• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail - Conductor Recruitment and Discussion

esmil84

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2025
Messages
6
Location
Falkirk
After waiting 7 months from initially applying, I have my assessment centre tomorrow
I’ve been told in my email that it’s the verbal and the concentration test tomorrow, is there anything else I should expect outwith these assessments. Like do I sit down and chat with anyone, should I have anything else prepped other than the instruction of just the verbal and concentration tests??
Any tips for what to expect on the day would be amazing :) TIA
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Charladenz

Member
Joined
17 Aug 2020
Messages
97
Location
Highland
Hi,

I applied for a conductor role with scotrail a few weeks ago , I got invited to an online assessment , I sat it and have got informed today I have passed and met the standard required and they'd be in touch about next stage of the process ..

I am wondering what the next stage is , I've looked through forums but got no where.. Thanks in Advance !
SCAAT & RAAT at the assessment centre Glasgow, alongside a verbal reasoning test.

They will send over practice materials for you so you know what to expect ahead of the day. Good luck with it.
 

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Joined
1 Feb 2017
Messages
2,475
Location
Edinburgh
After waiting 7 months from initially applying, I have my assessment centre tomorrow
I’ve been told in my email that it’s the verbal and the concentration test tomorrow, is there anything else I should expect outwith these assessments. Like do I sit down and chat with anyone, should I have anything else prepped other than the instruction of just the verbal and concentration tests??
Any tips for what to expect on the day would be amazing :) TIA
Nope. It'll just be the SCAAT and RAAT.

However, do expect there to be quite a bit of waiting around, especially at the start.

Once the tests are done, you'll be free to leave. It'll also be with candidates from all over the place, I believe my assessment centre had people who applied for Inverness and Wick.

The only thing I can advise is to practice, practice and practice. If you know someone who's been through the tests before, they'll be good to practice with as they'll be able to help you spot where you went wrong. Even practicing for half an hour a day on your own works as well, just time yourself according to the instructions.

Good luck!
 

Scotrail84

On Moderation
Joined
5 Jul 2010
Messages
2,977
Shapes test SCAAT- take your time and listen to what the tester is telling you, do not try and finish the page as you will 100% make lots of errors if you do. 10-12 accurate lines is usually suffice.

RAAT test - read the passages carefully then pick 1 of the multiple choice answers. All the info is there in front of you. Again do not worry if you do not finish, just try to be as accurate as possible.
 

CS1607

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2025
Messages
8
Location
Glasgow
i applied on 17th jan and it shut on the 27th, haven’t heard anything so far. portal jus says it’s still under consideration
 

Charladenz

Member
Joined
17 Aug 2020
Messages
97
Location
Highland
i applied on 17th jan and it shut on the 27th, haven’t heard anything so far. portal jus says it’s still under consideration
No news is good news, they will invite you for an online assessment first, then if you pass that you'll be scheduled for the assessment centre. It can be a long process from each point.

Good luck :)
 

CS1607

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2025
Messages
8
Location
Glasgow
No news is good news, they will invite you for an online assessment first, then if you pass that you'll be scheduled for the assessment centre. It can be a long process from each point.

Good luck :)
yeah i’ve just noticed others saying it can take a few months, thanks for your advice anyway it’s appreciated
 

kaz2024

Member
Joined
11 Mar 2024
Messages
17
Location
Glasgow
After waiting 7 months from initially applying, I have my assessment centre tomorrow
I’ve been told in my email that it’s the verbal and the concentration test tomorrow, is there anything else I should expect outwith these assessments. Like do I sit down and chat with anyone, should I have anything else prepped other than the instruction of just the verbal and concentration tests??
Any tips for what to expect on the day would be amazing :) TIA
How did you get on ? Hope it went alright for you
 

nbm199195

Member
Joined
21 Jul 2024
Messages
14
Location
Glasgow
Hi,

I applied for a conductor role with scotrail a few weeks ago , I got invited to an online assessment , I sat it and have got informed today I have passed and met the standard required and they'd be in touch about next stage of the process ..

