• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail - Conductor Recruitment and Discussion

nbm199195

Member
Joined
21 Jul 2024
Messages
14
Location
Glasgow
Hi
Is anyone applied for conductor job based on Edinburgh waverly? The closing date was on 29th of June. Has any recieved assessment dates? My application says under consideration.. What does that mean? Can i hope?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Charladenz

Member
Joined
17 Aug 2020
Messages
97
Location
Highland
Hi
Is anyone applied for conductor job based on Edinburgh waverly? Vacancy closed in 29th of June? Anyone received assessment dates? My application still says under consideration..

I don't know if you've read the entire thread before posting this, but.... the railway is in it's own league for recruitment timescales. You can wait, weeks & many months to hear anything from first stage assessments to interview etc. Hopefully you hear soon Good luck.
 

Scotrail84

On Moderation
Joined
5 Jul 2010
Messages
2,977
I don't know if you've read the entire thread before posting this, but.... the railway is in it's own league for recruitment timescales. You can wait, weeks & many months to hear anything from first stage assessments to interview etc. Hopefully you hear soon Good luck.

Agree, some people are put through the entire recruitment process from sending in an application to being offered a position in a matter of 2/3 weeks, occasionally even quicker. Others wait months or ever a year plus just to be sent for assessments, particularly driving positions. I can't make sense of it personally. :lol:
 

nbm199195

Member
Joined
21 Jul 2024
Messages
14
Location
Glasgow
I havent recieved any rejection email yet.. I am on maternity leave now.. I mentioned that in the application form.. I dont know whether thats the reason they didnt reply yet
 

Charladenz

Member
Joined
17 Aug 2020
Messages
97
Location
Highland
I havent recieved any rejection email yet.. I am on maternity leave now.. I mentioned that in the application form.. I dont know whether thats the reason they didnt reply yet
I think they are most likely just doing it station by station. Wherever is needed the most will get processed first? Honestly, it takes months sometimes- I applied in Jan 2024, did the classroom tests in March and was interviewed in April and passed and placed in reserves (as alot of others were too)
 

scotrail1976

New Member
Joined
30 May 2024
Messages
2
Location
Fife
I don't know if you've read the entire thread before posting this, but.... the railway is in it's own league for recruitment timescales. You can wait, weeks & many months to hear anything from first stage assessments to interview etc. Hopefully you hear soon Good luck.
Hi, I got a call yesterday and I'm going for an interview on Monday.
 

LockKeeper86

Member
Joined
6 Jul 2024
Messages
20
Location
Stirling
I would recommend even getting a job as Gateline within the railway, one of the best jobs I ever had. Loved it.

(Now a Conductor after starting on the Gates, then on train as a Ticket Examiner)

Definitely! Honestly, it's what I want to start with... I was going to apply for a job share in Perth, Gateline Staff, but missed the deadline...

I'm applying for costumer service staff at Pitlochry right now. I'm in Clackmannanshire so would have to relocate and idk how to demonstrate that in my application. I also have a 7 years gap in employment I'm worried is not in my favour right now.

Congrats on the conductor job!
 

AMD

Member
Joined
6 Dec 2017
Messages
774
Is anyone applied for conductor job based on Edinburgh waverly? Vacancy closed in 29th of June? Anyone received assessment dates?
Yes, assessment day on Glasgow was last week. Interviews are taking place this week/ next week.
 

AG78UK

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2023
Messages
52
Location
-
Definitely! Honestly, it's what I want to start with... I was going to apply for a job share in Perth, Gateline Staff, but missed the deadline...

I'm applying for costumer service staff at Pitlochry right now. I'm in Clackmannanshire so would have to relocate and idk how to demonstrate that in my application. I also have a 7 years gap in employment I'm worried is not in my favour right now.

Congrats on the conductor job!

Regarding the gap in your career / employment - life happens and this is your chance to explain in your application what you have been doing (for example learning, studying, carer for someone) whatever it might have been turn this into something you have learned from, how you would put the skills learned into the new role.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

That means no hope for my application.
Unless you hear from them saying you have been unsuccessful then keep in there.

I know how it feels seeing and hearing other people moving through the process but you aren’t.

