• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail - Conductor Recruitment and Discussion

fozzy33

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2024
Messages
17
Location
Scotland
I know someone who has an interview for Perth depot on Tuesday. Its still going ahead to their knowledge.

When is yours now scheduled for? If you don't mind saying of course.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Anyone got any idea what questions to expect for a Conductors interview? TIA

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Anyone had an interview in the last week or so?
Oh interesting, I was told on the phone they’d rescheduled them completely. Did they say how it went?

Last I heard they were still trying to arrange the diaries for the panel.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Scotrail84

On Moderation
Joined
5 Jul 2010
Messages
2,977
Oh interesting, I was told on the phone they’d rescheduled them completely. Did they say how it went?

Last I heard they were still trying to arrange the diaries for the panel.
Spoke to my mate the other day. He was informed on the Wednesday, the day after the interview that he’d been successful. Think he’s still got to do a medical though.
 

fozzy33

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2024
Messages
17
Location
Scotland
Spoke to my mate the other day. He was informed on the Wednesday, the day after the interview that he’d been successful. Think he’s still got to do a medical though.
Aw fantastic, congratulations to him. Hopefully we’ll all be colleagues soon enough
 

scotrail1976

New Member
Joined
30 May 2024
Messages
2
Location
Fife
Anyone heard anything in regards to Perth or Levenmouth applications? Profile just says under 'further' consideration. Been like that for a few months now with no contact from HR. I keep thinking I should email for an update but always bottle it in case they think I'm being a pest. :D
Hey, have you heard anything back from recruitment? I got an email in November to say I was successful at the assessment centre and they would be in contact. I've heard nothing!
 

Scotrail84

On Moderation
Joined
5 Jul 2010
Messages
2,977
Hey, have you heard anything back from recruitment? I got an email in November to say I was successful at the assessment centre and they would be in contact. I've heard nothing!
Yes, I have had an interview and been successful and I start next month. Maybe worth dropping them an email to see whats going on with your application.
 

Glasgow2024

Member
Joined
25 Jun 2024
Messages
9
Location
Glasgow
Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone else is in the same position and waiting for feedback or progression from Scotrail on vacancies at Glasgow Queen Street Station as Train Conductor ?

I applied back in February, my application still shows under review, but not heard any communication and I have since noted Scotrail are advertising for positions in Edinburgh, Stirling ect. When I login it still says "Application Under Review"

I know Blue Arrow were taking some responsibility for candidates at one point, but I applied directly through Scotrail website and not yet heard anything.
Was hoping someone could give me a steer on the application and likely hood of progression.

Take Care, any help appreciated folks, :)
 

Scotrail84

On Moderation
Joined
5 Jul 2010
Messages
2,977
Email them mate, ask them if theres any update and say you're still keen to join ScotRail.
 

Glasgow2024

Member
Joined
25 Jun 2024
Messages
9
Location
Glasgow
Email them mate, ask them if theres any update and say you're still keen to join ScotRail.
Hiya Scotrail84, I emailed them a few times in relation but not heard anything. I think they must be inundated with applications at the minute. Fingers crossed I hear something soon.
 

LockKeeper86

Member
Joined
6 Jul 2024
Messages
20
Location
Stirling
Hello everyone,

I applied for a conductor job in Stirling. Sent my application via email on June 25th and it's currently under consideration.

Did anyone else apply?

My understanding is that they deal with a huge volume of applications so I'm expecting it to take a while. It's my first time applying in the railway and also my first time applying for a job in a while.

I think my application is good but doesn't mean it'll necessarily stand out as amazing. If I'm not successful this time I'll apply again and try to add to my skillset and experience in the meanwhile. I really want a job on the railway (moving from third sector / care work.)

Someone told me I should get a job as a train cleaner as a way to get a foot in and apply internally but that I don't think they know what they're talking about? Isn't a cleaner hired by a cleaning company, technically not Scotrail and completely different skillset.
 

Samsanbor

Member
Joined
28 Oct 2015
Messages
104
Location
Scotland
Hello everyone,

I applied for a conductor job in Stirling. Sent my application via email on June 25th and it's currently under consideration.

Did anyone else apply?

My understanding is that they deal with a huge volume of applications so I'm expecting it to take a while. It's my first time applying in the railway and also my first time applying for a job in a while.