I am wondering what the next stage is , I've looked through forums but got no where.. Thanks in Advance !
Could you please tell us how the online assessment looks like? Is that tough? Have you applied for the vacancy they recently closed?
 

kaz2024

Member
Joined
11 Mar 2024
Messages
17
Location
Glasgow
Could you please tell us how the online assessment looks like? Is that tough? Have you applied for the vacancy they recently closed?
Not tough but you have to think about your answer ,it is multiple choice questions based on customer service scenarios

Yeah I applied 13th Jan, they closed the applications earlier than the 27th jan

Hope it helps
 

kaz2024

Member
Joined
11 Mar 2024
Messages
17
Location
Glasgow
I have been given my date for my assessment! Now time to get my head in the books!
 
Last edited:

Charladenz

Member
Joined
17 Aug 2020
Messages
97
Location
Highland
I have been given my date for my assessment! Not time to get my head in the books!

Brilliant, I'd recommend using the practice booklet and also for SCAAT practice I purchased the OPC tests online and printed them off. Definitely helped my precision on the day.
 

kaz2024

Member
Joined
11 Mar 2024
Messages
17
Location
Glasgow
That was quick! Do they send you practice materials? Good luck!
Yeah they sent 1 practice book , with about 3/4 different parts , I have a verbal test , ticket selling and Concentration Test

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Brilliant, I'd recommend using the practice booklet and also for SCAAT practice I purchased the OPC tests online and printed them off. Definitely helped my precision on the day.
Thank you ! I'll take that into account
 

Scotrail84

On Moderation
Joined
5 Jul 2010
Messages
2,977
Yeah they sent 1 practice book , with about 3/4 different parts , I have a verbal test , ticket selling and Concentration Test

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Thank you ! I'll take that into account
Have they brought that back again? That was removed for a long time.
 

Charladenz

Member
Joined
17 Aug 2020
Messages
97
Location
Highland
Have they brought that back again? That was removed for a long time.
When I had my assessment day I'm sure they said that they had taken it away from the test day as 'they' presuming ScotRail training team had deemed that it can be done/learnt as part of the induction course.

I'd be interested to know @kaz2024 if you had to do it on your assessment day.
 

Scotrail84

On Moderation
Joined
5 Jul 2010
Messages
2,977
When I had my assessment day I'm sure they said that they had taken it away from the test day as 'they' presuming ScotRail training team had deemed that it can be done/learnt as part of the induction course.

I'd be interested to know @kaz2024 if you had to do it on your assessment day.
You would get ticket issuing training during the Conductors commercial course. That used to be 2 weeks worth years ago but I don't think it will that long nowadays.
 

Charladenz

Member
Joined
17 Aug 2020
Messages
97
Location
Highland
You would get ticket issuing training during the Conductors commercial course. That used to be 2 weeks worth years ago but I don't think it will that long nowadays.

Yeah, you are right. 2 days initial online training, 2 weeks rules & 1 week commercial - then back to your depot. I'm sure it flys by.
 

kaz2024

Member
Joined
11 Mar 2024
Messages
17
Location
Glasgow
When I had my assessment day I'm sure they said that they had taken it away from the test day as 'they' presuming ScotRail training team had deemed that it can be done/learnt as part of the induction course.

I'd be interested to know @kaz2024 if you had to do it on your assessment day.
Hi ,

Sorry, it says a verbal test and safety & concentration test .. within the booklet it self it has a ticket selling and checking test(maths more so & validity of tickets) , unsure if this will actually take part on the actual assessment day as I can see others have said that this isn't part , but it also says on correspondence that there is no role play ticket selling/ checking (there is a part about role play within the booklet)

Then there is not a safety part on the booklet just a concentration part .. now I'm getting flustered with it
 

Scotrail84

On Moderation
Joined
5 Jul 2010
Messages
2,977
Hi ,

Sorry, it says a verbal test and safety & concentration test .. within the booklet it self it has a ticket selling and checking test(maths more so & validity of tickets) , unsure if this will actually take part on the actual assessment day as I can see others have said that this isn't part , but it also says on correspondence that there is no role play ticket selling/ checking (there is a part about role play within the booklet)

Then there is not a safety part on the booklet just a concentration part .. now I'm getting flustered with it
You will definitely do the safety and concentration test. That will either be the dots test or the shapes test but the concept is the same for both, just make sure you pay attention to what the instructor says to you and take your time, nobody finishes the page, and if there do then they've made a whole load or errors.

