• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Vehicle Presentation (Cleaning) - Nights

Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincrash4

Member
Joined
17 Nov 2013
Messages
6
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience in working nights on Vehicle Presentation for Scotrail? I have interviewed for the post and trying to weigh up if it would be a good move from my desk job. Looking at the long term benefits too for progression as I get the job isn't a glamorous job but wanted to see if someone could give me a little bit of insight to the actual job night to night and what shift patterns were like etc.

Thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Journeyman

Established Member
Joined
16 Apr 2014
Messages
6,295
I've not done that particular job, but I've done plenty of night shifts, and they're very hard work. I'd think very, very carefully before taking on permanent nights - it really will take over your life.
 

mw1967

Member
Joined
27 Oct 2015
Messages
38
I worked in Train Presentation but moved on a couple of years ago. Shift patterns have changed since then and I'm unsure what they are though I'm sure they're still dependant on where you are. I found night shift ok to be honest, but everybody is different. The work is hard going at times but not something I would let put you off. Progression can be difficult. The natural progression being moving into a Team Leader role, then it becones a bit of a dead end. Where are you applying for?
 

hiall

Member
Joined
19 Jun 2009
Messages
113
At a glasgow depot the hours are 2030-0530 or 2230-0530. All the guys and girls love it. It is job and done so you are away we'll before 0530. easy life with no pressures.
 

captaincrash4

Member
Joined
17 Nov 2013
Messages
6
I worked in Train Presentation but moved on a couple of years ago. Shift patterns have changed since then and I'm unsure what they are though I'm sure they're still dependant on where you are. I found night shift ok to be honest, but everybody is different. The work is hard going at times but not something I would let put you off. Progression can be difficult. The natural progression being moving into a Team Leader role, then it becones a bit of a dead end. Where are you applying for?

I applied for Haymarket in Edinburgh. I suppose my only real concern is I have a dodgy knee and wasn't sure how much climbing I would need to be doing for getting in and out of trains?
 

captaincrash4

Member
Joined
17 Nov 2013
Messages
6
At a glasgow depot the hours are 2030-0530 or 2230-0530. All the guys and girls love it. It is job and done so you are away we'll before 0530. easy life with no pressures.


Do you know if their shifts are consistent like all in a row and not 2 shifts on then 1 off etc?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top