• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail 380 shown to press in Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Stig

Member
Joined
20 Jan 2009
Messages
364
Has anyone got square-on pictures of the ends of other Desiro classes for comparison?

AltonTowers2009058.jpg
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
Hmmm 334 are pants, but the 318's are quite nice after their recent refurb - beats the 158's!

Both trains are good, and I'm looking forward to them becoming more prevalent on the North Clydes. 334s are great modern units (although I hate the middle carriage), and 318s are the only train I know where the 3+2 seating actually works! Both of them beat the 320s by a country mile.
 

Daimler

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2009
Messages
1,197
Location
Hertfordshire
Hardly a new thing- what about all the "PEP" based units (313-315, 507&8)? Even Mark 3s (both crriages and units) have a slight taper. I'm also not sure that the sides of the 350/450/444 (and 360?) bodyshell profile are as vertical as you think they are, and that the paint job on the 380 makes the sides look more tapered. Paintjobs can either accentuate or hide these sort of things.

Yeah, but the keyword with the Mk3s is slight. Not like the ridiculous Electrostars. Why taper? No tilt!

Hate to disappoint Daimler; they're actually tapered. From the shot inside, the taper looks similar to that of the x50 body, outside it looks slightly more so, although I think that is a combination of angle of shot and the angle of nose.

You could be right, but when you look at how much the doors curve herehttp://www.upmain.fotopic.net/p62162760.html, it definitely looks greater than on the 350s.

I hope you are right, as apart from this they look - to me - like another good Siemens product.
 

The_Stig

Member
Joined
20 Jan 2009
Messages
364
I like the whole look of the 380, inside and out, from the exterior there is very little difference with the 350's- i.e. the light clusters and the tilting gangway.

The 334's look a little bland with their slightly curved ends, something that will be made even worse with the new livery, IMO.

I also like the fact that the 380 has abolished the 3 seating arrangements.

I just wish that the 380's were on my local line as I think that they will be a remarkable EMU.
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,662
Location
Hampshire
I like the whole look of the 380, inside and out, from the exterior there is very little difference with the 350's- i.e. the light clusters and the tilting gangway.

The 334's look a little bland with their slightly curved ends, something that will be made even worse with the new livery, IMO.

I also like the fact that the 380 has abolished the 3 seating arrangements.

I just wish that the 380's were on my local line as I think that they will be a remarkable EMU.

Well have fun with them becasue from the pictures...they certainly dont look as solidly built as the proper UK Desiros...More Bombardier Cheapo Electrostar...Basically like a giant plastic Airfix kit that still feels over plastically and dosent feel solid no matter how much superglue you use...

As for the comparison between taperd sides and the 380...The Siemens desiro fleet does have a very slight taper...as evident around the doors...The Cafs do also have a minor tapor just below the window line but still have fairly flat upper sides...As does the Alstom / Almost Juniper Fleet but roughly in the same place as the Desiros...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/58/Juniper_at_Largs_station.jpg

Whereas this is as about as bad as the Bombardier fleet...which, mostly the 380...Which looks more like a half melted Tupperware box... on wheels with (the 380) a rather hidious frontal extention...

As for your comparision between the 350 and 380 Stig...Think youll find there really are many differences between this and the 350 fron wise...the corridor, taper, interior and Front lights really realy come to mind!

Funny how ive just rememberd how attractive the SWT / Gat Ex Juniper Fleet look attractive...:roll:

Otherwise...Should we officially say that modern units need to have a slight bodyside taper but otherwise largely straight...eg the Cafs and Desiro Uk Fleets...
 

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2006
Messages
6,727
Location
Milton Keynes
with the mention on this thread of tapered bodyshells, I had a look at some DB trains last night, only s-bahn's seem tapered and they don't tilt (top speed 50mph). Even the tilting ICEs don't have tapered bodyshells
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
having looked at photos (sorry The Stig, but you didn't get what I meant- I meant end-on, rather than the "normal" shot", ideally a depot shot). I'll grant there is more of a taper.

The taper of the *star classes can be traced to the Networkers (from which they sprang).

As for the "need" for taper on tilting trains- it's only really a need with restricted clearance. It won't add much to stability, but it will help make sure they don't foul platforms and lineside structures.
 

