• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail longer distance services should match TfW's service standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fife coaster

Member
Joined
6 Feb 2017
Messages
22
Moderator note: split from

I was on transport for Wales mark 4 first class service two weeks ago.

And what a difference from Scotrail 1st advance fares available unlike scotrail where its full price only. The service and dining in first class was amazing and very well priced and lots of options and first class was busy both ways. And the cafe bar was busy with standard class passenger.

How can wales do it but Scotland can’t its no difficult? we need to think big like wales.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,681
Location
LBK
I was on transport for Wales mark 4 first class service two weeks ago. And what a difference from Scotrail 1st advanace fares available unlike scotrail where its full price only. The service and dining in first class was amazing and very well priced and lots of options and first class was busy both ways. And the cafe bar was busy with standard class passenger. How can wales do it but Scotland can’t its no difficult we need to think big like wales.
The secret ingredient is setting fire to public money.
 

sh24

Established Member
Joined
28 Sep 2023
Messages
1,522
Location
London
I was on transport for Wales mark 4 first class service two weeks ago. And what a difference from Scotrail 1st advanace fares available unlike scotrail where its full price only. The service and dining in first class was amazing and very well priced and lots of options and first class was busy both ways. And the cafe bar was busy with standard class passenger. How can wales do it but Scotland can’t its no difficult we need to think big like wales.

It isn’t about thinking big. If someone is prepared to use taxpayers money to subsidise it, then Scotland can do this too. Perhaps wisely they are spending on infrastructure?

ScotRail First class upgrades on train are reasonably priced which compensates for the dearth of advances.
 

Rick1984

Member
Joined
23 Aug 2012
Messages
1,149
How heavily loaded are the TfW services in comparison to ScotRail?
 

Highlander1

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2025
Messages
181
Location
Inverness
I was on transport for Wales mark 4 first class service two weeks ago. And what a difference from Scotrail 1st advanace fares available unlike scotrail where its full price only. The service and dining in first class was amazing and very well priced and lots of options and first class was busy both ways. And the cafe bar was busy with standard class passenger. How can wales do it but Scotland can’t its no difficult we need to think big like wales.
Dining on a TFW service is an additional cost on top of your ticket and it's on very few select services. Those mark 4's aren't exactly reliable either so they are regularly substituted for a DMU. There are 1st class advance tickets on scotrail but they are limited by the number of 1st class seats available.
 

capital12

Member
Joined
20 Aug 2012
Messages
527
It isn’t about thinking big. If someone is prepared to use taxpayers money to subsidise it, then Scotland can do this too. Perhaps wisely they are spending on infrastructure?

ScotRail First class upgrades on train are reasonably priced which compensates for the dearth of advances.
LOL! Scottish Government spending wisely, I just spat out my tepid tea!

The trouble with ScotRail is the product is so haphazard that you never know what you’re going to get and that uncertainty puts me off travelling with them.

Should be an HST but you get a crammed 170, should be a trolley but nothing - and it’s all very well people saying buy it at the station, but if you’re travelling from Mallaig to Glasgow that’s 5 hours on the train!

I could use LNER but despise the 800s for how uncomfortable they are.

So as I have to drive to the station anyway, I generally now stay in the car and drive to where I need to go or the airport instead! It’s comfortable and I can stop for refreshments wherever I like!

ScotRail really need to get a grip on their product and the consistency to temp me back - if they can make these 222s into something good then I may give them a go (do I think they can? Probably not!)
 

Highlander1

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2025
Messages
181
Location
Inverness
LOL! Scottish Government spending wisely, I just spat out my tepid tea!

The trouble with ScotRail is the product is so haphazard that you never know what you’re going to get and that uncertainty puts me off travelling with them.

Should be an HST but you get a crammed 170, should be a trolley but nothing - and it’s all very well people saying buy it at the station, but if you’re travelling from Mallaig to Glasgow that’s 5 hours on the train!

I could use LNER but despise the 800s for how uncomfortable they are.

So as I have to drive to the station anyway, I generally now stay in the car and drive to where I need to go or the airport instead! It’s comfortable and I can stop for refreshments wherever I like!

ScotRail really need to get a grip on their product and the consistency to temp me back - if they can make these 222s into something good then I may give them a go (do I think they can? Probably not!)
And you've hit the nail on the head. It's about consistency. Nobody cares how the coffee is served as long as it's available. Hopefully the 222s have better reliability and a consistent product.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top