• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Screw-propelled railway in London, early C20?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sampablokuper

New Member
Joined
14 Aug 2009
Messages
4
At some point in the last year, while browsing the Web, I read about, and saw both pictures and digitised film footage of, a railway built for an exhibition in London in the late 19th or early 20th century. The latter, as I recall.

The most unusual aspect of this railway was its method of propulsion: the carriages were propelled by a screw mounted between the tracks. Since the screw rotated at a constant rate, the speed of the carriages was controlled by the pitch of the screw: very close pitch at stations so that carriages moved slowly enough for patrons to embark or disembark; much wider between stations so that the journey was not pointlessly slow.

I thought I had bookmarked at least one web page about this railway, but now I can't find that bookmark so either I didn't bookmark it or I accidentally erased the bookmark. And nor have I had any luck with Google searches, etc.

So I'm asking for your help! Please, can anyone tell me the name of the railway, or of the exhibition, or other useful information?

Many thanks in advance!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I seem to recall the relevant exhibition was at White City.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top