Hang in there
 

AMD

Member
Joined
6 Dec 2017
Messages
774
That means no hope for my application
It means just keep trying. There's a large number of conductors going driving at the moment and this flow is likely to continue for a while yet, so there will be more vacancies in the not too distant future.
 

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Joined
1 Feb 2017
Messages
2,475
Location
Edinburgh
I’d assume that means my chances of getting a new assessment day are all but non-existent now.

I couldn’t make my original one but they took down my availability and said they would let me know… but I’m not hopeful.


EDIT:

Just got offered a new one, I’ll eat my words.
 
Last edited:

fozzy33

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2024
Messages
17
Location
Scotland
I’d assume that means my chances of getting a new assessment day are all but non-existent now.

I couldn’t make my original one but they took down my availability and said they would let me know… but I’m not hopeful.
Unfortunately that appears to be their way. I couldn’t make an interview because I was out of the country, was told it would be rescheduled. Here I am 3 months later assuming I’m still on some type of waiting list or reserve list, but it’s hard to know.
 

LockKeeper86

Member
Joined
6 Jul 2024
Messages
20
Location
Stirling
Just heard back from scotrail today for the Conductor job at Stirling depot. The email says 'We’re pleased to be able to invite you to the next stage of our application process which requires the completion of an online assessment.'

Very happy, and guessing it is a SCAAT test? I'm a bit worried because I'm 100% an experiential learner who can mess things up first time if anxious or unsure. My plan is to find a mock test online and do that first!
 

Scotrail84

On Moderation
Joined
5 Jul 2010
Messages
2,977
Just heard back from scotrail today for the Conductor job at Stirling depot. The email says 'We’re pleased to be able to invite you to the next stage of our application process which requires the completion of an online assessment.'

Very happy, and guessing it is a SCAAT test? I'm a bit worried because I'm 100% an experiential learner who can mess things up first time if anxious or unsure. My plan is to find a mock test online and do that first!

Thats not the SCAAT test, that is done in the classroom under test conditions along with the reading and extracting information test. The online assessment is more customer focussed like "what would you do if" questions. Pretty straightforward and mostly common sense. Remember though, if any of the questions relate to safety then that is priority. Just take your time to read the questions carefully, the answers are multiple choice, so its there in front of you. Good luck.
 

LockKeeper86

Member
Joined
6 Jul 2024
Messages
20
Location
Stirling
Thats not the SCAAT test, that is done in the classroom under test conditions along with the reading and extracting information test. The online assessment is more customer focussed like "what would you do if" questions. Pretty straightforward and mostly common sense. Remember though, if any of the questions relate to safety then that is priority. Just take your time to read the questions carefully, the answers are multiple choice, so its there in front of you. Good luck.
Ha yes, that makes sense. Thank you.
 

Glasgow2024

Member
Joined
25 Jun 2024
Messages
9
Location
Glasgow
Hi All,

Looking for advice, i have applied for the role of conductor at Scotrail at several locations. The applications were submitted at the start of this year and still show “Application under review”

I notice that Blue Arrow have also started recruiting on behalf of Scotrail. My experience with Blue arrow has been abysmal. They are so unprofessional and dont respond to emails or return your phone calls.

Has anyone else had this experience ? I am seriously contemplating putting a complaint in, not that it will get me anywhere….I wonder if Scotrail know how unprofessional Blue arrow are with their prospective candidates.
 

Fat Pav

Member
Joined
6 Mar 2019
Messages
74
Just heard back from scotrail today for the Conductor job at Stirling depot. The email says 'We’re pleased to be able to invite you to the next stage of our application process which requires the completion of an online assessment.'

Very happy, and guessing it is a SCAAT test? I'm a bit worried because I'm 100% an experiential learner who can mess things up first time if anxious or unsure. My plan is to find a mock test online and do that first!
If you have a windows based computer, you can download the Group Bourdon tool from this site (found in the driver assessment thread) and change it to SCAAT.

If you can, I’d recommend printed them off and practicing on paper. I did exactly this above and passed it second time round after failing the first. The tool was invaluable for my preparation and would definitely recommend sinking as much time into this as possible.
 

AG78UK

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2023
Messages
52
Location
-
Hi All,

Looking for advice, i have applied for the role of conductor at Scotrail at several locations. The applications were submitted at the start of this year and still show “Application under review”

I notice that Blue Arrow have also started recruiting on behalf of Scotrail. My experience with Blue arrow has been abysmal. They are so unprofessional and dont respond to emails or return your phone calls.