I think my application is good but doesn't mean it'll necessarily stand out as amazing. If I'm not successful this time I'll apply again and try to add to my skillset and experience in the meanwhile. I really want a job on the railway (moving from third sector / care work.)

Someone told me I should get a job as a train cleaner as a way to get a foot in and apply internally but that I don't think they know what they're talking about? Isn't a cleaner hired by a cleaning company, technically not Scotrail and completely different skillset.
Scotrail has their own cleaner, are called train presentation team, you will see occasionally vacancies across depots.
Hope you'll get through the guard job though, good luck!
 

Scotrail84

On Moderation
Joined
5 Jul 2010
Messages
2,977
Hello everyone,

I applied for a conductor job in Stirling. Sent my application via email on June 25th and it's currently under consideration.

Did anyone else apply?

My understanding is that they deal with a huge volume of applications so I'm expecting it to take a while. It's my first time applying in the railway and also my first time applying for a job in a while.

I think my application is good but doesn't mean it'll necessarily stand out as amazing. If I'm not successful this time I'll apply again and try to add to my skillset and experience in the meanwhile. I really want a job on the railway (moving from third sector / care work.)

Someone told me I should get a job as a train cleaner as a way to get a foot in and apply internally but that I don't think they know what they're talking about? Isn't a cleaner hired by a cleaning company, technically not Scotrail and completely different skillset.

It's rare that Stirling depot gets advertised externally because its a very small depot and most people move there internally. Hopefully you get through to the tests and interviews.
 

CloudyManday

Member
Joined
9 Mar 2023
Messages
29
Location
Glasgow
Hello everyone,

I applied for a conductor job in Stirling. Sent my application via email on June 25th and it's currently under consideration.

Did anyone else apply?

My understanding is that they deal with a huge volume of applications so I'm expecting it to take a while. It's my first time applying in the railway and also my first time applying for a job in a while.

I think my application is good but doesn't mean it'll necessarily stand out as amazing. If I'm not successful this time I'll apply again and try to add to my skillset and experience in the meanwhile. I really want a job on the railway (moving from third sector / care work.)

Someone told me I should get a job as a train cleaner as a way to get a foot in and apply internally but that I don't think they know what they're talking about? Isn't a cleaner hired by a cleaning company, technically not Scotrail and completely different skillset.
In ScotRail, foot in the door tends to be gateline or hospitality. We've had quite a few dispatchers at GLC from outside the railway too. As for conductor roles, nobody I know that has applied internally in the latest recruitment drive have heard back yet. Summer in ScotRail tends to be even slower than normal times.
 

Scotrail84

On Moderation
Joined
5 Jul 2010
Messages
2,977
In ScotRail, foot in the door tends to be gateline or hospitality. We've had quite a few dispatchers at GLC from outside the railway too. As for conductor roles, nobody I know that has applied internally in the latest recruitment drive have heard back yet. Summer in ScotRail tends to be even slower than normal times.
If you want to be a guard or driver you're always better trying yo get into an operational role like dispatcher first so you're able to get experience about the network and how things work as well as the safety side of things. Easier said than done of course.
 

Fat Pav

Member
Joined
6 Mar 2019
Messages
74
Thanks for the feedback and input. Appreciate it.
I would recommend even getting a job as Gateline within the railway, one of the best jobs I ever had. Loved it.

(Now a Conductor after starting on the Gates, then on train as a Ticket Examiner)
 

Charladenz

Member
Joined
17 Aug 2020
Messages
97
Location
Highland
Anyone know if there are trainees for Inverness in the training school just now?

Just a comment made in passing in a discussion about the role... have any of the Inverness reserve pool heard anything?
 

Scotrail84

On Moderation
Joined
5 Jul 2010
Messages
2,977
Anyone know if there are trainees for Inverness in the training school just now?

Just a comment made in passing in a discussion about the role... have any of the Inverness reserve pool heard anything?

There are trainees for Inverness going through the school just now.
 

nbm199195

Member
Joined
21 Jul 2024
Messages
14
Location
Glasgow
Hi
Is anyone applied for conductor job based on Edinburgh waverly? Vacancy closed in 29th of June? Anyone received assessment dates? My application still says under consideration..
 

Top