The_Stig

Member
Joined
20 Jan 2009
Messages
364
having looked at photos (sorry The Stig, but you didn't get what I meant- I meant end-on, rather than the "normal" shot", ideally a depot shot). I'll grant there is more of a taper.

Ah, I have only found this front shot so far.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well have fun with them becasue from the pictures...they certainly dont look as solidly built as the proper UK Desiros...More Bombardier Cheapo Electrostar...Basically like a giant plastic Airfix kit that still feels over plastically and dosent feel solid no matter how much superglue you use...

Whereas this is as about as bad as the Bombardier fleet...which, mostly the 380...Which looks more like a half melted Tupperware box... on wheels with (the 380) a rather hidious frontal extention...

All they have done is cover the anti carriage ride over device with a plastic cover to make it look more stream lined.

As for your comparision between the 350 and 380 Stig...Think youll find there really are many differences between this and the 350 fron wise...the corridor, taper, interior and Front lights really realy come to mind!

That would be why I said "from the exterior there is very little difference with the 350's- i.e. the light clusters and the tilting gangway."
 

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2009
Messages
3,855
Location
UK
http://cjm.fotopic.net/p62166777.html

Is it me, or does it look a little, well more basic interior, the ceiling and the display and the whole train looks a bit bare compared to other desiros, dare I say cheaper the display just looks vastly inferior to that on other desiros, a great big mounting with a pretty narrow display which is totally the opposite to the other desiros.
 

Daimler

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2009
Messages
1,197
Location
Hertfordshire
http://cjm.fotopic.net/p62166777.html

Is it me, or does it look a little, well more basic interior, the ceiling and the display and the whole train looks a bit bare compared to other desiros, dare I say cheaper the display just looks vastly inferior to that on other desiros, a great big mounting with a pretty narrow display which is totally the opposite to the other desiros.

I don't know if I entirely agree - yes, the ceiling has less...erm...complexity (?) than that of other Desiros, *EDIT* but once the plastic covering (or so it seems to me) has been removed from the floor and the carpet revealed, it will look rather more plush - and more in keeping with what we've come to expect from Desiros. *EDIT*

EDIT: Just realised - there is no plastic covering, it's just plastic floor. :cry:
 
Last edited:

Helvellyn

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2009
Messages
2,588
It look essentially an evolution of the Desiro family. The new crash worthiness standards for the front end mean the cab looks a bolt on, rather than part of the design with the earlier members of the family. But then you only need to see the Class 70s to see how the new standards are affecting front end design.

Interior wise it looks pretty much like a Desiro. The single lighting strip looks asthetically a retrograde step in my opinion, and the PIS display looks a bolt on with that big plastic framing. But otherwise it has the smae seats as used in Class 185, 350/1 and 444 units. I think the lack of a carpet doesn't help, as the lino style floor looks very bland.

It'll be interesting to see what impact the new crash worthiness standards mean for front end corridor connections in future. Siemens have come up with a novel design, even if it looks bulky!
 

Pumbaa

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
5,022
In contrast, the lighting/air con strip down the middle is a big step up in my opinion. The current Desiro standard fitting is awful; very clinical, very functional and not aesthetically pleasing (very german ;) ) and this I think rectifies this.

The carpeting though - it makes a train a little more bearable. cl458s fall down significantly in this respect.
 

Bittern

Established Member
Joined
8 Apr 2009
Messages
1,919
Location
Scotland
So this is the first known unit to be built?

It looks nice, but the "nose" is a bit too big. Plus, where is the number?
 

RobShipway

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2009
Messages
3,337
I think the class 380 looks great and I personally like the Desiro trains. I would prefer that South West Trains had kept the Class 450's on the Reading - London Waterloo route, rather than have the class 458's which I think should be used on the Windsor line.
 

starrymarkb

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2009
Messages
5,985
Location
Exeter
So this is the first known unit to be built?

It looks nice, but the "nose" is a bit too big. Plus, where is the number?

The Nose is required for crash worthiness - have a look at new continental designs - ie the new ET422, The Dutch GTWs, The new Eurodesiro - as I've said before the extra reinforcement is to protect the driver in situations like Barrow Upon Soar, or if hitting a car on a crossing.

Number will be added later, at the moment the vehicle (rest of the unit isn't finished yet, its just the first vehicle to be rolled out) is awaiting stickers and such.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top