• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail Former SPT Area Rolling Stock Replacement Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

XAM2175

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2016
Messages
3,471
Location
Glasgow
I do hope the 318's stay for a while yet. Their seats are big, well padded and comfy. When the time does come to renew them I really hope they maintain or improve the level of comfort.
Too close to the floor, too deeply reclined, and with the laughably stupid window alignment. Give me a 380 any day.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
13,195
I do hope the 318's stay for a while yet. Their seats are big, well padded and comfy. When the time does come to renew them I really hope they maintain or improve the level of comfort.
The seats in the 385's 156's etc are truly awful. Even the 1st class seats are uncomfortable.
They will stay for at least four years, likely more.
 

Peter0124

Established Member
Joined
20 Nov 2016
Messages
2,753
Location
Glasgow
Walk through gangways would be the biggest improvement up here I feel and would improve both passenger comfort and revenue collection.
Walk through gangways can be a curse though if there's a lot of noise further up the train then you'll still hear it and can't move to a quieter coach (eg loud crying baby)
 

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Joined
1 Feb 2017
Messages
2,475
Location
Edinburgh
I think in a situation when the replacement happens, it's believed the 318/320 and 334 fleets will all go at once.

Embarrassing that the 334s are going so early.
 

DanNCL

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2017
Messages
5,123
Location
County Durham
If Scotland doesn't want the 334s we'll happily have them in the North of England along with some more wires, finally give those awful 150s the boot.
 

Bikeman78

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2018
Messages
6,190
Absolutely. They haven’t been hammered like the units down south or even the Neville Hill 321/9 fleet which were hammering up and down to Doncaster regularly throughout their life. A good unit would happily hit the ton downhill between Sandal and Fitzwilliam (cough not 902 cough).

I last travelled on the SR units in 2019 and they were spot on.
The 318s used to be hammered on the routes through Kilwinning. I was surprised at how quickly they got up to 90 mph. By contrast the 320s have had an easy life. What's the maximum speed between Drumgelloch and Helensburgh?

The only place either class gets to 90 mph now is between Carluke and Lanark Jn. I'm surprised that they bothered to upgrade the 320s to 90 for the sake of maybe three minutes of running above 75 on one route.
 

Peter0124

Established Member
Joined
20 Nov 2016
Messages
2,753
Location
Glasgow
The 318s used to be hammered on the routes through Kilwinning. I was surprised at how quickly they got up to 90 mph. By contrast the 320s have had an easy life. What's the maximum speed between Drumgelloch and Helensburgh?

The only place either class gets to 90 mph now is between Carluke and Lanark Jn. I'm surprised that they bothered to upgrade the 320s to 90 for the sake of maybe three minutes of running above 75 on one route.
Some can reach 90mph passing Newton on the fast lines when running Lanark services, though most probably only reach about 80-85 before requiring to slow again.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top