• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail train conductor assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adammccall

New Member
Joined
13 Jul 2015
Messages
1
Location
Lockerbie, Scotland
Hi, I have an assessment on Thursday for scotrail for train conductor at dumfries. I'm wondering if any conductors here can give me any advice or tips to help me succeed on that day?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jonfun

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2007
Messages
1,254
Location
North West
Have they said which assessments you'll be sitting? I assume it'll consist of a number of standard assessments from OPC plus potentially some company specific ones. I can't speak for any Scotrail specific tests but for the OPC ones, the best advice I can give is work through the practice material so you have an idea on the types of questions that will be asked, and (I appreciate it's easy to say and less easy to do) don't sit there in the testing room and let yourself get stressed over them. Some of them are designed to try and test to see if you can process potentially confusing information without error - if you keep a clear head it's easier to stay focused and you'll reduce the risk of making a mistake.
 

paepo

Member
Joined
28 Jun 2015
Messages
93
What does a conductors assessment entail then?
I've read about driver assessments but know nothing about the conductors recruitment process. There doesn't seem to be any positions available just now but it's something I'd consider applying for if there were vacancies.
 

Jonfun

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2007
Messages
1,254
Location
North West
It varies. Normally you'll sit a set of tests (two or three depending on the company), such as -

Group Bourdon ("dots test", marking groups of four dots off a matrix to test concentration)
SCAAT (same as group bourdon but with alternating shapes rather than dots)
Customer Service Verbal Test (comprehension test, finding answers to multiple choice questions in a passage of text)
Rules Aptitude Aquisition Test (same as above but with a rules theme rather than customer service)
Ticket Selling and Checking Test (basic maths working out ticket prices and change, plus testing concentration and attention checking tickets and identifying whether they're valid, and if not, why.)
Numerical Safety Test (just a timed maths test, simple maths, plus working out fractions and percentages etc)

Officially you can only fail these tests twice before being excluded, but some companies are stricter than others with regards to this.

Then you'll have often have company specific tests such as a group discussion, PA announcement tests, role plays or similar.

You'll generally then have an interview with a manager, which is a mix of competency based questions, and things about your knowledge of the company and the role.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top