hope they are in a good mood.

If the above is true and this is the first time you have been caught then they might decide to let you off with an admin charge, your name will go on the list and if you are caught again then you will need a nice suit.
If they are in a bad mood then you will be going to Court.

Write down what you can remember about the conversation between you and the RPI to act as a memory jogger, other than that there is nothing else you can do until the letter arrives.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thanks for your reply. I wanted to mean I've never made any offence or fare evasion before :(

So basically you have never been caught before!
 

kidszalor1412

Member
Joined
6 May 2014
Messages
8
So lets check we have got everything-

Attempt to fare dodge? Yep.
First time, never done this before? Yep.
Tried to hightail it out of there when you saw the RPI block? Yep.
Silly mistake? Yep
Rude RPI? Nope, you seem to have missed that one off! ;)

The way I read your post (forgive me if I am a bit harsh)-

You attempted to travel fraudulently and got caught (where I believe its your first time is irrelevant but I dont ;)), When you saw the RPI block you realised you were in the shi um smelly stuff and tried to backtrack out the way but were intercepted by another RPI, this shows that you knew what you were doing so wont have done you any favours.
On being questioned you were truthful and polite at all times (if you lied at all or lost your rag then tell us because it will have an effect on what the company do) and you it will alter the advice you are given on here.

Anyway, the company will send you a letter asking for your side of the story, dont bullsh+t them (they have heard it all before) but be truthful and honest, apologise and tell them you have learned your lesson (if you have) and hope they are in a good mood.

If the above is true and this is the first time you have been caught then they might decide to let you off with an admin charge, your name will go on the list and if you are caught again then you will need a nice suit.
If they are in a bad mood then you will be going to Court.

Write down what you can remember about the conversation between you and the RPI to act as a memory jogger, other than that there is nothing else you can do until the letter arrives.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


So basically you have never been caught before!

Thanks very much for your prompt reply! I've never caught or been fraudulent before! Also, I was polite and did not lose my temper or be rude with the RPI! All of the information I gave them was real and did not have any lie :( just only the stupid mistake when I made a turning around when seeing the RPI barrel :( !!! Anyway, do you have any idea how much the admin charge will be?
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
Thanks very much for your prompt reply! I've never caught or been fraudulent before! Also, I was polite and did not lose my temper or be rude with the RPI! All of the information I gave them was real and did not have any lie :( just only the stupid mistake when I made a turning around when seeing the RPI barrel :( !!! Anyway, do you have any idea how much the admin charge will be?
The stupid mistake was not buying a ticket when you started your journey, anything after that was entirely risk mitigation, which didnt work.

The costs if offered are entirely at their discretion so I wouldnt have a clue, sorry.

The facts you were honest and polite will have been put on the RPIs notes so will be in your favour.

Just a waiting game for that letter which will start off by saying something like-

On <a date> you were stopped by an RPI, blah blah blah, we are considering prosecution and would like you to reply stating any mitigating circumstances.

Then it is up to you but being apologetic etc is a good start, I am not aware what ticketing facilities are available where you started your journey but if there are lots of machines and/or an open ticket office it could be a problem, just write truthfully remembering they will have the RPIs report so the two had better be similar.

I know its not nice but there is nothing you can do until that letter arrives.
 

tony6499

Member
Joined
27 Sep 2012
Messages
914
The fact that you tried to run when you saw the RPI's may go against you as it shows you knew what you were doing was wrong
 

kidszalor1412

Member
Joined
6 May 2014
Messages
8
The stupid mistake was not buying a ticket when you started your journey, anything after that was entirely risk mitigation, which didnt work.

The costs if offered are entirely at their discretion so I wouldnt have a clue, sorry.

The facts you were honest and polite will have been put on the RPIs notes so will be in your favour.

Just a waiting game for that letter which will start off by saying something like-

On <a date> you were stopped by an RPI, blah blah blah, we are considering prosecution and would like you to reply stating any mitigating circumstances.

Then it is up to you but being apologetic etc is a good start, I am not aware what ticketing facilities are available where you started your journey but if there are lots of machines and/or an open ticket office it could be a problem, just write truthfully remembering they will have the RPIs report so the two had better be similar.

I know its not nice but there is nothing you can do until that letter arrives.

Thanks very much for all of your information :)! Now it's better to wait and see!
 

kidszalor1412

Member
Joined
6 May 2014
Messages
8
The fact that you tried to run when you saw the RPI's may go against you as it shows you knew what you were doing was wrong

Yeah, that was really silly :( ...!!! But that the first time I was in fraudulent situation and a little bit of panicked when seeing them ... :(
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
But the fact you were honest and polite will go for you so will balance out the other bit.
 

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
Joined
24 Apr 2014
Messages
6,594
Location
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
If you are lucky, you may be able to settle out of court or before you actually walk into the courtroom. Expect a 3-figure sum.

Once in court, prosecuters acting for TOC's are not lenient, they will prosecute and I'm afraid you have absolutely no defence.

I really hope for your sake you can avoid a court hearing

Lesson learnt I hope !
 

kidszalor1412

Member
Joined
6 May 2014
Messages
8
If you are lucky, you may be able to settle out of court or before you actually walk into the courtroom. Expect a 3-figure sum.

Once in court, prosecuters acting for TOC's are not lenient, they will prosecute and I'm afraid you have absolutely no defence.

I really hope for your sake you can avoid a court hearing

Lesson learnt I hope !

Thanks robert for your sharing :(!!!

Actually, I'm awaiting for their letter. I wish I could turn back the time and did not make that stupid mistake. I hope I can write to persuade them trying put down the figure since I'm a student :( ...

Thanks very much for all of your comment!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top