• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Dispatcher

j1872

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2024
Messages
14
Location
Edinburgh
Just sat a dispatcher Medical for Scotrail. Passed everything including eye test. However I “failed” in the Ishahara coloured dot book. I’ve read a thread that these are old school and inaccurate in a sense. Would Scotrail accept me?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JModulo

Member
Joined
17 Nov 2013
Messages
589
Location
67A
Just sat a dispatcher Medical for Scotrail. Passed everything including eye test. However I “failed” in the Ishahara coloured dot book. I’ve read a thread that these are old school and inaccurate in a sense. Would Scotrail accept me?
Im afraid not. I also had the same issue when applying for a maintenance position with them.
 

j1872

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2024
Messages
14
Location
Edinburgh
Last stage as well ‍♂️‍♂️. I’ve read up that RMT were pushing for those that failed it, can do a more accurate test?
Im afraid not. I also had the same issue when applying for a maintenance position with them.
 

JModulo

Member
Joined
17 Nov 2013
Messages
589
Location
67A
Last stage as well ‍♂️‍♂️. I’ve read up that RMT were pushing for those that failed it, can do a more accurate test?
Yep, sounds the same position I was in (I had been offered the role subject to medical). Thing is I knew I was colourblind before any of it to which they denied being told.
 

j1872

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2024
Messages
14
Location
Edinburgh
Yep, sounds the same position I was in (I had been offered the role subject to medical). Thing is I knew I was colourblind before any of it to which they denied being told.
Honestly disheartening to say the least. Again, I have read up that RMT were pushing for a more accurate test for this as the Ishahara is “outdated”. So one can only just wait to hear back from them next week. Thing is, I can clearly differ from Red & green ‍♂️
 

j1872

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2024
Messages
14
Location
Edinburgh
Cheers mate, I had a read of this earlier on but didn’t quite get an answer as such. They mention that “another test may be used” but no example of anyone been given that alternative test
 

j1872

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2024
Messages
14
Location
Edinburgh
Yep, sounds the same position I was in (I had been offered the role subject to medical). Thing is I knew I was colourblind before any of it to which they denied being told.
Got an update finally. Scotrail’s Occ health provider Optima are going to let me resit the colour vision test using the CAD test. So all going well if I pass this, jobs mine . So id keep an eye out in the future and re-apply
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,032
Location
London
Got an update finally. Scotrail’s Occ health provider Optima are going to let me resit the colour vision test using the CAD test. So all going well if I pass this, jobs mine . So id keep an eye out in the future and re-apply

Fair enough. Good to hear Scotrail stuck with you when they could have probably very easily said "thanks, but no thanks" and found someone else.
 

seeitsoon

Member
Joined
2 Sep 2025
Messages
16
Location
Edinburgh
Got an update finally. Scotrail’s Occ health provider Optima are going to let me resit the colour vision test using the CAD test. So all going well if I pass this, jobs mine . So id keep an eye out in the future and re-apply
Hi, how did you manage to get them to do the CAD test? Did you have to ask or is it automatic?
 

j1872

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2024
Messages
14
Location
Edinburgh
Hi, how did you manage to get them to do the CAD test? Did you have to ask or is it automatic?
Well ScotRail HR weren’t aware of the updated policy. So I pushed for a retest, took a while mind but that was over the Xmas and NY break.
 

seeitsoon

Member
Joined
2 Sep 2025
Messages
16
Location
Edinburgh
Well ScotRail HR weren’t aware of the updated policy. So I pushed for a retest, took a while mind but that was over the Xmas and NY break.
Thanks for the quick response. I’m not sure if it will effect me but seen a few posts about the other test being old fashioned.
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,032
Location
London
Well ScotRail HR weren’t aware of the updated policy. So I pushed for a retest, took a while mind but that was over the Xmas and NY break.

Did you get the position in the end?
 

Top