Has anyone else had this experience ? I am seriously contemplating putting a complaint in, not that it will get me anywhere….I wonder if Scotrail know how unprofessional Blue arrow are with their prospective candidates.
It’s unusual for Blue Arrow to be unresponsive, from the people I have spoken with they had nothing but good things to say about their processes.

Have all of your applications been with them or have you done any directly through the ScotRail website?
 

DMac81

New Member
Joined
17 Apr 2024
Messages
3
Location
inverness
Thanks for that @Scotrail84 :)

I'll put being in the reserve pool right out of my mind now then.
I’d heard the same thing so emailed to ask for update. I was told there was currently no movement/ update but I was still in reserve and would be emailed when a position became available.
Trying not to dwell on it too much and just hope that I’ll get an in at some point.
Also now waiting to hear about interview for train dispatcher after hearing I didn’t have to re-do assessment centre since I already passed.
 

LockKeeper86

Member
Joined
6 Jul 2024
Messages
20
Location
Stirling
If you have a windows based computer, you can download the Group Bourdon tool from this site (found in the driver assessment thread) and change it to SCAAT.

If you can, I’d recommend printed them off and practicing on paper. I did exactly this above and passed it second time round after failing the first. The tool was invaluable for my preparation and would definitely recommend sinking as much time into this as possible.

I was planning to do that on my laptop. Just got the invitation for the assessment in Glasgow next week. Verbal and safety and concentration test.
 
Last edited:

LockKeeper86

Member
Joined
6 Jul 2024
Messages
20
Location
Stirling
How did your assessment go?
Thanks for asking! It went well. I had practiced on paper a fair bit. Unfortunately, just got the email saying I wasn't successful in meeting the required standard. Haven't asked for feedback yet.

I'm proud of myself for making it this far, especially after a long gap in employment and low confidence. I have to say their recruitment process is really top tier. The test conditions were very fair and inclusive, too. If suitable, I'll definitely apply again in the future.

Meanwhile, I'll keep my eye out for a Gateline or ticket sales job.
 

AG78UK

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2023
Messages
52
Location
-
Thanks for asking! It went well. I had practiced on paper a fair bit. Unfortunately, just got the email saying I wasn't successful in meeting the required standard. Haven't asked for feedback yet.

I'm proud of myself for making it this far, especially after a long gap in employment and low confidence. I have to say their recruitment process is really top tier. The test conditions were very fair and inclusive, too. If suitable, I'll definitely apply again in the future.

Meanwhile, I'll keep my eye out for a Gateline or ticket sales job.
Well Done on getting to the assessment stage, many many people never get that far.

You know now what is expected during testing etc and will smash it out the park on your next application.
 

Fat Pav

Member
Joined
6 Mar 2019
Messages
74
Thanks for asking! It went well. I had practiced on paper a fair bit. Unfortunately, just got the email saying I wasn't successful in meeting the required standard. Haven't asked for feedback yet.

I'm proud of myself for making it this far, especially after a long gap in employment and low confidence. I have to say their recruitment process is really top tier. The test conditions were very fair and inclusive, too. If suitable, I'll definitely apply again in the future.

Meanwhile, I'll keep my eye out for a Gateline or ticket sales job.
I didn’t pass mines the first time and really hammered the preparations the next time round. You only get two attempts at the assessments and you can’t apply again unless the tests they use are changed, be mindful of that part. A career in the railway is still very good, even if it’s not as a Conductor. I was a Ticket Examiner for a number of years and loved that job as well.

Defin recommen pursuing other jobs in Scotrail if they ever come up in the interim.
 

nbm199195

Member
Joined
21 Jul 2024
Messages
14
Location
Glasgow
C
Thanks for asking! It went well. I had practiced on paper a fair bit. Unfortunately, just got the email saying I wasn't successful in meeting the required standard. Haven't asked for feedback yet.

I'm proud of myself for making it this far, especially after a long gap in employment and low confidence. I have to say their recruitment process is really top tier. The test conditions were very fair and inclusive, too. If suitable, I'll definitely apply again in the future.

Meanwhile, I'll keep my eye out for a Gateline or ticket sales job.
Congrats for getting the assessment stage.. Hopefully next .
 

Top