• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Santander Cycles (London) docking station locations and convenience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,643
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
From https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/cycle-restrictions-at-motherwell.297282/#post-7705887

Honestly, I don’t blame you, I’d have done the same. The scheme in London just doesn’t seem to be extensive enough, the amount of times I’ve wanted to use one but found the nearest bay is literally miles away is absurd.

If I recall rightly, at the time the scheme was started it was stated that it had no real intention of dealing with journeys of very high demand, because it's an incredibly inefficient way of doing so. Therefore docking stations are mostly well away from stations to prevent 1000 people showing up at once wanting a bike. After all, London has a transport system designed for mass use - the Tube and buses - and the cycle scheme could never really deal with this. It is primarily intended for "awkward" journeys that are not well provided for by the Tube and buses (as a cheaper, healthier alternative to a taxi, basically), and secondarily for those who are enthusiastic enough cyclists but aren't using their own bike to make those duplicate journeys.

Some attempt is made to manage this by moving bikes around in vans, e.g. a huge stock can be seen prepared for the evening in various places if you go for a wander around the City at lunchtime. But it could never realistically deal with the kind of numbers using the Waterloo and City Line, for instance, and it therefore doesn't really attempt it.

However, it can be used for that if you specifically want, it just means a short walk to a suitable docking station from the station, there are usually several nearby, they're just deliberately not right outside the door.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,835
Location
Nowhere Heath
I never looked at it like that, however that’s a good point :) The bikes are a handy way of getting around without the crowding on the Underground, although that then means dealing with traffic as well which can be so much worse!

You have indirectly reminded me that I want to finish coverage of CS8 and indeed get on with CS1 when I’m next in London. Something to research this week when it’s cold in the evenings!
 

styles

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
4,917
Location
Gwynedd
I used the Santander Cycles for commuting for a couple of years. I was on the outer boundary of where their docking stations were and was commuting into the City. I can't remember where I got the discount but I got their annual membership on some sort of offer for around £40. If I'd done it on cycle to work scheme it would've been net closer to £20.

The bikes are bulky so they can withstand some abuse, so they're not exactly spritely, but you could pick up a good pace once your calf muscles had been conditioned!

The trick on the annual membership is it was unlimited 30 minute rides, and my commute was on the cusp, so if I got stung by all the red lights and chose not to dismount and walk the bike past the red light instead of waiting, I'd sometimes have to dock it and undock it again en-route. Thankfully they've changed the limited to 60 minutes instead now, which is potentially even long enough to get from one end of the docking zone to the other.

There were plenty of other people also using them for commuting. I'd see the same faces some mornings as well.

I'd do the same again if I were living in London again. Less worry about having my bike nicked and claiming on insurance.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top