You will also do the reading and extracting information test, you'll get a booklet with paragraphs of scenarios and you have to answer the questions by reading and extracting the info from said paragraphs.

Pass those two and you're almost home and hosed. Just the interview and medical to follow if you pass them.
 

Samsanbor

Member
Joined
28 Oct 2015
Messages
104
Location
Scotland
Hi ,

Sorry, it says a verbal test and safety & concentration test .. within the booklet it self it has a ticket selling and checking test(maths more so & validity of tickets) , unsure if this will actually take part on the actual assessment day as I can see others have said that this isn't part , but it also says on correspondence that there is no role play ticket selling/ checking (there is a part about role play within the booklet)

Then there is not a safety part on the booklet just a concentration part .. now I'm getting flustered with it
Assessment day will include:
SJT (situational judgment test)
RAAT test (verbal test)
SCAAT test (concentration test)

Nothing else.

If successful, a face to face interview at a depot will follow on a different date.

Then will be medical, if successful to interview.
 

Scotrail84

On Moderation
Joined
5 Jul 2010
Messages
2,977
Assessment day will include:
SJT (situational judgment test)
RAAT test (verbal test)
SCAAT test (concentration test)

Nothing else.

If successful, a face to face interview at a depot will follow on a different date.

Then will be medical, if successful to interview.

Are you sure this is part of the day? I know a person who just done the tests and they only had top do the SJT and the SCAAT, nothing else.
 

Samsanbor

Member
Joined
28 Oct 2015
Messages
104
Location
Scotland
Are you sure this is part of the day? I know a person who just done the tests and they only had top do the SJT and the SCAAT, nothing else.

I was speaking recently to an internal candidate and he had to do all 3 of them.
It could have changed more recently though, not sure now after reading your post tbh.

As per the OP regarding RAAT test having to do it or not, won't be a big issue, the test doesn’t really need any practice, pretty straightforward.
 

kaz2024

Member
Joined
11 Mar 2024
Messages
17
Location
Glasgow
Thanks for everyone's replies, I have been focusing on verbal test and concentration , going to pick up more sheets I have printed on the concentration test from University library ! , verbal as well isn't my strong point but I have 4 days to practice
 

Charladenz

Member
Joined
17 Aug 2020
Messages
97
Location
Highland
What did the RAAT involve then?
The test was of multiple-choice questions based on paragraph of text - which was around rules & instructions. It was a timed test but was relatively easy.

Eg - When working on the line track workers must wear correct PPE. This includes white hard hats, yellow high visibility vests, steel cap toe shoes, torch light and have their identity cards visible. Lookouts should in addition wear orange high visibility vests instead of a yellow one and have with them two green blow whistles. Blow whistles should be checked before commencing work on the line.

1. What colour high visibility vests should track workers wear?

Yellow
Orange
White
Green
 

Scotrail84

On Moderation
Joined
5 Jul 2010
Messages
2,977
The test was of multiple-choice questions based on paragraph of text - which was around rules & instructions. It was a timed test but was relatively easy.

Eg - When working on the line track workers must wear correct PPE. This includes white hard hats, yellow high visibility vests, steel cap toe shoes, torch light and have their identity cards visible. Lookouts should in addition wear orange high visibility vests instead of a yellow one and have with them two green blow whistles. Blow whistles should be checked before commencing work on the line.

1. What colour high visibility vests should track workers wear?

Yellow
Orange
White
Green
Got you, thats the reading and extracting information test.

SJT is online

RAAT and SCAAT are done in Atrium under test conditions. Makes sense now.
 

Top