• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Turbostars moving to Southern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,855
Location
Oakham
hmmm,loaded for me no problems.

Can you view .pdf s?

Yes, I can view .pdf format but they don't usually generate a message popping up saying I am not authorised to view the page...


Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /sites/default/files/downloads/abellio_scotrail_qa_summary_v2_181214.pdf on this server.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class377/5

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,594
Does anyone know how reliable are turbostars are ? On the Ashford to Brighton route there always seems to be a rail replacement bus on standby at Ashford. The driver told me that the trains are always overcrowded and that passengers often prefer the coach over the train due to the severe overcrowding on it. Is this true?

There is no stand by bus at Ashford.
 

Class377/5

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,594
There was on that particular day. Okay ??!!!

The general questioning on the forum was about a stand by bus being there regularly as a back up for a failure. I didn't say there never was.

Buses aren't speed on the basis of a train might fall but rather ordered afterwards. Rule of thumb with a bus is it takes min 60mins to arrive. With the Marshlink, you can have time if you know the train needs to be pulled to arrange a bus if in the right place.
 

notadriver

Established Member
Joined
1 Oct 2010
Messages
3,737
The general questioning on the forum was about a stand by bus being there regularly as a back up for a failure. I didn't say there never was.

Buses aren't speed on the basis of a train might fall but rather ordered afterwards. Rule of thumb with a bus is it takes min 60mins to arrive. With the Marshlink, you can have time if you know the train needs to be pulled to arrange a bus if in the right place.

Fair comment but obviously working in the area I know several stations where those replacement buses are all too often waiting for any scraps of work they can pick up. Ramsgate has one parked in the forecourt.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Does this say something about supply and demand in the bus and coach sector in the southeast I wonder? Anyhow thats another thread. On reliabilitty I'll be interested to see how the 170s perform down there in a very different working environment. I hope they behave and help with the problems.
 

physics34

Established Member
Joined
1 Dec 2013
Messages
4,094
Does this say something about supply and demand in the bus and coach sector in the southeast I wonder? Anyhow thats another thread. On reliabilitty I'll be interested to see how the 170s perform down there in a very different working environment. I hope they behave and help with the problems.

i dont know if you are saying they will be working harder in the south? THe uckfield line certainly is hilly but i dont know that compares with the work they currently do.

They will be working hard though as southerns daily requirement will be high.
 

SprinterMan

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2010
Messages
2,341
Location
Hertford
Yes, I can view .pdf format but they don't usually generate a message popping up saying I am not authorised to view the page...

Here it is for you :)

Out of interest, which browser do you use?

Adam :D
 

Attachments

  • abellio_scotrail_qa_summary_v2_181214.pdf
    357.2 KB · Views: 83

Scotrail84

On Moderation
Joined
5 Jul 2010
Messages
2,977
170 423 and 424 have had their das units removed. Could be two that are moving south.

I've also heard that the 2nd evening loco haul set will return on a temporary basis from April 1st for 6 weeks then after the May timetable change both the morning and evening loco haul services will return to compensate for the loss of the turbos.
 

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Joined
18 Mar 2014
Messages
5,491
170 423 and 424 have had their das units removed. Could be two that are moving south.

I've also heard that the 2nd evening loco haul set will return on a temporary basis from April 1st for 6 weeks then after the May timetable change both the morning and evening loco haul services will return to compensate for the loss of the turbos.

What is a "das" unit?
 

RobShipway

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2009
Messages
3,337
I cannot see how the taking out of the DAS units on a couple of Class 170's shows that they are moving south as I believe Southern also uses similar DAS units to thos already installed?
 

physics34

Established Member
Joined
1 Dec 2013
Messages
4,094
170 423 and 424 have had their das units removed. Could be two that are moving south.

I've also heard that the 2nd evening loco haul set will return on a temporary basis from April 1st for 6 weeks then after the May timetable change both the morning and evening loco haul services will return to compensate for the loss of the turbos.

Well the 4 units coming to southern will be from 170 416 - 424, the Eversholt units, so you could be right.

On that subject, the DAS units installed in southerns 171s havent gone beyond the trial stage..... maybe due to an article in a railway safety mag saying that DAS is a cab distraction (which it is).
 
Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,855
Location
Oakham
I suppose these are going to be renumbered before they re-appear down here? ( Need a photo of 424 and two others in that batch and no immediate opportunity to go to Scotland! )
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Don't they need new couplers to work with the 171s? If so renumbering is guaranteed. No doubt it'll happen to TPX's 170s when they head south too...
 

Scotrail84

On Moderation
Joined
5 Jul 2010
Messages
2,977
I cannot see how the taking out of the DAS units on a couple of Class 170's shows that they are moving south as I believe Southern also uses similar DAS units to thos already installed?

They are part of the batch to be sent South that's how.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I suppose these are going to be renumbered before they re-appear down here? ( Need a photo of 424 and two others in that batch and no immediate opportunity to go to Scotland! )

What set numbers?
 
Last edited:

physics34

Established Member
Joined
1 Dec 2013
Messages
4,094
Don't they need new couplers to work with the 171s? If so renumbering is guaranteed. No doubt it'll happen to TPX's 170s when they head south too...

yep they will need dellners.

They will also be getting refurbished but to what extreme we dont know.

Also still the rumour going around that the 4 units will be divided to make 2 x 2 car and 2 x 4 car but that hasnt been confirmed from any source as far as i can find.
 

Scotrail84

On Moderation
Joined
5 Jul 2010
Messages
2,977
Abellio seemingly don't want das or the simulators so the removal of das may not be that significant but I'm guessing these are the units to head south.
 

overthewater

Established Member
Joined
16 Apr 2012
Messages
9,148
I'm still rather complexed as to why people are somewhat daft enought to believe alot of the 170s are dissappearing. Do people want full scale riots?

I would put money on the Class 318 being taken out of service first, and hopeful 156.
 
Last edited:

ADRboy

Member
Joined
13 Jul 2008
Messages
160
Abellio seemingly don't want das or the simulators so the removal of das may not be that significant but I'm guessing these are the units to head south.

DAS & Simulators both v much in the plans as far as I know.
 

SprinterJedi

Member
Joined
4 Jan 2015
Messages
9
If you look at the new Franchise Agreement, from Dec 18, Scotrail will operate 21 x 170s, 40 x 158s, 38 x 156. Obviously as well as HSTs, 3xx etc.
 

D6975

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
3,053
Location
Bristol
If you look at the new Franchise Agreement, from Dec 18, Scotrail will operate 21 x 170s, 40 x 158s, 38 x 156. Obviously as well as HSTs, 3xx etc.

They aren't getting HSTs that soon.
IEPs have to enter service before Scotrail get HSTs and they're still some way off.
When HSTs do arrive, they'll give up the rest of the 170s.
 

ADRboy

Member
Joined
13 Jul 2008
Messages
160
They aren't getting HSTs that soon.
IEPs have to enter service before Scotrail get HSTs and they're still some way off.
When HSTs do arrive, they'll give up the rest of the 170s.

There's 21 170's being kept until 2025.

27 HST sets introduced from Summer 2018 with all in by Dec 2018. 2 sets increased to 6 cars in 2022.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top