Hi, does anyone have any experience of Scotrail in terms of relocation? The application asks if you live within 45mins of the station, but doesn't decline you immediately if you say no. Just wondering if there's any point filling in the very lengthy application if it's just going to sift me out. The advert doesn't seem to say anything about relocation. Any info would be gratefully received.
Go ahead and fill it out as it doesn't sift you out!
I was progressed through applications for positions outwith the 45 minute area of where I lived. I informed the managers I would be willing to relocate at interview stage and spoke briefly of my plans of how I would go about relocating (possibly having to rent to begin with until I had sold my own property then purchase a permanent home). Just make sure you have looked at rental possibilities and property availability etc. incase anything is asked about relocating as it helps if they can see you've actually done a bit of research and are serious about relocating.
One thing I will say is that if you want the job enough then you will be willing to spend the time filling out the application. Some people may see it as a waste of time but I was willing to do anything I could to give myself a chance of landing a job I wanted. The applications are long but if you can't be bothered taking time to fill it out then this may not be the career for you as you will need to spend a lot of time compiling interview answers and researching the employer, etc if you get to interview. If successful you'll then be spending a lot of time learning rules in your own time too.
All the best with your application, a day spent at the computer filling it out could lead to a job you love, a better work/home life balance, better pension and a slight increase in salary (it did for me). Good luck!